Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the lap band healthy?

Thank you ALL for your responses. I will keep reading on this site because I need diversified viewpoints. In this thread, I get to read some of the "not so nice" things about being banded. I know it will take lifestyle changes, and yes, I am going forward, but I want to be as informed about all sides as possible. Dawn I like what you said about being "active" again (wink, wink). To all who responded, thank you for caring enough to voice your opinion.

I know that it was a hard decision whether to have or not to have the band.... my story is really crazy and I was debanded in Jan '06 I now have had the gastric sleeve.... and it is totally different.... I wish you the best and if ever you want to talk to me... I am here.;)

I am awaiting approval and have been on this site continuously looking for the good and bad. This particular thread caught my eye as most of you do not appear thrilled with the band. I myself am quite afraid of any WLS, but I am also afraid of the complications that may occur with my health if I don't do something. But am I trading one unhealthy lifestyle( obesity) for another unhealthy lifestyle (PBing, slimming, reflux, etc...) Gosh, this is so depressing, I know, seek the advice of the medical profession, but often it will be you guys that will tell the truth about living it and that is equally important. I don't even know if this warrants a response, just posting my thoughts....

I just wanted to say that PBing, sliming, and reflux are not a "lifestyle" at all. They are the consequences of not eating correctly, or signs that the band is not working properly for a certain person. Most people do NOT endure these symptoms on a regular basis.

As far as reflux goes, I had really bad reflux before being banded. Since surgery, I have had ZERO, even when I eat something I know will cause it, like meatloaf or something. My surgeon told me reflux rates go down after surgery.

Thank you ALL for your responses. I will keep reading on this site because I need diversified viewpoints. In this thread, I get to read some of the "not so nice" things about being banded. I know it will take lifestyle changes, and yes, I am going forward, but I want to be as informed about all sides as possible. Dawn I like what you said about being "active" again (wink, wink). To all who responded, thank you for caring enough to voice your opinion.

Keep in mind one issue. When people have problems they seek out sites like this to look for thoughts and opinions. Those not having any problems and have lost their weight often times have moved on with their life. You are going to see more negatives here for a reason. Consider the section of this forum you are posting in? :confused:

The other common complaint is that people aren't losing weight fast enough. Have YOU ever lost weight FAST enough? LOL! I know I haven't. We want what we want and we want it now. Right?

Banded life is pretty darn good 99 times out of 100. But living the fat life is good 1 time out of 100.

<snip>This particular thread caught my eye as most of you do not appear thrilled with the band.

I am thrilled with my band. I just avoid these types of threads. Not everyone here has issues with their band.

The Band is not the right surgery for everyone.. nor is the RNY, MGB, DS, or VSG. Sometimes, it's the right surgery for right now... but you may end up with a different surgery later on. The same goes for the other surgeries.

Reality is, this is a Lap Band board. Most of the people coming here are happy Lap-BAnders... or people looking into the Lap-BAnd. Makes sense. Places like OH tend to segregate people by surgery as well. Most of the people coming here have only recently been Banded and are still in their honeymoon phase (occurs with all surgeries... usually the first year to two years.) They want positive, happy support. They don't want to hear that the Band may not work long term or that complications may occur... or that even if they follow "the rules", they still may only lose 50-60% of their excess weight. (That's a tough one for many people to accept... that they won't get to "goal"... that they may be just average.) BUT, for most people, losing 50% of your excess weight and keeping it off is a pretty gigantic success. It doesn't happen with normal diets at all that have a 95-99% failure rate... with MO folks being much closer to the 99%.

Posting about complications or a not perfect Band experience can get people flamed. It happens here and it happens on other WLS boards. It's normal, in a way, as a defense mechanism. Just as thin people think that if only MO people would try harder... exercise a bit more "willpower"... exercise a bit more... they too could be thin. Thin people don't understand (and don't really want to hear) that Leptin and Ghrelin operate differently in MO folks. They don't want to hear that there has never been one scientific study showing that eating less and exercising more (or any of the behavioral changes) made a lasting weight loss effect for any obese individual. Success in the obesity field is when a drug lets somebody lose 10% of their bodyweight. Well, when you're MO, 10% doesn't mean squat. (For more on this, I highly recommend reading "Rethinking Thin.")

As for PBing and sliming, most people I know who are Banded do PB. Some do not. I know one person who never needed a fill in her Band to lose weight. But they are exceptions. Having said that, it becomes normal. You get used to looking for the restroom... carrying baggies in your purse, etc. You learn which foods are safe to usually eat out, and which are not. Perhaps the newer Bands reduce the incidence of PBing... I have no idea. But, there's a reason that most Bandsters know exactly what a PB is. :rolleyes: Just as most RNYers are familiar with dumping.

If you're looking into WLS, and are leaning towards the Lap-Band, then you know what?? You will discount the bad stories and focus on the good. That's normal. Same thing happens when a WLS patient dies in surgery... we all look for why that couldn't be us... his BMI was higher than mine... he had diabetes... whatever. BUT, reality is that it could have been any one of us. All surgery has risks... even Lap-Band surgery. It's a very low risk... but the risk still is there and somebody loses the statistical odds on occasion.

From what I've learned over the years, there is a sort of continuum... with effort necessary by the patient relating to risk and weight loss. So... Lap-Band in general requires more effort by the patient, but has less risk for complications and death... but usually less weight loss than the others. RNY/MGB do a bit more of the work, you lose a bit more, but the risk is a bit more. DS makes it a lot easier, but there is more risk...and you have to be more vigilant with supplements. VSG seems to look good short term, in that it does a lot, risk is low, weight loss comparable to RNY, etc... but there isn't a lot of long-term data out there. Thing is, for most surgeries (not sure if it applies to the DS), all this goes away 2-3 years post-op. Then all of the surgeries require effort. Then behavior really does matter... food choices... exercise. All of these are tools.

I would also say that people change over time. Lap-Band was perfect for me six years ago. Fit in with the risk I was willing to take, amount I could afford to pay (self-pay), and future plans (hoping to one day get married and have a baby.) Today, I'm in a different place. I'm glad that it is so easy to remove my Lap-Band and choose a different surgery should I want to. Not all revisions are that easy. So for those of you who say, "I could never have my stomach cut... or my intestines rearranged... I would just say, "never say never."" :star:

;Not all revisions are that easy. So for those of you who say, I could never have my stomach cut... or my intestines rearranged... I would just say, never say never.&"

To that I can only add, please do not judge me until you have walked in my shoes, and Fabfatgrl, enjoy your precious babies. They are lucky to have such a sensible mom.

Check out my posts about why I have to have my band removed. My doctor has tremendous success w/RNY after band removal.

I love the OH, New York site where bandsters, RNY'ers and DS'ers GS'ers (what did I leave out?) all support one another and respect one anothers' right to make the informed decisions they feel is right for them.

My decision was simple: "risk" a surgery I never thought I'd have, or risk not seeing my children get married because I dropped dead of a heart attack or stroke." Good luck to all.

I just had to have my band removed because of a pretty significant slip. I had it for a couple of years. I did have the option of having it replaced but I opted for removal because of the generally unhealthy feeling I had even when it was in the proper place. Reflux, vomiting, heartburn, Constipation, all these things just became part of my life. I also felt I could easily eat bad foods and not so easily eat good foods, like fruits and veggies and lean meats. Is is just me or do others feel that way? I don't want to badmouth the band because I know it helps people but I just wonder if I failed or if it failed. I don't know.

Holly:

I had the band put on in Apr of 05. I lost 50 lb, had a nightmare hour and half 2nd filll that I still can't shake remembering. They just kept stabbing and stabbing me in belly but couldn't hit the port. I swore I would never go back and I haven't. Like you, I can't eat the "good stuff" like veges and meat but I tell people, if it melts on my tougue, I can get it down. eg crackers, ice creeam, cookies...It is a shame and I haven't lost a pound since the initial 50. I am sorry I ever did it. I tell everyone my story in hopes I can save other people from the same fate. All the "bypass" people at work are skinny and they look at me with such pity as I am stilly a fatty. It hurts. I understand you if anyone does.

vanhos

Holly:

I had the band put on in Apr of 05. I lost 50 lb, had a nightmare hour and half 2nd filll that I still can't shake remembering. They just kept stabbing and stabbing me in belly but couldn't hit the port. I swore I would never go back and I haven't. Like you, I can't eat the "good stuff" like veges and meat but I tell people, if it melts on my tougue, I can get it down. eg crackers, ice creeam, cookies...It is a shame and I haven't lost a pound since the initial 50. I am sorry I ever did it. I tell everyone my story in hopes I can save other people from the same fate. All the "bypass" people at work are skinny and they look at me with such pity as I am stilly a fatty. It hurts. I understand you if anyone does.

vanhos

Why in the world would you let someone do that for 90 minutes straight? Why didn't you walk out and find someone a little more experienced? I've had fills with and without fluoro and I've never been stuck more than twice and it never took longer than 5 minutes for the part with the needle. We chat and discuss things but the needle part has never been more than 5 minutes tops.

I'd suggest you get a "good" fill under fluoro by someone who has a clue. You might be overfilled or you might have other issues going on. But to eat Cookies and ice cream... you are right. You won't lose weight. Even when the good foods are all but impossible there are alternatives. My first five months of banding was a horror, but it was due to a medical reason and not the band directly. I had the same exact problems as you but I was forced to pick foods I could get down such as Protein Shakes, V8 juice, etc. The cookies and ice cream are clearly not doing the trick for you so you need to get the problem diagnosed and treated. It might be anything from an overfill to stress.

For veggies try this:

Gift Baskets, Dried Fruits, Nuts

Do a search for veggie chips.< /p>

For crunchy Protein an option is:

Netrition's Kitchen Table Bakers Prices

For liquid meal replacements:

matrix 5.0 list of all sizes and flavors. Find all matrix 5.0 products at AllStarHealth.com

I've been where you are, I swear I have been. I wanted my band removed, ask anyone here that's been here a few months. Turns out my problem wasn't because of the band but it was made severe because of the band and once it was fixed I can now eat regular foods. But I went through exactly what you are now. That means you find foods that are still healthy but something you can manage.

When we are challenged with band issues there is still a choice between low cal foods and high cal. That's where it is up to you. You can have a Protein Shake or a bowl of ice cream. Veggie chips or cookies. Parmesan cheese crackers or saltines.

Dear WasaBubbleButt

Can I ask what was medically wrong with you to make the band worse?

Just wondering, because I am so nervous about my new band and what could affect it......I don't mean to pry :)

Dear WasaBubbleButt

Can I ask what was medically wrong with you to make the band worse?

Just wondering, because I am so nervous about my new band and what could affect it......I don't mean to pry :)

You aren't prying.

My doc gave me a drug called Luvox. It's the same class as Prozac. It works on the nerve impulses between my stomach and brain. It basically tells my brain to chill, there isn't too much restriction.

I have stomach spasms as well. I never knew it before I got a band placed, after the band was placed it became an issue. It's due to stress. Now with Luvox all is well and it's a total cure. I went from barfing 30+ times weekly to hardly ever now. Now when I PB it's my own fault for not thinking about what I'm doing. If I am on the phone, typing an email, and doing too many things while I eat I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. Too big of bites, not chewing well, etc.

My doc has done over 1400 bands and I'm the first person he's ever seen with this problem. Another doc in Mexico has done 3000 bands and he has two patients like me. So it's not common by any stretch.

I was the 2nd post on this thread, nearly a year ago. I haven't been back to this board in 8 months. I had to stop reading about complications...every little twinge in my belly was a certain crisis, but in my head only. I had to back off and get a life.

And life I've had. This is the best year I've had in a long, long time.

But I've also gained back a little weight. And as the pounds starting slowing coming back on….in my darkest moments….remembering the physical and emotional pain pre-banding, I considered getting a gastric something! I had ALWAYS said I'd never do a gastric bypass. I must admit being a little righteous about it back then! I’m sorry for that now. Never say never.

The reality for me is the band is fine, my attitude is not. I need to be more diligent about my fills and I need to follow the rules of the tool! I didn't have surgery on my head and I can conveniently forget the reasons I had WLS in the first place. Obesity kills, if we’re lucky and cripples if we’re not, a very painful and slow death. I was feeling so good only halfway to my goal weight; I forgot the pain and shame and the serious health issues. I got sloppy and lost my focus.

The successful banisters I know are serious about their health and they eat right most of the time, they know the slippery slope of getting sloppy thinking. They stay pretty much on plan until they get to goal and then they stay focused to stay there. If they start gaining a little, they get back to the rules of the tool. I plan to be one of them.

I support anyone who wants to get healthy; no matter what surgery they choose. In my opinion, any WLS can be beat. And any WLS can have complications. But any WLS has to be better than being morbidly obese and all that is associated with it.

I’m grateful for my band, even if I did have complications and I haven’t reached my goal weight. AND I’d do it again.

Best wishes to everyone!

Hello - who is the excellent band doctor in MI that you referred to? I've researched the surgery for a year and finally decided to have it. I live in SW MI. Thanks much.

harttohart, I live in Kalamazoo and was banded on may 31 of this year by Dr. Verseman at Borgess. doing just fine and really like my dr. do you live near me?

hart2hart, I live in Kalamazoo and was banded four months ago by dr. verseman at borgess hospital. i am doing great and really like dr. verseman. where do you live?