Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More Protein, Less Carbs

post-56603-13813670171776_thumb.jpg

Ok, so im trying to get only like 20-30g of carbs for weight loss and about 70 g of Protein. But im on the post op full liquids diet. But im only on Breakfast and i have a miniscule amount of carbs left. I cant find anything to help but my protein but still keep my carbs low. Ugh. Annoyed. Anyone have any suggestions? I based by protein, fat, and protein intake based on kaisers bariatric nutrition plan.

post-29281-13813659553395_thumb.jpg

post-29281-13813659553797_thumb.jpg

eggs are high in protei, not a lot of carbs and goes down pretty easy after the sleeve. also try the lowcarb high Protein slimfast.. and to boost up the taste and protein add some low sugar peanut butter.. there are also things that are very low carb wraps called flat outs.. they are pretty good.. do a chicken salad...add some chopped almonds for extra protein. there is also Protein Powder, i still have not found one that i like but i know theres a ton more out there

If you're still recently post op, total liquids and healing is still the most important thing at this point. That said, Protein shakes can still be a valuable tool right now, and in the blended or mushies stage as well. I've heard that a good calorie/protein ratio is 1:10, so if you're getting 70g Protein +30g carbs, that's only 400 calories, plus whatever fats you have coming in. So unless you're consuming 44g of fats (WAY too high!) it sounds like you need to eat more anyway.

70g at this stage is not a bad number, but if you want to boost the protein in other foods, like strained cream Soups, you can add protein powder. I prefer to mix it a few hours in advance in my Bullet and allow the bubbles to settle out in the fridge, as it eases the burping.

Talk to your nutritionist about your methods and protein goals. They should have some guidelines for what you should be achieving at this stage.

Thanks guy!!

Nevermind

I'm now 8 weeks post surgery. I ordered powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder prior to surgery and still love it! I add the chocolate splendor flavor to my morning coffee EVERY morning (can you say Mocha?). I almost feel guilty enjoying something so much that is soooo good for me. I had been drinking a second shake (typically strawberry shake mixed in sugar free lemonade) but had kinda gotten away from it in recent weeks.

Funny thing was, I noticed my urinary output had decreased significantly and my ankles/feet were swelling again. No other dietary changes, just quit the second shake. Well, I added it back a couple of days ago and.......surprise!! I'm peeing like a Russian race horse and have ankles again.

The shakes account for 40 grams of Protein daily and by the time I finish my meals, I average 65-70 grams protein daily. All protein grams are most not the same in quality - that much is certain.

I'm now 8 weeks post surgery. I ordered unjury Protein powder prior to surgery and still love it! I add the chocolate splendor flavor to my morning coffee EVERY morning (can you say Mocha?). I almost feel guilty enjoying something so much that is soooo good for me. I had been drinking a second shake (typically strawberry shake mixed in sugar free lemonade) but had kinda gotten away from it in recent weeks.

Funny thing was' date=' I noticed my urinary output had decreased significantly and my ankles/feet were swelling again. No other dietary changes, just quit the second shake. Well, I added it back a couple of days ago and.......surprise!! I'm peeing like a Russian race horse and have ankles again.

The shakes account for 40 grams of Protein daily and by the time I finish my meals, I average 65-70 grams protein daily. All protein grams are most not the same in quality - that much is certain.[/quote']

Hmmm would you say that its chalky? I miss mochas:(

And wait, the second shake (lemonade) made u swell and retain? But later u added it again and it was ok?

Also how many shakes r u taking in daily in order to hit ur protein mark? Im still on full liquid diet and i am barely getting any protein bc i hateeee Protein Shakes with a passion. Slim fast is yummy but lots or carbs and sugar.

Thank u by the way for telling me about Unjury. Im gonna google it now.

Unjury chicken Soup is awesome the unflavored is not too unflavored :P

Isopure zero carb from GNC has 40 grams of Protein per bottle. I'm not horribly crazy about the chalky taste it leaves in my mouth but I made popsicles and Jello with it after surgery.

Is egg nog ok? Has anyone tried to drink this?

I didnt use cream or alcohol.

1 raw egg

1 pkt Truvia

1 cup Lucerne Original Light Soymilk

1/4 - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1- 2 sprinkles of cinnamon or nutmeg

300 ml total= Four 75 ml servings

its not as thick as Protein drinks but i dont know why it kinda hurts (my back) as it goes down. Maybe i should add Water or something. My dietitian is supposed to call me tomorrow morning for a phone appt. so ill chill it for now and ask tomorrow.

Next time ill have to try:

Unsweetened plain soymilk

Ice / Water

Use a blender.

Drops of vanilla extract

Btw guys, Atkins shakes are DIGUSTING.

I actually like the BariEssentials Vanilla made with skim milk. WAY better than any Muscle Milk I've tried so far. The Special K chocolate is pretty tasty, but it's numbers are not as good as the BariEssentials. The Bari also has Fiber. Their chocolate is OK, but to me the vanilla is better. I just started mushies today and will probably continue one of those a day as an easy way to get the Protein numbers.

Btw guys' date=' Atkins shakes are DIGUSTING.[/quote']

I guess I like Atkins (chocolate only) because I've drunk them for years while doing low carb, but I'm just starting my pre-op liquid phase today, and Atkins isn't allowed until post-op. I keep gagging on the chocolate Splendor by powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

Just wondering, what did you eat/drink that had so many carbs for the limited protien?