Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cake Is My Weakness, Yes....but I Threw It Out

I must confess, cake is my weakness. Plain cake, nothing fancy. chocolate with choc or white icing, carrot or spice with cream cheese icing, white cake with chocolate icing. I love cake, oh, and my mom's "Butter" cake, it's the best pound cake ever!! You get the picture.

Well, this summer has been horrible for me, I managed to gain between 4 and 5 lbs, depending on the day. Family reunion, vacation and company here at our house has just about killed me. Sweets at every turn, and potato salad....things that are not normally kept at our house. These are things that I DO indulge in occasionally, just like a 'normal' person, but I don't bake a lot here at the house, unless I'm taking it somewhere else and can LEAVE it there!

Everything is over with, grandkids are in school and nothing 'family'ish' planned until Thanksgiving! I'm back on track, I've lost 2.5 lbs and in 3 more, I'll be happy. Cake was not suppose to be on the menu! I have to say, I am just below my doctor's goal, or I was yesterday, this morning I am AT his goal, exactly. I am more comfortable and feel 'safe' at 3 -5 lbs below that number!

So, on with this story - my husband's boss was in town yesterday, and it was his birthday. He is from out of state, NOT a Cowboy fan.....so the cake they ordered for him reflected 'his' team, a nice big sheet cake, but someone did order a cute little 6" round layer cake in honor of 'The Boys'. Chocolate cake with white buttercream icing and a Dallas Cowboy star in the middle! Half was left at the end of the day. I guess everyone kissed up and ate the other cake....never the less, my DH brought it home. I about died......there it sat all evening. I always have a little snack in the evening, so I weighed out 2 oz of cake. That is not a lot, a small slice in case you've never weighed cake. If anyone lives in the Dallas area, you've heard of Outta The Oven.....great bakery/deli here in town. That is where they'd gotten the cakes.

This morning I weighed a little more than I did yesterday morning, I knew that cake had to go. DH wanted a bite before I tossed it, so he took one bite and I took one last, tiny nibble. Outside to the trashcan it went. I thought I really did good - priorities!!! I chose to keep on track rather than think of how much that half a cake was worth!!! It was worth a couple of lbs, I'm sure!! :) I am finding it much easier since surgery to just throw something away. How about you, is it easier now? I wish I could HAVE IT IN THE HOUSE and not be the least bit tempted. I don't think that will ever happen!

I love cake too.

carrot with cream cheese icing

Hey Tex

i am not a cake lover , i love all chocolate, but not chocolate cake, go figure?- but when you came up with the carrot cake/cream cheese icing/ my mouth started to drool alitte :(;)

I never/never buy junk food, chips, Cookies, those big chocolate chip ones :mellow:

no kids home, or the grandkids, moved out of state :(

DH is overweight, and i don't/won't buy them for him :ph34r:

if all that stuff were in my pantry, hmmmm, it would be torture - try not to eat of course, but eventually i might have a "moment"

i might be sitting watching tv, minding my own business - poof - a couple of hundred candy bars would attack me , then what would i do :(;)

When i go to a gathering, i'm fine - don't overeat, never have thrown my neighbors potatoe salad out at their barbecue :lol:

If there were some yummies around just sitting there, begging to be eaten, you know like they are yelling to me, "hey chic, come on over here, we won't hurt you, just a little bite, yeah right ;)

if goodies are home, don't like the temptation - so yeah i would throw it out - maybe when i'm a "self-Controlled adult" i won't feel the need to throw it out, hmmmm, maybe in my dreams :lol:

Tex, to finally answer your question, no it hasn't gotten easier for me, won't eat it, but don't want it around/would throw any old addictions out the window

congrats on goal

Congratulations on your weight loss and your hard work to get there. You should be very proud of yourself.

Hey Tex

i am not a cake lover , i love all chocolate, but not chocolate cake, go figure?- but when you came up with the carrot cake/cream cheese icing/ my mouth started to drool alitte :(;)

I never/never buy junk food, chips, Cookies, those big chocolate chip ones :mellow:

no kids home, or the grandkids, moved out of state :(

DH is overweight, and i don't/won't buy them for him :ph34r:

if all that stuff were in my pantry, hmmmm, it would be torture - try not to eat of course, but eventually i might have a "moment"

i might be sitting watching tv, minding my own business - poof - a couple of hundred candy bars would attack me , then what would i do :(;)

When i go to a gathering, i'm fine - don't overeat, never have thrown my neighbors potatoe salad out at their barbecue :lol:

If there were some yummies around just sitting there, begging to be eaten, you know like they are yelling to me, "hey chic, come on over here, we won't hurt you, just a little bite, yeah right ;)

if goodies are home, don't like the temptation - so yeah i would throw it out - maybe when i'm a "self-Controlled adult" i won't feel the need to throw it out, hmmmm, maybe in my dreams :lol:

Tex, to finally answer your question, no it hasn't gotten easier for me, won't eat it, but don't want it around/would throw any old addictions out the window

congrats on goal

Kathy,

You'd love the carrot cake with cream cheese icing at this Outta The Oven bakery!!! My husband and I have gotten ONE cupcake and will share it.....a time or two. Not often, they are too good, so I KNOW they are bad!!! I'll take about a third and let him have the rest.

There are things I can have in the house that aren't tempting, but things that are, have to go. I think it will be this way for me forever. That is fine, just so I have the will power to toss whatever it is!!!

stacy