Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Reading some of the posts on here have helped immensely I am a RN who shared my surgery anxiety with a friend and was told my thoughts of dying were over the top and unjustified heartbreaking to say the least now I know I am not the only one to feel that way about wls

I'm pretty sure we all went through some moments of terror as our surgery dates approached. That's very normal (and justified). Any nurse knows that all surgery carries risks, and this is a major surgery, no doubt about it.

It didn't really hit me until after my surgery just how PERMANENT it is. I knew it in my head of course, but as I struggled to get down 1/3 cup of food it really hit me that I can't EVER eat as much as I want of something, ever again, no matter how good it tastes. It was something I had to grieve, and still struggle with sometimes, but most of the time I'm thankful for the restriction and the ensuing weight loss. :)

All I can tell you is to check out your surgeon thoroughly, and have confidence in his skills. Rest in that, and in the knowledge you will soon be sitting on the loser's bench!

I've had a surgery before so that was reassuring but post op I did Celebrate being alive, lol. It also motivated me to get up and walk, and to get over my stubborn self in the hospital. I didn't want to add to the risk of the surgery. That risk motivates me now, so calculate the risk and conquer your fears. Good luck

Us nurses are quite a breed right? I think we have seen so much it's just crazy to not consider all the complications- I keep going back to the surgical consultation and I asked if this was his daughter or wife would he recommend and he said absolutely! My primary care md was so excited for me when we discussed and recommended it for me and my situation wholeheartedly and said she hasn't always felt that way about WLS. Can't wait to be on the losers bench and move forward

RN in April, previously LPN for 15 years. Just had my sleeve done 4 days ago. Doing pretty good I think, quit using my pca pump after first night, only took lortab once for a HA and some upper chest pain from gas. Gonna try to stick with liquids until my 2 week post op f/u. I have reached my life long goal of becoming a RN, now to get smaller, healthier and comfortable in my body. Good luck to everyone!!

Looking for good quality chewable Vitamin with Iron and good taste? Any suggestions -

What kind of Vitamin are you looking for? A Multivitamin?

My surgeon has me taking a Multivitamin, sublingual B12, Calcium citrate, and vitamin D3 every day. For the multivitamin I take "Vitafusion Multivites plus hair, skin, and nail support". It has extra Biotin, Lutein, etc. for hair and nails. These are raspberry flavored gummies, you take 2 a day and they're not bad. You can get them at Walmart or costco and I think Wallgreens has them too. I take Bariatric Advantage sublingual B12, cherry flavor. The "calcium citrate with D3 petites" is generic Wallgreens brand pill. I take 4 a day, and even though they say "petites" they're not that small so I split them up taking 2 of them earlier in the day. I have tried some of the chewables, but most of them are Calcium carbonate (which is far less absorbable by the body, stay away from it), they didn't taste too great, and after eating 4 of them I would feel full, bloated, and nauseas so I switched to the pills. I had very low Vitamin D pre-op so I also take 10,000 IU of "Sunlight D3" per day, by Journey (this and the B12 can be ordered from bariatriceating.com or Amazon).

Hope that helps!

RN in April, previously LPN for 15 years. Just had my sleeve done 4 days ago. Doing pretty good I think, quit using my pca pump after first night, only took lortab once for a HA and some upper chest pain from gas. Gonna try to stick with liquids until my 2 week post op f/u. I have reached my life long goal of becoming a RN, now to get smaller, healthier and comfortable in my body. Good luck to everyone!!

Good luck to you Tabby! The first 2 weeks are the hardest, but hang in there and follow your surgeon's instructions. By day 4 I was so hungry I could barely stand it. I was on Clear Liquids the first week. When I got to go to full liquids on week 2 it got much better, and then with purees on week 3 I found out just how small my new baby tummy is! I got very full very quickly. That's when it's important to measure your food so you don't overeat, or you will be miserable for the next several hours.

I don't have to measure my food anymore because I can eyeball it fairly well, but more importantly I have learned my body's cues for when to stop eating. The texture, density, and moisture content of the food determines how much of it you can eat, so paying attention to your body's signals is essential! I rarely even finish my tiny plate of food because I stop when my sleeve tells me to. Within a few minutes I feel full and satisfied for at least 4 hours.

Really pay attention to your body and learn what all these new sensations mean. Soon they will become "the new normal" for you. :)

Thanks he said to get multivit w/iron. Calcium 1500 and B12 -liquid or chew- I want to take as few tabs as possible but want quality Vitamins for optimal energy and labs -

You're welcome. The calcium is the hardest part because 1500 per day is a lot of volume. Like I said, whether you take the chewable (Yuck!) or "petite" pills, it's still a lot of volume so you might find it helpful to split up the dose over the course of the day.

And remember, calcium impedes the absorption of other drugs so don't take them with your BP meds, etc.

Hello fellow nurse, nice to see a thread for only nurses!! I'm a L&D RN in California. I also started at the bottom (CNA) for 9 years, which include while I was in nursing school straight for my RN. I'm currently on my 6th day of preop Protein Shake and dry salad diet. Doing good, but hope I can get through the rest of my 3 week diet!!! I'm going to be having the RNY on July 7th!!! Nervous and excited at the same time!!!

Jay sweet- welcome I'm in california too- going north to Bay Area for my surgery July 17 th if all goes well- good luck and hope all goes well!

Jay sweet- welcome I'm in california too- going north to Bay Area for my surgery July 17 th if all goes well- good luck and hope all goes well!

thanks chrisrn for the welcome and goodluck to u too, our surgery dates are 10 days apart, will give u updates on how things are going!!! What surgery u are going for again?? I probably missed it if u mentioned it I in a previous post!!!

I am 10 week out from surgery and I have hit a plateau with my weight lose, Has anyone else had this and what did you do to get going again. I have been walking and riding a stationary bike, but not helping.