Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken With Carmelized Onions, Lentils And Couscous-- Trust Me It's Yummy!

So I had bought a bag of lentils because I saw they were jam packed with Protein but I didn't really know what to make with them. So I looked up some recipes and I found this one on Sparkpeople. The actual recipe on the site is a little discombobulated, so I'll let you know what myself and other sparkpeople found when cooking this. Don't freak out with the number of calories, this recipe makes a HUGE amount and I don't know why they thought it would serve four, but it would serve much more. I used the exact amounts of all of the ingredients, but the changes you should make is start cooking your lentils right away. While they are simmering, then you can make the couscous, the chicken, and carmelize the onions. The end result needs some salt, but it is very different and for someone like my husband who has never had lentils, it makes it meatier I think. He actually thought I had added ground beef to it. Instead of fresh ginger, I used a dash of my ground ginger with the cinnamon. The chicken was AMAZING! I pounded it out nice and thin to have it cook evenly, then diced it up and mixed it in. I don't know how this freezes, I've been having it for lunch everyday so it doesn't last long. And it isn't a pretty dish either, it looks very bland with all the brown colors, but it's a Yummo dish! I tried putting some fresh parsely on top to give it color. Hope everyone who makes it enjoys!

Chicken with Onions, Lentils and Couscous

Nutrition Info

• Calories: 357.0
  • Fat: 9.1g
  • Carbohydrates: 33.4g
  • Protein: 34.2g

Ingredients

1 Cup Chicken broth

3/4 Cup Couscous (not prepared)

1 Cup Dry Lentils (rinsed and drained)

2 cloves garlic - smashed

1 pound Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon Grated Fresh Ginger

2 Teaspoons gruond cinnamon

1 medium Onion - chopped

Directions

4 servings-

1. In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Place Coucous in a bowl and drizzle broth on top. Cover tightly and let stand 10 minutes before fluffing with fork.

2. In the same saucepan, combine Lentils and garlic with Water to cover by 1-1/2 inches. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes (until lentils are tender). Discard Garlic. Stir lentils into Couscous.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together 2 Tblsp Olive Oil, the ginger and cinnamon. Season chicken with Salt and Pepper if desired. Add chicken to bown and toss to coat.

4. Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and cook chicken until no pink. Remove chicken and add chopped onion to skillet (you may wish to re-spray the pan or add a small amount of olive oil - which is not in the nutritional info). Stir and cook until onions are golden. Stir into the lentil mixture along with any pan juices left over (I've added a little water to the pan to get the 'tasty' stuff off of the bottom).

5. Plate the Couscous/Lentils/Onions and then place chicken on top.

Enjoy!

Number of Servings: 4

Sounds like my kinda food. The smell will annoy my family but twang my buds! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches