Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

General Questions about Erosion, etc.

If you do have complications with your band and you want to have it replaced do the doctors give you any kind of break with the price of replacing it. I was reading some of these posts and I am planning on self-paying. I would hate to spend all that $$ and chance something going wrong down the line. If the band has to come out, do you have to pay for that as well.

Are the complications looked @ as something that just happens and it's not the doctors fault?

Also, I most likely will go to Mexico for my surgery. I am figuring that if something did go wrong I wouldn't be able to fly back to have it removed, etc.

From what I gather, you pay for any re-banding or surgery that occurs. Since, it is listed as a risk. I have heard of price breaks for rebanding, depending upon the doctor.

Shawn

In my case I had my band erode. If I want another band all I pay for is the hospital stay, my doctor will not charge his fees again is what I was told, but I am doing great right now maintaining my weight loss for the last 10 months so I see NO new band in my future. I was told by my PCP that if I keep this weight off for a year my chances of keeping it off forever are great..

Every doctor is different, you may have to ask you particular doctor his policies on replacing a new band.

La_madam went to Mexico like I did for our surgeries. Sometimes they will give you a break for complications and sometimes they won't. They are more likely to do that than a US doc due to Insurance and Hospital costs.

I was lucky that my Insurance took care of all but $900 of my band removal. It just depends on how your US doc codes the surgery if your insurance will cover the cost. My insurance will NOT cover a rebanding. I was self pay to have the band placed in Mexico. I lost mine due to Erosion.

So what's the band made of to erode, plastic? How long would it be til it erodes & is that a normal thing for it to erode? Thanx.

The band itself does not erode. The term erosion simply means to break down. What breaks down is the stomach wall. It can happen from the inside of the stomach to the outside or start on the outside of the stomach and work inward. It is so unclear how erosion begins because we just can't catch it in it's early stages. Most times, like in my case, the band was between 40 to 60 percent into my stomach. Yes I had a hole in my stomach wall and the band was plugging it like a finger in a dike.

My doc thinks the reason for my erosion is due to a stitch that was placed wrong and simply became irritated from being rubbed by the band and caused a breakdown of the tissue. He also mentioned a differing technique used by my Mexico surgeon that has been not used here in the states by recommendation from Inamed.

Hope this helps clarify that the band does not break down. The stomach wall does.

The band itself does not erode. The term erosion simply means to break down. What breaks down is the stomach wall. It can happen from the inside of the stomach to the outside or start on the outside of the stomach and work inward. It is so unclear how erosion begins because we just can't catch it in it's early stages. Most times, like in my case, the band was between 40 to 60 percent into my stomach. Yes I had a hole in my stomach wall and the band was plugging it like a finger in a dike.

My doc thinks the reason for my erosion is due to a stitch that was placed wrong and simply became irritated from being rubbed by the band and caused a breakdown of the tissue. He also mentioned a differing technique used by my Mexico surgeon that has been not used here in the states by recommendation from Inamed.

Hope this helps clarify that the band does not break down. The stomach wall does.

What was the technique they used that Inamed does not approve of? I know Dr. Ortiz proctors for Inamed and he did my banding in Tijuana and used the "pars flaccida" technique. I checked my op notes and he used 3 stitches in mine. Just wondering what they did that Inamed does not recommend. Thanks. So sorry that this happened to you. I am self pay and would just literally "die" if something goes wrong.

Kay in St Jo Mo

What was the technique they used that Inamed does not approve of? I know Dr. Ortiz proctors for Inamed and he did my banding in Tijuana and used the "pars flaccida" technique. I checked my op notes and he used 3 stitches in mine. Just wondering what they did that Inamed does not recommend. Thanks. So sorry that this happened to you. I am self pay and would just literally "die" if something goes wrong.

Kay in St Jo Mo

Yes my Mexico surgeon used the OLD tech that Inamed strongly encourages against using since it has the potential to cause complications. The one thing I learned while going through my Erosion and removal and then speaking with Inamed is that they have NO control over what technique is used outside of the States. They can strongly recommend the pars flaccida technique is the only one used but some Mexico surgeons will use whatever technique they are most comfortable with and just hope for the best.

It has not been fun dealing with all my issues but hopefully I can get a handle on it someday.

Hi Penni,

Being newly banded, I seem to have more questions now. What were you feeling when your band eroded into your stomach? Since your band removal, do you have any complications today from the erosion? Can you be re-banded if you choose?

I would appreciate any information. Wishing you the best.

Hi Penni,

Being newly banded, I seem to have more questions now. What were you feeling when your band eroded into your stomach? Since your band removal, do you have any complications today from the erosion? Can you be re-banded if you choose?

I would appreciate any information. Wishing you the best.

I had a 'feeling' 'hunch' but nothing substantial to tell me that my band had eroded. I was at the 18 month mark and several of my friends that got banded the same time were starting to erode (very peculiar coincidence). So for peace of mind I asked my band surgeon to do an Endoscope to rule erosion out. Some people do have symptoms but I was one that still had restriction, no pain, and no other signs or symptoms of Erosion.

Since surgery to remove my band I have lead a normal life. No complications at all. My band doc put me on Nexium for the first 6 months to keep the stomach acid down while my stomach healed from the surgery. So far I have no issues other than I gained 30 lbs that I lost with the band. UGH!!

He said he would consider rebanding me in the future if that is what I want. He said it could get tricky due to the scarring from the initial surgery, but he would consider it. He suggested I get a RnY instead because he thinks I would do better with that type of WLS.

I am not considering any type of surgery at this point. I just want to have a normal life for the next 50 or so years. Of course as a woman I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. LOL!!

Thank God you caught that. I am happy to hear that you've had no problems since your removal. It's good to know that you could always think about being rebanding if you so choose. The best of the luck to you.

Regards,

Hello. I am in the market for getting the lap band at this point. This is the first I have heard of "erosion", but it is scaring me. I am going to finance this surgery...way beyond my means...but I am desperate to feel better. What are the chances of erosion? Like real stats...

I am tentatively planning to use Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana....if that is of any consequence. Any insight is appreciated.