Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20% Regain Weight After 2 Years

Hi Amy! I will be there tonight & look for you! I a look forward to it!

I will look for your too!

Amy, I'm sorry! I just saw your post. I haven't been on here as much as usual and the post that you made, the notification JUST showed up in my inbox. I didn't come say hi, but saw you again this past thursday (I came in late this week, sat in the corner that is catecorner to the entryway, where I saw you sitting). I will say hello this week for sure.

I have to admit, I had to stop at the way that I read how you described me. The girl who is close to goal and is a workout fanatic. My mind has not yet caught up with my weight loss that has occurred in the past 5 months .... and am I a fanatic about working out? I do it alot, but I'm pushing myself to be successful. So I guess.... omg, yes, that IS me.

I have 20 lbs more to lose until I reach my own goal and in honesty - I'm frightened, worried that I won't do it. I've lost 80 or so lbs. before and gained it all plus some back. My mind cannot fathom, why's this time different? At 6 months, I read many stall and then weight doesn't come off - will that be me? Then I hear that 20% regain and I AM a grazer, I track every bite in MFP but I am ashamed of the way my daily records look to be honest for the grazing. Sorry, I'm rambling now I believe.... but hopefully my thoughts are the same ones another has & let's encourage one another on how to get through these thoughts and effectively/eventually changing such behaviors. It's a WLS journey, not just an easy fix.

That's why Need A Sleeve, how you started this thread, it really inspired me. You're take on "that means 80% are successful".... I like how you perceived the message that Dr. Jay delivered, not focusing on the negative but reframing it to view the positive. I bet you money you WILL be successful if you remain to keep such a positive view.

20% regain weight. This is always a stat that worries me. I have regained all my weight lost by diet and exercise 100% of the time. I even gained all my weight back after my last diet attempt and having a tummy tuck! I am hoping this tool called the sleeve will help me from stuffing my mouth the way I do. I am also hoping weeks of Protein Shakes will cure me of my chocolate addiction. This weight has made me slow and tired. i am hoping the realtively fast weight loss will help motivate me to exercise again. Having been a runner for many years, I miss that high. i can't run now, i would destroy my knees (already destroyed my ankles)

I know a woman who had RNY she gained all her weight back, and then some. How do you do that, ebven with the malabsorption componenet to RNY?

I am seriously tired of my gigantic Butt, my thigh sized arms, of feeling "unpretty". 4 weeks to go before they submit for insurance approval. Praying it all goes through.

Amy' date=' I'm sorry! I just saw your post. I haven't been on here as much as usual and the post that you made, the notification JUST showed up in my inbox. I didn't come say hi, but saw you again this past thursday (I came in late this week, sat in the corner that is catecorner to the entryway, where I saw you sitting). I will say hello this week for sure.

I have to admit, I had to stop at the way that I read how you described me. The girl who is close to goal and is a workout fanatic. My mind has not yet caught up with my weight loss that has occurred in the past 5 months .... and am I a fanatic about working out? I do it alot, but I'm pushing myself to be successful. So I guess.... omg, yes, that IS me.

I have 20 lbs more to lose until I reach my own goal and in honesty - I'm frightened, worried that I won't do it. I've lost 80 or so lbs. before and gained it all plus some back. My mind cannot fathom, why's this time different? At 6 months, I read many stall and then weight doesn't come off - will that be me? Then I hear that 20% regain and I AM a grazer, I track every bite in MFP but I am ashamed of the way my daily records look to be honest for the grazing. Sorry, I'm rambling now I believe.... but hopefully my thoughts are the same ones another has & let's encourage one another on how to get through these thoughts and effectively/eventually changing such behaviors. It's a WLS journey, not just an easy fix.

That's why Need A Sleeve, how you started this thread, it really inspired me. You're take on "that means 80% are successful".... I like how you perceived the message that Dr. Jay delivered, not focusing on the negative but reframing it to view the positive. I bet you money you WILL be successful if you remain to keep such a positive view.[/quote']

Yeah I know exactly who you are. I saw you come in late and I never got a chance to say hi to you either. That's okay though. It's not like we won't see each other pretty much every week now. I love Dr. Jay's group and have a feeling it will be a long term source of support for me. I see myself being a part of it for a long time to come.

I admire your dedication to working out and the amount of it you do. I want to be like that one day. Not only does it help your body look better when you are exercising, but it's good to help in long term weight maintenance. So yes, the way I described you IS you. Do you enjoy working out or is it something you feel like you have to force yourself to do? I am just beginning my journey and, right now, exercise is something I have to force myself to do. I'm hoping one day, I won't feel that way. I want to

Iike doing it because it it sooooo good for you! I just don't!

Grazing........that is the number one reason that made me want to be part of Dr. Jay's group. I was considering counseling to help me with my mental battles with food (grazing mostly) when I attended my first monthly group where Dr. Jay spoke. It was during that meeting he said 20% of sleevers regain their weight and the number 1 reason they do is from grazing. It scared the crap out of me because my pattern before surgery was to eat (graze) all day. When he mentioned the weekly group, I saw him after to find out how I could be a part of it. I had to have an office consult with him and the big topic of conversation was grazing. As a matter of fact, he told me he puts me under the category of atypical binge eater. Not because I ate huge amounts like you think of in a binge eater, but because I pretty much ate constantly throughout the day.....I grazed. At least we both know what our weakness surrounding food is and we are fighting this battle. It doesn't take very long to figure out you can't rely only on your sleeve. I look at this as a journey. Never in a millions years did I know before surgery what a journey it would be. I've learned more in the last 11 1/2 weeks (2 week preop, 9 1/2 postop weeks) about myself than I think I've learned in a long time. Sometimes when I think about it I'm amazed just how much I have learned.

I love Need A Sleeve's perspective too. I think we all worry about our long term success in maintaining our weight. That's why this is a journey and why it's a very good thing we are part of Dr. Jay's group. I think it increases our chances of success because we aren't solely relying o. Our sleeve. In group, you come across to me as a person who is successful now and who will be successful in the long run. I definitely think you are doing the right things to ensure that. The very hard part is that you just always have to make sure you do those right things while you work on what you struggle with, grazing and I think you are doing that. You are documenting it so you are aware of what is going in your mouth and you are attending Dr. Jay's group. I think both of those things will help you in your battle with it. I hope so because I'm hoping the same thing for me!

Have a great week and I'll see you again next Thursday.

This thread has really Enlightened me. I am still awaiting insurance approval, but I have faith that I will be approved. Once I do have surgery, I hope that I will WANT TO work out. I think I will have the drive to do it daily so that I will look and FEEL better. I sure hope and pray that I will be the 80% and not the 20%.... ugh that would be a nightmare.

4ALongerLife, you are a role model to me!! I hope that I have the drive that you do. You are doing fabulous!!!!

It's really true that it's so easy to gain back 10% or more after 2 years. I can't tell you how much it scares me that I can eat so much more than I used to be able to. If I were not so careful, I am sure I would gain back more than 10 % The thing that saves me is not I am not really hungry, so that helps a lot.

It's really important not to eat between meals. I've been talking to quite a few people who are more than 2-3 years out, and are noticing that it's so much harder than it used to be, to keep it off. It's always a work in progress.

Guys, I am a bit confuse.

we are talking that 20% of people gain back? OR people gain back 20% of weight?

I am just over two years out now and I have been at this steady weight for over 10mths ( not at goal yet - regardless of what I do the pesky scale isn't moving! )! To be honest, I am not worried about maintaining or regain as I really feel mentally confident now. I know exactly how much I can eat, and each mouthful is a decision that I make.

If I decide I want a 'treat' then I trust my tiny tummy not to let me over indulge and it works!

i really think that to be truly successful, and long term successful then awareness is the key!

This site is useful too... I try to pop on most days and even if I don't post, it is good to read and therefore realise that I am not alone in this Quest for health!

Guys' date=' I am a bit confuse.

we are talking that 20% of people gain back? OR people gain back 20% of weight?[/quote']

I am confused too at first I was thinking 20% regain all of their weight back.Then someone's comments said something about gaining back 20%. I am leaning towards the first one being what was meant by original poster??

I was told by the psychologist who runs a group I belong to that 20% of people regain their weight.

ok the 80/20 reference is as amy said, 80 % are successful and 20% of sleevers regain their weight that they lost (and are unsuccessful). hope that clears it up! :)

I do believe as far as regain, a 10 lb bounce back is considered normal.

I was told by the psychologist who runs a group I belong to that 20% of people regain their weight.

What?? Talk about a therapist i wouldnt want to see! How defeatest is she?

What?? Talk about a therapist i wouldnt want to see! How defeatest is she?

I think you jumped to a conclusion and formed an opinion over 1 statement. First of all, he isn't a defeatist. He's telling a statistical fact. The truth! The reason we talk about this is because knowledge is power. We discuss it so we know what causes weight regain. We also discuss ways to avoid the habit and how to "live with" food without grazing. The sleeve can't make us or keep us skinny. We have to deal with the mental issues with food and not doing so is certain failure. I was a grazer all day long and the desire to do so didn't go away just because my tummy is smaller. I have to learn how to live life and not graze if I want to be successful long term. Not talking about the negative stuff doesn't make it go away. It makes us aware of things that can negatively impact our journey and it gives us the power to work on those things and be successful. I hope you are dealing with or have dealt with that side of your food issues too. And please be careful in the future about making such a harsh judgement about a single statement a person you don't know made. If you saw the number of people at his 2 groups you'd realize what a caring and good psychologist he reallly is. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many there. Every week and month they are packed.

To each his ir her own. I believe in peer support groups. I don't necessarily want to be told off the bat I could possibly be a failure. That's just me. Good luck with that.