Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Sleevers! Announce Yourselves

Hello Susan, sorry to hear about your friend not understanding..... my advice would be to give her some time.... maybe even show her your research on the sleeve to get a better understanding. Some people are just better seeing for themselves rather than word of mouth. Hope everything gets better for you, hold your chin up and stay on course..... you have made the right decision for yourself

I have a unique bcbs plan thru my company where they particulary exclude bariatric surgery.......but my company approves 50 surgeries per year. I qualified for the surgery under the company plan, which took about 4 months to sort out, because they couldn't get it to show in the bcbs system that I was approved. A lot of going back and forth between the patient advocate and the insurance company....and of course the story always changes when you get someone different on the phone!

Finally once it was all sorted out, they told me I had to have a year of formal "coaching" to lose weight prior to surgery. I've been wanting this for years, so I just said screw it...I'm not putting it off another year, and started my research on self-pay.

I had to go through something similar with the advocate dept at my job too. I work for a catholic hospital and they did not want to cover the sleeve what so ever but we finally got everything together and they approved me. So grateful for the advocacy dept.

Kind of sad tonight & in need of some positive reinforcement. I finally found the right time (over beer & pizza) to tell my best friend - so close that we can finish each others sentences - that I'm having the surgery.

About 12 or so years ago, before I knew her, she was overweight (not obese). She lost the weight via weight watchers & working out. She has maintained her size 6/8 figure by being vigilant about going to the gym & watching her Proteins & veggies. Her response to my news: "You're messing with mother nature. You just need to change your eating habits to how you'll be eating after the surgery & work out - and stick to it."

Heavy sigh.

I knew she wasn't going to be happy about my having surgery, but I thought she'd at least understand my struggle. "I've TRIED all of those ways," I tell her, but she just shakes her head. "What are the side effects of the surgery?" she asks. "Less risk than my remaining morbidly obese," is my reply. Again she says that it just seems too drastic. She says I'm not going to be able to drink beer anymore. In my head I think "that might not be a bad thing, considering beer has contributed to this weight!" but I assure her that I will be able to drink socially but I just won't be able to drink beer & eat at the same time - it's going to be an either/or. Then she says "well then you're going to be malnourished from not eating..." I just need to change how I eat & exercise more, she says again as she's smoking her 3rd or 4th cigarette of the evening.

Of course it didn't dawn on me until I got home to compare my struggle with losing weight to her struggle to quit smoking. But I'm kind of glad I didn't go there. I know she wants to quit & I even defend her to her long-time boyfriend who tries to guilt (bully?) her into quitting & harps on her all the time about it. But I can't help but think that I wish I had used her not being able to quit smoking to compare to my "not being able to stick to a diet."

Any words of wisdom out there from my fellow Octo-sleevers? I could really use a supportive word or two right about now....

Completely understand. I told a friend too and she said a lot of the same thing as your friend. They just don't realize how that makes someone feel. It made me feel like a failure because I couldn't do it after years of trying. I was able to quit smoking after 14 years cold turkey but I don't have that kind of will power when it comes to weight loss. Every year it gets harder and I can't afford to wait until it is too late. After my conversation with my friend, I decided not to tell anyone except for my husband and kids. They give me all the support I need. Even if they didn't support my choice, I know this is right for me. Stay strong. You deserve to be healthy, it shouldn't matter to your friend which route you take as long as you get there.

Hi everyone. My name is Tina. I am 41,married,and mother of a beautiful 12 year old Daughter. I have had all pre-op done including my endoscopy yesterday. One more visit with Dr. Gandhi at Rochester General Hospital in NY. I am looking at a date of October 24th. Seems so far away! Good luck to you all!

Hi everyone. My name is Tina. I am 41,married,and mother of a beautiful 12 year old Daughter. I have had all pre-op done including my endoscopy yesterday. One more visit with Dr. Gandhi at Rochester General Hospital in NY. I am looking at a date of October 24th. Seems so far away! Good luck to you all!

Mines on the 29th of October but I swear time is passing by so fast!!! It will be here before you know it.

Hi, my sleeve date is Oct 25. I am a mother of two (21 & 12) boys. I will be 42 this Thursday Aug 30...

Happy Birthday!!!

Hey, Just got insurance approval and I am scheduled for October 8th. First case, so I have to be there at 0500.

Very glad for this mid life second chance. Look forward to meeting ppl here.

What strategies are you using to loose weight or just be healthier before Oct?

Live in North Florida.

Sent from my UBER SMART PHONE using VST

Hey, Just got insurance approval and I am scheduled for October 8th. First case, so I have to be there at 0500.

Very glad for this mid life second chance. Look forward to meeting ppl here.

What strategies are you using to loose weight or just be healthier before Oct?

Live in North Florida.

Congrats!!! I cut out fast food resturants that was my major weak link.. U?

I'm looking at the 24th or 25th. Right around the corner! =D

I'm going for all my pre op stuff in the next two weeks. My Dr's office is hoping that we have everything for surgery to be on October 15th or 16th. I'm hoping for the 15th...lol. I'm 5'4, 257 lbs, with a BMI of 44.

Eta: My name is Heather. I am 26 years old. I've been married to my best friend for over 7 years. We have two wonderful children, a daughter, who is 7 and a son, who is 6. We also have custody of my younger sister, who is 16. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats...needless to say, some days, it feels like we are running a circus, lol.

Congrats!!! I cut out fast food resturants that was my major weak link.. U?

Yes, that was first to go! I had gotten into treats at work, too. Had to go.

How long is everyone diet plan before surgery? I was told that I will be on shakes for 2 weeks prior. When Is your next dr appt before surgery?

I am scheduled for Oct 1st with Dr. Hoffman at Buff General Hospital.So ready to start my next chapter as a healthier,slimmer me. :)

My doctor has me on a one week pre op liquid diet to shrink my liver. I can have 3 shakes a day, sf Jello, chicken broth, etc..... I've thought about starting a week early just to make sure my liver shrinks

My doctor has me on a one week pre op liquid diet to shrink my liver. I can have 3 shakes a day, sf Jello, chicken broth, etc..... I've thought about starting a week early just to make sure my liver shrinks

Great idea!!!