Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Sleevers! Announce Yourselves

I have a unique bcbs plan thru my company where they particulary exclude bariatric surgery.......but my company approves 50 surgeries per year. I qualified for the surgery under the company plan, which took about 4 months to sort out, because they couldn't get it to show in the bcbs system that I was approved. A lot of going back and forth between the patient advocate and the insurance company....and of course the story always changes when you get someone different on the phone!

Finally once it was all sorted out, they told me I had to have a year of formal "coaching" to lose weight prior to surgery. I've been wanting this for years, so I just said screw it...I'm not putting it off another year, and started my research on self-pay.

Good for you...same here. I've already wasted too much time. Im not waiting any longer. $5k is nothing when you really think about it. We'd probably and up paying that much with doc visits etc, so im stoked for you, and me!! Keep us posted and check the boards for great info re: Mexico surgeons and hospitals. Im sxd Oct 27 with Garcia at mi hospital...great deal, great reviews. Im READY ;-)

I get the sense' date=' sometimes, the scary stories of complications seem inconsistent. Maybe it's because I am looking at it in a medical perspective, but some stories floating around just don't make sense. ( No SPECIFiC STORY, SO PLEASE DON'T FLAM ME) In any event, I am worried about the surgery, and it's complications. i am one of those patients you need to dose pre-op to keep me from running away. I have had a few surgeries, abdominal, orthopedic and plastics. Never had a complication and am praying for the same this time

I completely agree with you I look at things the same way I think as nurses it is hard not to. I can think of one story in particular that just doesn't sound right to me for a multitude of reasons. I have had 3 c-sections,a Lap Choley,and a Partial thyroidectomy I get extremely nervous every time..I tend to worry about complications after surgery more than surgery itself things like DVT and PE especially but also things specific to the type of surgery...As for Day of Surgery I say BRING ON THE VERSED!!! Lol

I'm kind of odd when it comes to fears with this surgery. I'm not afraid of the surgery itself' date=' I'm afraid of the life after. I have had 5 surgeries, 4 of them were on my knees (ex highschool & college football player). I'm afraid of the life after, I mean let's be real..... Im a 26 year old guy that loves to go out and have fun = bubye alcohol.... I have always been very athletic but never small enough to do a few things I have always dreamed of = still won't be able to do an Ironman because nutrition and hydration. I love to golf, the idea of being on a TX golf course in the middle of summer without a beer is insane lol! And the biggest one of all, social pressures. I have not told anyone I'm doing this because when I mentioned the idea a few months ago I got really bad feedback from my friends, at which point they stepped up and really supported my weight loss (better known as 3 mo. Pre-op lol) I have changed my eating habits and limited my drinks to 2-3 vs 12-13 and I have lost 30 lbs in the 3 months. But now they miss the old me and the pressure is on hard core to drink again (I do miss the crazy bar nights). With that being said I am HORRIFIED I will lose my friends :( I am now looking on the brightside of things, maybe of I lose my old friends I will meet some awesome new healthy ones and hopefully a nice girl to motivate me to keep dragging my butt to the gym! I guess sometimes you just need to be willing to sacrifice, even if that means friends, for the greater good of life![/quote']

I totally understand where you are coming from Donny. I had a very similar experience when telling friends/coworkers who I told I was considering this surgery. Only my family knows my surgery is 10/18, everyone else thinks I'm going on a cruise! I also worry about "life after the sleeve", how I will be able to manage in social situations and such. I guess I'm saying goodbye to wine and appetizer nights! Ugh lol. Also dating is a concern, how am I supposed to go out to dinner with someone with all of these restrictions. I know it's worth it and I am confident in my choice, just venting! :)

I just got my surgery date and it's for OCTOBER 2ND!!!! I'm so excited and this has been a very quick journey :)

7/13- Got the referral from my PC

7/17-Was approved for WLS

7/25-Met with surgeon and got a checklist of appts that I need

8/1- 1st NUT appt

8/2- metabolic testing appt

8/3-metabolic testing results

8/8- 2nd NUT appt.

8/9-wls seminar

8/12-psych appt (1/3 appts)

8/15- 3rd NUT appt (I get to meet with other wls patients)

8/18-2nd psych appt.

8/27-4th and final NUT appt pre surgery, it will be a 1 on 1 meeting.

8/25-3rd and final psych appt.

8/30-Final Clearance appt! I will get my surgery date and then the countdown begins smile.gif

10/2-MY SURGERY DATE!!!!!! I'm so excited smile.gif

Hey all!!!!! OCTOBER 23rd is the date!! Im 39 with a husband, 3 girls, and a busy job as a nurse. So excited about our journey, and cant wait to officially sit on that "Losers Bench".. Dr. Jawad is my surgeon, and I live in Orlando FL....

I completely agree with you I look at things the same way I think as nurses it is hard not to. I can think of one story in particular that just doesn't sound right to me for a multitude of reasons. I have had 3 c-sections,a Lap Choley,and a Partial thyroidectomy I get extremely nervous every time..I tend to worry about complications after surgery more than surgery itself things like DVT and PE especially but also things specific to the type of surgery...As for Day of Surgery I say BRING ON THE VERSED!!! Lol

This post made me feel so much better! I have never had any type of surgery before so I guess that is just adding to my anxiety! But hearing that a nurse is going through it, as fearless as you sound...WHEW! lol :)

Ugh I feel you! I am 29 and SCARED I'm scheduled for 10/15 and my fears are the same as yours I guess everyone has to be a little scared! This is my first surgery so that adds to the anxiety! I am in NJ. Good luck and keep me posted:)

I am 31 and in NJ also! I am having my procedure done at Hackensack University Hospital. Have you gone to your psyc eval yet? I have mine tonight - yikes!

Hello everyone, my name is Jennifer. I've been interested in having WLS for several years. I am tentatively scheduled to have my VSG surgery in October on the 24th or 25th. It'll either be in October or in January. The regular surgeon at my hospital is out of the area until January so the hospital is bringing in outside surgeons to take care of the backlog of us WLS patients. So far I've had several appointments and I have my psych evaluation next week on Tuesday. There's another Nut appointment that I have on the 13th. Once those two appointments are done I'll have all of my pre-op requirements done. Then I'll just have a few appointments to meet with the nurses and surgeons in October. I'm hoping that I will have a firm yes or no for an October surgery by the end of September. Either way, I'm excited to get this done. I look forward to seeing all of us get healthy! =)

I just got my surgery date and it's for OCTOBER 2ND!!!! I'm so excited and this has been a very quick journey :)

7/13- Got the referral from my PC

7/17-Was approved for WLS

7/25-Met with surgeon and got a checklist of appts that I need

8/1- 1st NUT appt

8/2- metabolic testing appt

8/3-metabolic testing results

8/8- 2nd NUT appt.

8/9-wls seminar

8/12-psych appt (1/3 appts)

8/15- 3rd NUT appt (I get to meet with other wls patients)

8/18-2nd psych appt.

8/27-4th and final NUT appt pre surgery' date=' it will be a 1 on 1 meeting.

8/25-3rd and final psych appt.

8/30-Final Clearance appt! I will get my surgery date and then the countdown begins

10/2-MY SURGERY DATE!!!!!! I'm so excited [/quote']

Me TOOOOO!!!! Yay!!!!!

Hi all! My name is Julie. I'm 39, married for 14 years with 3 kids - 8, 6 &3. I weigh 204 and I'm 5'2". I live in Massachusetts. I'm scheduled for surgery on October 1st! Good luck to everyone!

I'm kind of odd when it comes to fears with this surgery. I'm not afraid of the surgery itself, I'm afraid of the life after. I have had 5 surgeries, 4 of them were on my knees (ex highschool & college football player). I'm afraid of the life after, I mean let's be real..... Im a 26 year old guy that loves to go out and have fun = bubye alcohol.... I have always been very athletic but never small enough to do a few things I have always dreamed of = still won't be able to do an Ironman because nutrition and hydration. I love to golf, the idea of being on a TX golf course in the middle of summer without a beer is insane lol! And the biggest one of all, social pressures. I have not told anyone I'm doing this because when I mentioned the idea a few months ago I got really bad feedback from my friends, at which point they stepped up and really supported my weight loss (better known as 3 mo. Pre-op lol) I have changed my eating habits and limited my drinks to 2-3 vs 12-13 and I have lost 30 lbs in the 3 months. But now they miss the old me and the pressure is on hard core to drink again (I do miss the crazy bar nights). With that being said I am HORRIFIED I will lose my friends :( I am now looking on the brightside of things, maybe of I lose my old friends I will meet some awesome new healthy ones and hopefully a nice girl to motivate me to keep dragging my butt to the gym! I guess sometimes you just need to be willing to sacrifice, even if that means friends, for the greater good of life!

I guess it depends on the surgeon but my surgeon said there are no "nevers" as in "you can never have X again". My understanding is if you want a drink (even a beer) a year out, you can in moderation. Some people will not be able to tolerate the carbonation and you need to be very aware of the liquid calories, but it can be done. Just plan on a designated driver because the alcohol will affect you much differently than before.

Clearly, if your friends are going to ditch you because you can't drink with them, it's less about figuring out how to drink and more about finding new friends... I suspect though that your friends are just as scared as you are. They love you just the way you are and are afraid your physical change will change who you are on the inside as well. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised when you're still the same guy except you don't need alcohol to get a buzz because you'll be high on life!

Congrats fellow "Octo-sleever"!

Congrats fellow "Octo-sleever"!

Octo-sleever...I love it!!!!!!

bmi.png

Kind of sad tonight & in need of some positive reinforcement. I finally found the right time (over beer & pizza) to tell my best friend - so close that we can finish each others sentences - that I'm having the surgery.

About 12 or so years ago, before I knew her, she was overweight (not obese). She lost the weight via weight watchers & working out. She has maintained her size 6/8 figure by being vigilant about going to the gym & watching her Proteins & veggies. Her response to my news: "You're messing with mother nature. You just need to change your eating habits to how you'll be eating after the surgery & work out - and stick to it."

Heavy sigh.

I knew she wasn't going to be happy about my having surgery, but I thought she'd at least understand my struggle. "I've TRIED all of those ways," I tell her, but she just shakes her head. "What are the side effects of the surgery?" she asks. "Less risk than my remaining morbidly obese," is my reply. Again she says that it just seems too drastic. She says I'm not going to be able to drink beer anymore. In my head I think "that might not be a bad thing, considering beer has contributed to this weight!" but I assure her that I will be able to drink socially but I just won't be able to drink beer & eat at the same time - it's going to be an either/or. Then she says "well then you're going to be malnourished from not eating..." I just need to change how I eat & exercise more, she says again as she's smoking her 3rd or 4th cigarette of the evening.

Of course it didn't dawn on me until I got home to compare my struggle with losing weight to her struggle to quit smoking. But I'm kind of glad I didn't go there. I know she wants to quit & I even defend her to her long-time boyfriend who tries to guilt (bully?) her into quitting & harps on her all the time about it. But I can't help but think that I wish I had used her not being able to quit smoking to compare to my "not being able to stick to a diet."

Any words of wisdom out there from my fellow Octo-sleevers? I could really use a supportive word or two right about now....

October 22 @ Vanderbilt. I didn't realize i was going to have such a long wait from getting approved (end of July) to surgery. I am in a depression that I cannot snap out of. I guess I am just so tired of all of it; the way my husband treats me, the way my skinny friends look at me, this whole CPAP business. I don't anyone in my life that I can talk to.

You can talk to us. We will be your support. That is what is so nice about this forum. You can feel accepted without being judged. I don't plan on telling anyone about my surgery except for my husband and kids. I did tell one other friend and right away she was trying to tell me how to lose weight without surgery. She has always been thin so she just doesn't understand what it feels like to carry around excess weight. It is not her fault, but she just isn't the person I can talk to about this experience. Keep your chin up. October 22nd will be here before you know it.