Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op: How long until you progressed to solid food?

How long was your progression to solid food post-op?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long was your progression to solid food post-op?

• 1 week of liquids and/or mushies
    • 2 weeks of liquids and/or mushies
    • 3 weeks of liquids and/or mushies
    • 4 weeks of liquids and/or mushies
    • More than 4 weeks

My dr's plan was 1 week of clears, 1 week of full liquids, 1 week mushies/pureed, then regular food, or advance as I felt I needed too after the first week. I was eating regular food by end of week 2 without problems. I just chewed chewed chewed and was careful in types of food i ate.

Hi everyone - My doctor suggests 2 weeks liquid/straw consistancy, and then 2 weeks mushy............ but as I tried different food, and had no problems, I found myself eating smaller portions of most foods by end of week 2........... has anyone else experienced this, with no problems? I guess I am worried now, that I should not have progressed so quickly..... please give me your opinions.......... hugs to all, K

Hi Karen,

I'm in Australia too (Victoria!). I too started mushies early because I was so hungry and weak. After about a week I progressed to more solid food with no worries. I had my first fill yesterday and was advised I may need to revert to fluids for a day or 2, but I have been fine. Just making sure I chew thoroughly, eat slowly, and small portions.

I was worried that I was progressing too quickly too, but Dr said everyone is different - it's trial and error for the next few months. By the way, I lost 3 1/2 kg, so I must have done ok!

Best wishes,

Jenny

2 weeks liquids (including 3 shakes a day)

2 weeks soft foods (but was able to progress to regular food at any time during that)

Moving to regular was at our discretion. No rice, Pasta, flour, potatoes, etc for 3 - 6 months. My dr wants us to burn our fat stores.

I did the two weeks of Fluids (protien shakes) and I just started the second stage of pureed/soft foods. I'm still doing a lot of the shakes becuase I'm so affraid of stretching out my pouch so soon or not letting myself heal well enough. Even 3 weeks post op I'm still pretty sore and can feel the band in there. I know myself too well... hello complusive eater that's how I got fat in the first place, testing limits, nibbling here and there... no good. I'm being really strict with myself and taking it really slow. I have to try and be different this time. I don't want to screw this up.

Dr.s seem to vary within a 6 week period, but most seem to have a liquid phase that moves to mushies and finially to solids. I hd no troubles with any of it, but I still am introducing foods back into my diet slowly. and it's beenalmost 2 months now.

I get banded on Jan 25th. This is my schedule...it sounds a little more aggressive that most other schedules..

3-7 days clear liquids

2-3 weeks pureed foods

solids after that

Depending on how you recover, the first week of clear liquids goes by quick. I spent the first week on clear because I couldn't get anything else down.

I am starting my second week of mushies, and had bay scallops tonite. Have one more week of mushies with regular food the first full week of February. But I am now starting to feel the hunger, alot.

That is so wierd that all of these are different. I was just two days clear liquids, five days full liquids, after 1 week soft food, and introduce solid foods two weeks after surgery. That is scary these are all so different!