Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Able To Tell My Story

Sorry - I've really been out of the loop. Not much energy and not being able to read due to te words all blurring together from pain meds has kept me from coming on here to update. Lame, I know.

So, September 12 came and as I expected, I was a wreck. I kept thinking to myself, "what the hell am I doing??" I'll spare you all of my childlike ways in the hospital.

I asked for versed as I always do and reminded them that it usually takes about 4 hits of that. Nobody ever believes me and that day wasn't any different. They gave me an IV right away and an hours worth of antibiotic pre surgery. Oh- did I forget to mention that they (hospital staff) each greeted me in yellow gowns? I knew what that was all about. 6 years ago I was hospitalized for almost a month due to complications from gall bladder surgery- one of which was MRSA. I chuckled it off and understand hospital policies.

So when it was time to go- I had to say goodbye my hubby, mom and dad. Dad is my rock. Always so comforting in situations like this. You would never know it on a day to day basis.

Wheeled me in the cold OR immediately knew I was WAY to alert to e brought in this room. I took note of my surroundings... The two young girls each holding some sort of instrument in their hands- a couple others staring at me and the wonderful nurse anesthesis who sounded like he was from Jamacia. He says to me "there is no crying in here... Only happy thoughts. I'll give you something shortly to relax you". Those 1-2 minutes had to be the longest part (again- wayyyy to alert). I kept staring at the ceiling vent and actually was negotiating with myself to stay as I really considered getting up and walking out of there. I gave him about a minute in my mind or I was out of there. He won.

I woke up in recovery in excruciating pain. Begged the nurse for drug. She kept telling me they gave me dilauted and it would be just a couple minutes. Don't believe that crap. It wasnt better. Begged her for more. She was annoyed with me (my only complaint of the process) but I didn't care. I ended up staying in recovery longer but they didn't help me. I remember asking her "how the hell can you send me to my room feeling like this?". She remained cold, that is, until my friend since 5th grade walked in who is also a nurse anesthesis, to see me. The nurse said "you know each other?". She was nice to me after that.

I spent Wed- Fri in hospital. All in all it went extremely well according to doctor. They took pics which I have no idea what they all are but they also found cysts on my ovaries and told my hubby to tell me to bring pics to my ObGYN. I don't have one. A GP with do.

Thursday they took my catheter out and then told

me I had to pee by 7:30 pm. No pressure. I peed but not enough. Nurse would have loved to cath me. Thank god Doc didn't feel that way. She ordered another saline drip that went in over an hour timespan. Phew!

I also received Heparin shots twice daily due to history of blood clot.

Friday the drain came out. Ouch! The day before the CNA was emptying and pulling it and the damn thing jabbed me in the ribs! So Friday I was scared to get that out even though I had those before. I didn't like that at all.

Took a shower at the hospital per my request. I love the setup hospitals have. I also asked the doctor to stay to which she told me I was doing "perfectly" and I would heal better at home". My request was denied. I'd probabaly stay there for a month if they let me. Anything that feels weird will send me to the ER - Speaking of, Ive almost made it through the weekend with no ER!

Since Wed- I have struggled with has pain mostly stuck under my ribs. That sucks. I can't drink a lot which the goal is 64 ounces . Dr emphasizes that that she has 3 things that matter in this order 1) 64 ounces liquids 2) Protein 3) Vitamins. Still working on getting 30 in much less 64. I did add a Protein shake today. I feel weak.

I also struggle with feeling bloated and full of air. I wish I could let one huge belch out. I miss that.

I smell food and drool- well not really but I want to. There is no way my tummy would ever tolerate any of that food but for whatever reason I really miss it. I was fine pre op. I can't wait for puréed so I can have cottage cheese. Weird.

I forgot to mention that I weighed 9 pounds less than my highest weight the morning of surgery. I gained 6 of that back when I left and hung on to that until this morning. I'm officially down14 pounds from highest and 5 since surgery. Although none of those numbers matter to me right now. For Pete sake I'm not eating anything. There is a lot of Water weight to deal with in the beginning and I honestly expect I will go up and down.

Thats all folks. I'm off of work for 4 weeks. I cannot imagine going back any sooner. Kudos to those who do.

Dr follow up 7-10 days. I do have maybe 6 staples to be pulled and I don't look forward to that. Had those before too. Oh well- I made it over the hump.

Until next time.

Oh I forgot to add- I haven't puked once and I don't ever plan to. I hate that feeling so I'm really paying attention to body cues. :)

Wow sounds like you had a horrible experience. I went to Tijuana Mexico and it was the most wonderful, great experience. From the amazing Doctor, caring nurses, all the people I met. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Something to be said about Mexican health care.

I hope that you are doing better day by day. It is day 6 for me and everyday gets better.

You now have what I call a "Tiny Tummy" take care of it.

Glad u are home my buddie! You know if u need to talk I am here.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST

Wow sounds like you had a horrible experience. I went to Tijuana Mexico and it was the most wonderful' date=' great experience. From the amazing Doctor, caring nurses, all the people I met. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Something to be said about Mexican health care.

I hope that you are doing better day by day. It is day 6 for me and everyday gets better.

You now have what I call a "Tiny Tummy" take care of it.[/quote']

Oh maybe I portrayed it badly- the only complain t was the recovery nurse. The rest of staff was wonderful. I pay attention to every detail and a big part of this is my freak self who is petrified of this stuff.

Sorry - I've really been out of the loop. Not much energy and not being able to read due to te words all blurring together from pain meds has kept me from coming on here to update. Lame, I know.

So, September 12 came and as I expected, I was a wreck. I kept thinking to myself, "what the hell am I doing??" I'll spare you all of my childlike ways in the hospital.

I asked for versed as I always do and reminded them that it usually takes about 4 hits of that. Nobody ever believes me and that day wasn't any different. They gave me an IV right away and an hours worth of antibiotic pre surgery. Oh- did I forget to mention that they (hospital staff) each greeted me in yellow gowns? I knew what that was all about. 6 years ago I was hospitalized for almost a month due to complications from gall bladder surgery- one of which was MRSA. I chuckled it off and understand hospital policies.

So when it was time to go- I had to say goodbye my hubby, mom and dad. Dad is my rock. Always so comforting in situations like this. You would never know it on a day to day basis.

Wheeled me in the cold OR immediately knew I was WAY to alert to e brought in this room. I took note of my surroundings... The two young girls each holding some sort of instrument in their hands- a couple others staring at me and the wonderful nurse anesthesis who sounded like he was from Jamacia. He says to me "there is no crying in here... Only happy thoughts. I'll give you something shortly to relax you". Those 1-2 minutes had to be the longest part (again- wayyyy to alert). I kept staring at the ceiling vent and actually was negotiating with myself to stay as I really considered getting up and walking out of there. I gave him about a minute in my mind or I was out of there. He won.

I woke up in recovery in excruciating pain. Begged the nurse for drug. She kept telling me they gave me dilauted and it would be just a couple minutes. Don't believe that crap. It wasnt better. Begged her for more. She was annoyed with me (my only complaint of the process) but I didn't care. I ended up staying in recovery longer but they didn't help me. I remember asking her "how the hell can you send me to my room feeling like this?". She remained cold, that is, until my friend since 5th grade walked in who is also a nurse anesthesis, to see me. The nurse said "you know each other?". She was nice to me after that.

I spent Wed- Fri in hospital. All in all it went extremely well according to doctor. They took pics which I have no idea what they all are but they also found cysts on my ovaries and told my hubby to tell me to bring pics to my ObGYN. I don't have one. A GP with do.

me I had to pee by 7:30 pm. No pressure. I peed but not enough. Nurse would have loved to cath me. Thank god Doc didn't feel that way. She ordered another saline drip that went in over an hour timespan. Phew!

Friday the drain came out. Ouch! The day before the CNA was emptying and pulling it and the damn thing jabbed me in the ribs! So Friday I was scared to get that out even though I had those before. I didn't like that at all.

Took a shower at the hospital per my request. I love the setup hospitals have. I also asked the doctor to stay to which she told me I was doing "perfectly" and I would heal better at home". My request was denied. I'd probabaly stay there for a month if they let me. Anything that feels weird will send me to the ER - Speaking of, Ive almost made it through the weekend with no ER!

Since Wed- I have struggled with has pain mostly stuck under my ribs. That sucks. I can't drink a lot which the goal is 64 ounces . Dr emphasizes that that she has 3 things that matter in this order 1) 64 ounces liquids 2) Protein 3) Vitamins. Still working on getting 30 in much less 64. I did add a Protein shake today. I feel weak.

I also struggle with feeling bloated and full of air. I wish I could let one huge belch out. I miss that.

I smell food and drool- well not really but I want to. There is no way my tummy would ever tolerate any of that food but for whatever reason I really miss it. I was fine pre op. I can't wait for puréed so I can have cottage cheese. Weird.

I forgot to mention that I weighed 9 pounds less than my highest weight the morning of surgery. I gained 6 of that back when I left and hung on to that until this morning. I'm officially down14 pounds from highest and 5 since surgery. Although none of those numbers matter to me right now. For Pete sake I'm not eating anything. There is a lot of Water weight to deal with in the beginning and I honestly expect I will go up and down.

Thats all folks. I'm off of work for 4 weeks. I cannot imagine going back any sooner. Kudos to those who do.

Dr follow up 7-10 days. I do have maybe 6 staples to be pulled and I don't look forward to that. Had those before too. Oh well- I made it over the hump.

Until next time.

Hi,

Sorry you're having a rough time... but try to look at it this way....as VSTers like to say...........you are on the other side! I really think it's a good way to describe this part of the process because most people start the journey months before, sometime years ...I think of surgery day as the halfway point and climbing down to the peaceful valley is the actual goal..... I'm still on the journey up ( 2 more months).... and now you're finally on the journey down the mountain!! :) I hope that's not too corny?

Hope everyday gets better for you!!!!!!!!

~Dana

Hi' date='

Sorry you're having a rough time... but try to look at it this way....as VSTers like to say...........you are on the other side! I really think it's a good way to describe this part of the process because most people start the journey months before, sometime years ...I think of surgery day as the halfway point and climbing down to the peaceful valley is the actual goal..... I'm still on the journey up ( 2 more months).... and now you're finally on the journey down the mountain!! :) I hope that's not too corny?

Hope everyday gets better for you!!!!!!!!

~Dana[/quote']

I love that and so needed to hear it- thank u! I live in the moment - especially now. I've actually not focused on why I did this surgery and don't pay much attention to weight loss. I'm so caught up in how my body is reacting. Could be good and bad ;)

Yay Justine! You made it through =) It sounds like it's been a rough recovery, but it's all downhill from here. It's hard to see the good now when you're in pain, but it is there. It gets better, and before you know it you're gonna be like 6 weeks out and saying how great you feel. Congratulations!

So glad you made it thru!! I am almost 2 weeks post op & feel almost 100% normal again. I hope you heal quickly!!

Robyn

Sorry - I've really been out of the loop. Not much energy and not being able to read due to te words all blurring together from pain meds has kept me from coming on here to update. Lame' date=' I know.

Until next time.[/quote']

Wow your experience sounds some like mine - I went in on the 12th & thought I was goin home on the 13th but when I tell you my side incisions & that whole area hurt so bad I could barely move so the Dr said I could stay an extra night... I was drinking ok but now I'm getting that stuck feeling which to me is almost worse then the side pain... They also had to repair a hiatal hernia... According to my Dr everything went great & I didn't have any nausea or anything like that-just the side pain which I just took pain pills for but funny I can lay on the left side & I have a rolled up soft blanket up under my side but when I move can I say ouch like someone is poking w/ a knife...

Today I have had Water, for some reason the lemonade flavored crystal light doesn't taste as good to me so just sticking to water for now... About 6oz of Tomato Soup & 2-4 spoons of Gerber apple sauce which went down pretty good & 2 oz of Atkins Advantage shake...

But again the stuck feeling is really getting in my last nerve & like you I don't have any real energy & then I keep reminding myself I just had surgery a few days ago & it takes time for our bodies to heal... I will be screaming hallelujah the day I feel like a normal person & am eating normal as well...

& like you I'm taking a month off work, I'm doin short term disability b/c ik my body & I want time to feel somewhat normal before I go back to work...

Well sorry for going on & on & I really hope you & I both & whoever else is experiencing some of these same symptoms that we all feel normal real soon... My experience @ the hospital I must say was great, all staff was wonderful & once the anestiseologist came in & said you ready for your margaritas & I said yes & the next thing I remember is waking up in my private room w/ my daughter & friends saying hello...

Sent from my iPhone using VST