Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op: How long until you progressed to solid food?

How long was your progression to solid food post-op?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long was your progression to solid food post-op?

• 1 week of liquids and/or mushies
    • 2 weeks of liquids and/or mushies
    • 3 weeks of liquids and/or mushies
    • 4 weeks of liquids and/or mushies
    • More than 4 weeks

I voted wrong. I was 2 weeks liquids/2 weeks mushies then slowly moved to solid foods.

1 day Clear Liquids

10 days full liquids

1 week pureed

1 week soft

then reg food

1 day clear liquids

10 days full liquids

1 week pureed

1 week soft

then reg food

I know this sounds dumb but what is full liquids and clear liquids?:thumbup:

I know this sounds dumb but what is full liquids and Clear Liquids? :thumbup:

Clear liquids are broth, tea, Water, crystal lite

Full liquids include the clear and add Protein shakes, strained Soups, sugar free pudding and Jello, non chunk yogurts.

TJ

I know all docs are different but mine is really differnt and making myself be nervous. had surgery on 6/16. 2 wks of very low/no carbs! 2 days prior to surgery all clear liquids. after surgery liquids to include Protein Shakes. 7 days post op...i can introduce chunky food. really!!!! im so confused!:ohmy:

None of the above. My doctor has his patients begin on pureed Protein three days after surgery.

3 days pre-op full liquids.

3 days post-op clear liquids.

5 weeks full liquids - includes oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, yogurt, Soups - no chunks, pudding, Jello & least 60g Protein.< /p>

1 week of diced, finely chopped foods.

I feel silly, but what exactly would be a "soft solid"? Same a mushy?

Wow, reading all the other posts and they are so different from my Doc's orders!

Post surgery- 4 days clear liquids, 3 days full liquids then my 1 week check up.

@ 1 week post op I'm already on most mushies and @ 2 weeks post op he wants me on soft foods/meats/proteins, by weeks 3/4 I should be on all solids.

I'm trying not to rush it, I still drink a lot of Soups because I'm so terribly afraid of a slippage, but he's the doc and the pro, if he told me to go ahead... might as well :)

The original diet I was given was

1 week clear liquids

1 week full liquids

2-3 weeks pureed

1-2 weeks mushies

However, when I went in for my post-op at one week, he told me I could start on pureed and mushies as I was comfortable. Stuff like cottage cheese and eggs I didn't have to blend.

I'm 2 weeks out today and have been mostly doing regular mushies (with the aforementioned cottage cheese and eggs), but I've also had fish a couple of times that I've just made sure to eat very slowly and chew very well.

I haven't had anything feel painful or uncomfortable at all. I seem to feel full at about 1-1.5 cups of whatever I'm consuming.

My friend who was banded the same day by the same doctor was not given the go ahead to start food - she was told to stick with the full liquids stage. So I'm not sure what his criteria are for moving forward, but it seems that I'm in one category and she's in another. ??

I was banded on June 17. I had a 5 day clear liquid diet, then minimal liquids the day after surgery. I am having a hard time comprehending why my surgeon insists on me being on a liquid diet for 6 wks after surgery then transition strait to solids. I also confirmed this is the guidelines with the nutritionist. Their regimin does not follow the "mush" stage. I dont get it. I honestly can not imagine 4 more wks of this. I am not starving, i drink my Protein Shakes 3xs a day and drink plenty of h2o, yogurt and eat lots of fudgsicles. I hate the cream Soups and the aspertame in the suarfree drinks gives me headaches. My issue is it's the summer and i just want to crawl underneith a rock untill the 4 wks are over. I weigh myslef and sometimes i am the same weight sometimes i am 1lb less. I dont get it. It's so discouraging that i stopped weighing myself. There are too many festivities going on that i have been declining. Anyone else in this situation?

6/12 Starting weight 312

6/17 Surgery weight 293:rolleyes2:

I was banded on June 17. I had a 5 day clear liquid diet, then minimal liquids the day after surgery. I am having a hard time comprehending why my surgeon insists on me being on a liquid diet for 6 wks after surgery then transition strait to solids. I also confirmed this is the guidelines with the nutritionist. Their regimin does not follow the "mush" stage. I dont get it. I honestly can not imagine 4 more wks of this. I am not starving, i drink my Protein shakes 3xs a day and drink plenty of h2o, yogurt and eat lots of fudgsicles. I hate the cream Soups and the aspertame in the suarfree drinks gives me headaches. My issue is it's the summer and i just want to crawl underneith a rock untill the 4 wks are over. I weigh myslef and sometimes i am the same weight sometimes i am 1lb less. I dont get it. It's so discouraging that i stopped weighing myself. There are too many festivities going on that i have been declining. Anyone else in this situation?

6/12 Starting weight 312

6/17 Surgery weight 293:rolleyes2:

Hang in there, I am in the same boat. I am on a similiar meal plan. I am half way thru my full liquid stage - Only 2.5 weeks left then on to solids - I can't wait.

My doctor told me that he takes a more conservative route with the diet - a few of the reasons he gave me were that he wants the body to heal, doesn't want to take a chance of having a stitch that holds the band in place to pop - then you will have slippage, and there still may be some swelling that can get worse with eating too soon and not chewing well. He also stated that this 5 weeks is to learn new eating behaviors - learning to recognize fullness feeling, eating/drinking slow etc. I am trying to stick with it...I don't want to take any chances of screwing anything up. I have 2 vacations scheduled back to back and I want to be eating solid food during them.

I have noticed my weight will stay the same for 2-3 days then drop. I was banded on June 10th and have lost 16lbs so far. I weigh myself everyday...I know I shouldn't but it almost like an obsession.

Just hang in there.

I feel the same as you. All we have to do is grab our big guts and then we remain focused. Thanks for your encouraging thoughts. I had mine done on Monday. Doing good so far.

My surgeon's directive was six weeks of full liquids. No mushy phase at all. It was tough and oh-so-boring. I moved to solids four days early on day #38.

My surgeon's directive was six weeks of full liquids. No mushy phase at all. It was tough and oh-so-boring. I moved to solids four days early on day #38.

Totally agree with you. I have 13 more days of this. I have stuck to this full liquid diet for the most part - I do have to admit I have "cheated" a few times with a bite here and there of things. I am so looking forward to expanding my food choices. Lately I have been craving veggies - very weird for me to actually want to eat veggies :thumbup: