Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Sleevers! Announce Yourselves

Great choice! I was originally going to Dr Neil Floch' date=' but had nothing but issues with my BCBS insurance thru my work. The earliest appointment he could get me in for the New London office was 10/16......so I got to call the other day, and tell them "Thank you, but I will be 8 days post-op by then!"

They are both awesome surgeons, and I'm sure you will be very successful :-) Keep me posted!![/quote']

Oh no! What happened with bcbs? I have federal bcbs, waiting to submit

bmi.png

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading these forums or several weeks, so much helpful information!

My sleeve procedure is scheduled for October 18th, with Dr. Amit Trivedi.

I'm just plain SCARED.

Any advice on how to find some much needed courage? Most of my fears are regarding the procedure and anesthesia itself. I'm also worried about having regrets about having an "irreversible" procedure. I already regret the permanent tattoo I got on my 17th birthday (lol). Anyone who anyone who regretted being sleeved?

Thanks in advance

:)

Very happy for you! I am still waiting for my last nut visit next week to send all papers to insurance company. Takes about a week for turn around, then another 3 weeks for surgery (pre op visit and 2 weeks preop diet). I only have to pay 150 for the surgeon, 150 a day for the hospital. All in all out of pocket fokr surgery is 300 to 450 bucks.

bmi.png

That is awesome!! Lucky you :)

That is awesome!! Lucky you :)

Lucky to have a federal job that offers pretty good insurance. Still I have paid100+ dollars a month for 8 years' date=' it's time for cashing in.lol

bmi.png

Oh no! What happened with bcbs? I have federal bcbs, waiting to submit

I have a unique bcbs plan thru my company where they particulary exclude bariatric surgery.......but my company approves 50 surgeries per year. I qualified for the surgery under the company plan, which took about 4 months to sort out, because they couldn't get it to show in the bcbs system that I was approved. A lot of going back and forth between the patient advocate and the insurance company....and of course the story always changes when you get someone different on the phone!

Finally once it was all sorted out, they told me I had to have a year of formal "coaching" to lose weight prior to surgery. I've been wanting this for years, so I just said screw it...I'm not putting it off another year, and started my research on self-pay.

I have a unique bcbs plan thru my company where they particulary exclude bariatric surgery.......but my company approves 50 surgeries per year. I qualified for the surgery under the company plan' date=' which took about 4 months to sort out, because they couldn't get it to show in the bcbs system that I was approved. A lot of going back and forth between the patient advocate and the insurance company....and of course the story always changes when you get someone different on the phone!

Finally once it was all sorted out, they told me I had to have a year of formal "coaching" to lose weight prior to surgery. I've been wanting this for years, so I just said screw it...I'm not putting it off another year, and started my research on self-pay.[/quote']

Wow! Well good luck in Mexico!

bmi.png

Hi Everyone' date='

I have been reading these forums or several weeks, so much helpful information!

My sleeve procedure is scheduled for October 18th, with Dr. Amit Trivedi.

I'm just plain SCARED.

Any advice on how to find some much needed courage? Most of my fears are regarding the procedure and anesthesia itself. I'm also worried about having regrets about having an "irreversible" procedure. I already regret the permanent tattoo I got on my 17th birthday (lol). Anyone who anyone who regretted being sleeved?

Thanks in advance

:)

[/quote']

Ugh I feel you! I am 29 and SCARED I'm scheduled for 10/15 and my fears are the same as yours I guess everyone has to be a little scared! This is my first surgery so that adds to the anxiety! I am in NJ. Good luck and keep me posted:)

Natava - you couldn't have quoted my thoughts & feelings any better than if I had spoken them aloud myself. I just met with my pych for the first time yesterday & she really helped calm my fears & gave me things to think about when I'm getting nervous. She had the surgery a couple of years ago so she really speaks from experience.

Kolerz219 - we're almost sleeve twins - you're just 2 weeks ahead of me! I'm 42' date=' starting pre-op diet on Sept 30, sleeve date is Oct 15, starting @ 249.[/quote']

I feel the same. I know I need to do this, but my stomach is in knots with fear of the surgery and complications.

Just remind yourselves: whether or not you have the surgery you are at risk of complications. If you don't have surgery then you're risking heart disease, diabetes, or worse: an early death.

I'm kind of odd when it comes to fears with this surgery. I'm not afraid of the surgery itself, I'm afraid of the life after. I have had 5 surgeries, 4 of them were on my knees (ex highschool & college football player). I'm afraid of the life after, I mean let's be real..... Im a 26 year old guy that loves to go out and have fun = bubye alcohol.... I have always been very athletic but never small enough to do a few things I have always dreamed of = still won't be able to do an Ironman because nutrition and hydration. I love to golf, the idea of being on a TX golf course in the middle of summer without a beer is insane lol! And the biggest one of all, social pressures. I have not told anyone I'm doing this because when I mentioned the idea a few months ago I got really bad feedback from my friends, at which point they stepped up and really supported my weight loss (better known as 3 mo. Pre-op lol) I have changed my eating habits and limited my drinks to 2-3 vs 12-13 and I have lost 30 lbs in the 3 months. But now they miss the old me and the pressure is on hard core to drink again (I do miss the crazy bar nights). With that being said I am HORRIFIED I will lose my friends :( I am now looking on the brightside of things, maybe of I lose my old friends I will meet some awesome new healthy ones and hopefully a nice girl to motivate me to keep dragging my butt to the gym! I guess sometimes you just need to be willing to sacrifice, even if that means friends, for the greater good of life!

I get the sense, sometimes, the scary stories of complications seem inconsistent. Maybe it's because I am looking at it in a medical perspective, but some stories floating around just don't make sense. ( No SPECIFiC STORY, SO PLEASE DON'T FLAM ME) In any event, I am worried about the surgery, and it's complications. i am one of those patients you need to dose pre-op to keep me from running away. I have had a few surgeries, abdominal, orthopedic and plastics. Never had a complication and am praying for the same this time

bmi.png

NDN, I tend to agree with you. After going to the support groups and talking to others that my surgeon has operated on, I'm comfortable with the inherent risks.

The doping pre-op made me remember a funny time during one of my surgeries they couldn't get the IV into my vein and every time they started flow my arm burned because they were not in the vein. After several attempts at stabbing me (horrified of needles) They got another nurse. When that one missed twice i hoped out of the bed grabbed my clothes and started walking out of the hospital in my gown. My surgeon chased me down in the parking lot and told me he would get the best in the hospital to do it. Sure enough, first try by him and it was in right!

Hi! I'm Alicia. I just completed all the insurance requirements and am aiming for a mid October sleeve date. Nervous but very excited! I am 40, divorced and have 2 little girls, 10 & 11.

SONIA - where in Kansas are you from? I live in Prairie Village, KS (suburb of Kansas City) and am being sleeved by Dr. Fearing & Dr. Malley at Malley Surgical.

Thanks for the posts, my I ask what doctor you used in Mexico, anyone know anything about Mi hospital? ??

Hey peeps,Im zenoosh, 34 y/o Echo-tech from CALIFORNIA. Widowed, 3 cats, ready to rock and roll on this mofo! My date is set for Oct 27 with Dr Garcia in Tijuana at Mi hospital. If you check the boards and search for Mi Hospital, you'll find a plethora of great info. One of the selling points for me was the fact that its a full service hospital, not a clinic...its small, but only 2 two years old and from what I've heard, immaculately clean.Im doing a low-carb liver shrink to prepare and lose a bit before surgery. A week or two prior, I'll start Protein shakesand other liquids to shrink my tummy and liver for ease at surgery. Good luck everyone! Im planning on totally rocking my sleeve....positive vibes :-)