Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery In 3 Days, Now A Hurricane May Be Coming.. Not Sure What To Do

I fly out of South Florida on Friday to Cancun and now there is a Tropical Storm that is supposed to turn into a Hurricane. The cone has South Florida in it's projected path to hit on Sunday/Monday.

My surgery is on Saturday and I am supposed to leave Cancun to come back to South FLorida on Tuesday.

I really don't know what to do :( this is awful!!!!!

The surgeon leaves until the end of September so if it doesn't happen this week, I will have to wait another month and that is just depressing but then again, I can't leave if a hurricane comes here as I may get stuck in Cancun.

Can I scream now? lol

Hi Faith4me, nothing like a little added stress before your surgery! I would go ahead as planned. The worst case scenario is that you may be delayed in Cancun for a short time. If you live in South Florida, then you know that while you have to take hurricanes seriously and plan for them, they are still unpredictable. How many times have you put your shutters up and it turns out to be nothing? Make sure all is prepared for your family and home before you go. If it hits on Sunday or Monday, all should be clear to fly home on Tuesday. At worst, you may have some delays while the airlines catch up on flights that were grounded as the hurricane passed. It is looking, at worst, to be a category one hurricane which Florida and the airports in Florida are well equipt to deal with. Where are you flying out of?

Umm let me think .... Stuck in Cancun ... Ok!

Hi Tracey, I will be flying out of Fort Lauderdale...I am so nervous over this. Not sure what the 'right' decision is. I have a friend watching my pets but she definitely cannot put up my shutters, bring everything in, etc.. as she just had surgery a month ago. That is my biggest concern and also, my return flight to Fort Lauderdale is on Tuesday, I wonder if I will be able to fly back that day? I know right now nothing is certain as the storm has a mind of its own.

I also worry about returning and not having power and feeling miserable already from the surgery.

Ugh, as if I wasn't nervous/stressed enough.

I honestly don't know what to do and have to let alma know tomorrow by 11am if I am coming or not.

Cancun would be a great place to get 'stuck' wouldn't it ? but I would be too worried about my house and my pets to enjoy anything.

I would bring in my plants, patio stuff etc before you go and get a neighbor or friend (who has not just had surgery) to help you put up your shutters. This will be a category 1 hurricane which all of FT Lauderdale is built to withstand without incident as long as your shutters are up. If it hits on Sunday or Monday, you will definitely be able to return on Tuesday. No electricity would not be fun to return to, but you would be miserable even without having just had surgery. How is your neighborhood for returning to power? We are lucky because the neighborhood we live in is next to a nursing home and a shelter, so we are always first to get power. During Wilma, we did not even lose power for more than a couple hours. It was a cat 1 and the damage just wasn't that bad. I know I would be freaked out too, if I were in this situation. But your choices are to take an educated risk that all will be fine, or close enough to fine or wait another two months. I would wait until the hurricane update tomorrow morning to make a final decision and call by 11 am (maybe you will get lucky and it will veer off to to the south a bit more) In the meantime, do a little planning and favor asking to see if you can get some help getting the house ready later on Thursday should you make the call to go. I will pray for you!!

Thank you :)

I am filled with so many emotions right now due to the storm and the surgery. Not the surgery itself but my life after the surgery. I feel as if I am going to be starving (because I'm starving now LOL) and will I ever be able to enjoy food again. I know this may sound stupid as I tell myself, it's even more reason why I need to have the surgery because I am tired of eating for comfort/support/etc... and want to just eat because i have too...to live.

So yes, the storm is a huge concern and is the primary one now and agree w/you that I will wait until tomorrow AM to see what the new predictions are and decide from there.

I really do not want to wait until the end of September because that is another month that I could be losing weight and gaining my life again.

I appreciate your words and suggestions.

Thank you :)

I am filled with so many emotions right now due to the storm and the surgery. Not the surgery itself but my life after the surgery. I feel as if I am going to be starving (because I'm starving now LOL) and will I ever be able to enjoy food again. I know this may sound stupid as I tell myself, it's even more reason why I need to have the surgery because I am tired of eating for comfort/support/etc... and want to just eat because i have too...to live.

So yes, the storm is a huge concern and is the primary one now and agree w/you that I will wait until tomorrow AM to see what the new predictions are and decide from there.

I really do not want to wait until the end of September because that is another month that I could be losing weight and gaining my life again.

I appreciate your words and suggestions.

Let me put one worry to rest...you will not be starving after surgery!! I thought the pre-op diet was like a sick joke because you are basically on the post op plan but without the benefit of the operation. But I stuck with it and really missed food and was hungry quite a bit. I will not lie, the first two weeks of post op for me was not a picnic either. You won't be hungry, but your head might be. Some people breeze through it, others struggle a bit. There is a thread on this site about dreaming of food and how every commercial makes your mouth Water after the first week of post op. However, once you start getting to eat real food (even if it has been pureed down to mushies) that goes away. There is a whole other thread on here about people eating now only because they have to. At ten weeks, I feel like it starting to hit a happy medium. There are some foods that I really enjoy (like the cream of shrimp Soup I made for dinner tonight), but can only have a small quantity. I no longer live to eat, but eat to live and enjoy my healthy choices. You will be there too! Hopefully Isaac will cooperate so that you will be on your journey sooner rather than later. I am praying for you. I don't want to put up my hurricane shutters either!! :)

So I decided to postpone it until the end of September. I am disappointed but it seemed like the right thing to do. The last thing I need to do is worry more about my house while I am far away from home. So many mixed emotions but mostly disappointment although my eye is on the prize and that is the surgery so whether it is this week or 4 weeks from now, it will happen.

I plan to eat low carb until then, if I can get off a few lbs before, that is even better!!

Thanks for your encouragement, I appreciate it :)

I was thinking about you today and wondering what you decided to do. Thanks for the update. You are right, spending time worrying would not be beneficial when you are trying to recover from surgery. Four weeks will fly by and be here before you know it. (hopefully weather event free!)

Thanks Tracey, I am glad we are not getting a direct hit and would be lying if I wasn't a little disappointed that I didn't go but I still think I made the right decision. As you said, worrying about home while trying to recover from surgery is not a good thing. I appreciate your encouragement.

Not sure if you would be up for it, but I would love to talk on the phone before I do have surgery as I have some questions/concerns and hopefully you can give me some insight or what to expect.

Thanks again

I would be happy to talk. I will send you a personal message with my phone number.