Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfills for vacation purposes

SCENARIO: Let's just say you're going on vacation (e.g. a cruise, Hawaii). Anyway, you know there will be a lot of new tastes that you would like to explore unrestricted by your "implanted tool." Would your Doc unfill your band?

I guess it would be up to you....I know people unfill for health reasons( like they need more calories)......I suppose the same could be done if you chose to eat more on your vacation.....The port can withstand I believe close to 200 punctures......If you are self paying your fill provider should do what you ask and pay for......

There is a school of thought that more fills and unfills lead to complications.

That said, there is at least one band doctor who does his own fills and unfills so he can pig out at Bariatric Conferences. Go figure.

I don't know if cost is a concern, but a trick like that would have cost me around $2000...a grand for the unfill and a grand for the refill, if I did it in town.

There are a lot of people who will say that you you shouldn't do it and there will be a few people who say you should if you want to.

My 2 cents, you can taste all kinds of new foods with restriction. There is no need to get an unfill. A bite or 2 of something is enough to get a taste and still enjoy what your eatting, with out undoing all the good your band has done, and with out busting your diet.

There are endless meal opportunities on a cruise. You can eat all day and all night if you have a mind to. I wouldn't get an unfill unless I was too tight to begin with. I would just try to taste what I wanted, but not eat until I was sick. I'm going on a cruise over Christmas. I don't plan to get an unfill, but I do plan to enjoy the cruise. Remember: it's not all about food. :)

Whether your Dr. would or wouldn't do the unfill I think is insignificant....the question should be "should I have the unfill or shouldn't I".

My opinion is....unless you require an unfill for health reasons or because you may be too tight and not taking in enough food for proper nutrition.....an unfill for any other purpose goes against everything you are suppose to be learning about a healthier new lifestyle while receiving assistance from the band as a tool. I think an unfill for vacation purposes may set most people up for failure.....just my opinion.

Carol

If I was to tell my Dr. I wanted my band unfilled so I could eat on vacation I know for a fact he would say NO!!!

I wouldnt be questioning my doctor, I would be questioning myself why I would even think of such a thing. When I was a t my tightest, I was stil lable to eat any food, just took me alot longer and I ate alot less of it. Vacationing with the band was the best for me. I could still enjoy food but not gain weight.

Whether your Dr. would or wouldn't do the unfill I think is insignificant....the question should be "should I have the unfill or shouldn't I".

My opinion is....unless you require an unfill for health reasons or because you may be too tight and not taking in enough food for proper nutrition.....an unfill for any other purpose goes against everything you are suppose to be learning about a healthier new lifestyle while receiving assistance from the band as a tool. I think an unfill for vacation purposes may set most people up for failure.....just my opinion.

Carol

well said woodys i could not agree with u more, you cant decide to have a band then not use it when it suits you, no point at all, its there for a reason to restrict our calorie intake and thats the the way it should stay !!

I had a total unfill recently for medical reasons. I plan on getting some Fluid restriction soon. In the mean time, I have gained over 30 pounds and my health has started to deteriorate.

Why risk your health for a vacation?

Yes, I have weaknesses and that's what caused me to gain the weight, but to put one's self into that position voluntarily is dangerous.

Please do not do it.

I met a lady in the fill office who had done just this. She got an unfill to go on a cruise. 4 weeks later, she returned and she had gained 22 whopping lbs! I don't know about you, but it's hard enough for me to lose the first time!

Hmmmm, your theory sounds realistic, but your band is there for a reason, so is the fill, I think an unfill would be abuse to your band...JMI. (you asked).

Thanks everyone for replying. You've made some very valid points. Now, the rest of the story . . .

Yesterday, I attended a weight loss seminar to become familiar with one of the surgeons I've been considering for my lapband implant. Well, because of LBT I was well-prepared with my list of questions.

I approached the surgeon for a little one-on-one question and answer. As you've probably guessed by now, one of the questions on my list was, "Will you unfill my band upon request for vacation purposes."

I could tell he was caught off guard by the question and he intially responded to the question with, "Have you heard of other lapband surgeons who do that?" I said, "Yes." He stood there for another moment formulating his thoughts and said, "No, I wouldn't do it." Of course, he gave a brief explanation as to why, which I countered with, "When you go on vacation, don't you have the tendency to eat more and even gain weight? He responded with, "Yes."

I think the conversation just kinda trailed off after that or someone else had a question. I don't really remember. But, I do remember thinking that I wouldn't necessarily want my band unfilled for a vacation, but I didn't necessarily like the fact that the surgeon's plan was to control the band (and therefore me) by not allowing the option.

Whatever happened to the band being MY tool?

Now, in my mind, the question becomes should I even consider this surgeon? Obviously, if we disagree on who really controls MY band, then is he the surgeon for me?

We went on vacation last year and I thought why didn't I get an unfill. But then I said, this is the purpose of the band. Had I been on any other diet, I would have gone off the diet for vacation and probably not gone back after returning home. I tasted every thing I wanted to taste. I missed out on nothing. I just had a bite or two and it felt good to know I stayed on track with my band. :clap2:

I don't look at it as your Dr "controlling" YOUR band....I see it as your Dr, being a medical professional, taking a stand and making a decision based on what would be best for your health. And as a medical professional.....I can't see any Dr being comfortable giving an unfill for such a reason since it is totally self serving and not for medical reasons. Therefore, I don't regard this as controlling your band however, I do see it as acting responsibly as a medical professional.

Why should a Dr's time be spent on tending to a patient for such self serving reasons when it could be spent on a patient who needs his assistance medically.

I think I better shut up now.

Carol