Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Use Fmla/disability

Hello new here but I have been reading alot. Anyways i am thinking of doing the surgery. Are you allowed to submit

for FMLA and/or disability for gastric surgery. I have been there for 7 years and I did use it in the past for something else about

3 years ago and I didn't tell people what it was for and I believe that someone from HR told a person what I went on

leave for, of course I don't have evidence.

Not sure if I should use my doctor dietician for the 6months supervised diet or my own doctor??? I have proof I did

dieting and exercising last year but not sure if insurance will consider that since I only did it for about 4months. I have Medical

insurance if anyone wants to know...Thanks for the help

I went on FMLA when i had my surgery and I received short term disability from my employer.I did not tell them what kind of surgery I had . They just new I had surgery.

I guess u don't really understand what FMLA is. Is it money? Is it a type of pay you receive? I thought it basically just guaranteed your job. Lime, you can't be fired for being off work too long if you filed FMLA. My understanding is that there is no compensation involved.

For example: I will be off for 2 weeks to recover from surgery. I request 2 weeks vacation pay AND filed FMLA so they can't fire we if I'm out longer than the 2 weeks.

I hope someone can explain, I was planning to post my own thread about this, glad it came up.

I guess u don't really understand what FMLA is. Is it money? Is it a type of pay you receive? I thought it basically just guaranteed your job. Lime' date=' you can't be fired for being off work too long if you filed FMLA. My understanding is that there is no compensation involved.

For example: I will be off for 2 weeks to recover from surgery. I request 2 weeks vacation pay AND filed FMLA so they can't fire we if I'm out longer than the 2 weeks.

I hope someone can explain, I was planning to post my own thread about this, glad it came up.[/quote']

I meant 'I guess I don't understand what it is', not you!!! Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude!

O

I meant 'I guess I don't understand what it is', not you!!! Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude!

hahaha its ok I don't understand either. I just don't want people at work to know that I am

having this surgery.

Short term disability is something that some companies offer, you have to ask to see if you are covered. You can apply for short term disability, I have a 7 day grace period that I will have to take vacation, then the rest of my time is covered and I received 67% of my wage per week. I am having my gallbladder out at the same time and I have close to 3 weeks off before I go to work so this is a big plus that I don't waste all my vacation. Your Dr. will have to fill out some forms and you will need to start a claim with STD. I completed all my paperwork 1 month before I was even having surgery to get all my ducks in a row and not have to worry about it when I got home.

FMLA is available to employees in employer groups of 50 or more, if the employee has worked 20 consecutive weeks prior to filing.

It does protect your job for 12 weeks but it does not cover your pay. To get covered paychecks, you either have to use your paid time off (PTO) or file for short-term disability.

You will be required to provide medical documentation from your physician & I can tell you it needs to be very specific for the expected length of your 'disability'.

All of this is "supposed" to be confidential but that is never ironclad.

You should talk to your human resource department. You don't have to tell them anything other than you have a chronic medical condition that will likely require surgery. Good luck!

FMLA is available to employees in employer groups of 50 or more, if the employee has worked 20 consecutive weeks prior to filing.

It does protect your job for 12 weeks but it does not cover your pay. To get covered paychecks, you either have to use your paid time off (PTO) or file for short-term disability.

You will be required to provide medical documentation from your physician & I can tell you it needs to be very specific for the expected length of your 'disability'.

You should talk to your human resource department. You don't have to tell them anything other than you have a chronic medical condition that will likely require surgery. Good luck!

Thanks so much I agree things should stay in HR but unfortunately when I had another surgery I was a supervisor and alot of things did't stay hush hush and it's sad.

Not sure you are correct with the 20 weeks of employment. Federal Law is one year and at least 1250 hours.

I went on FMLA when i had my surgery and I received short term disability from my employer.I did not tell them what kind of surgery I had . They just new I had surgery.

I did the same thing. No one has asked be about what kind of surgery except for the company that pays out short term disability.

YES use FMLA it will protect it job and some pays u while out. I get paid 100% of my pay for 6weeks and I'm taking the whole 6 weeks after 6weeks it pays @75% so I'll be going bk to work sept 4 and I don't have to use my PTO

YES use FMLA it will protect it job and some pays u while out. I get paid 100% of my pay for 6weeks and I'm taking the whole 6 weeks after 6weeks it pays @75% so I'll be going bk to work sept 4

BTW no personal,sick,or vacation is being used

Not sure you are correct with the 20 weeks of employment. Federal Law is one year and at least 1250 hours.

You are correct, it is one year but I believe the 20 weeks equals 1250. You can google FMLA & there is a government site that explains it well. That's what I had from memory!

At my employer, it is one year of employment or 1150 hours. We have a STD bank that accumulates every pay check.

20 weeks at 40 hours a week would only be 800 hours... so I'm not sure where 20 weeks would come into play unless maybe PRN employees maybe?

I'm only filing FMLA so that I can secure my job, and not have to use my PTO. Thank God I have it!!