Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings everyone:

I am curious to know if post op .. did anyone have a mental breakdown? I surely did. I was sleeved on 7-9-12..in the hopsital for 4 days. while in hospital, stilled continued to receive my depression meds (get panic attacks and have generalized anxiety disorder) . Came home on Friday 7-13 and on 7-15 (my 29th wedding anniversary) I found myself in the psych ward. Couldve knocked me over with a feather. Never in my wildest dreams, did I ever think somethink like this could happen to me. Apparently, I had a psychotic break and tried to kill myself (said I ate 50 Ativan). I remember none of this. Was in the ward for 8 days. Been home two full days...back on full meds, back on my full hormones and still am a bit scared of going through this again. I teach and start back to work on the 13th...Am hoping to have full confidence going into the classroom. everyday I am feeling better. tomorrow I am starting indepth therapy to find out how all this came about and to deal with all that has happened and to deal with the future. I am trying to "forget/put to rest" my mental breakdown behind me. As I look back a few months before sugery there were many "alerts" that something was going wrong with my thinking concerning the VGS. was banded two years ago, no success, my surgeron offered the revision to the sleeve -- was approved and ready to go on June 15th, being scared and unsure is only normal. But one week before surgery, my sis (a pharmacist) tried to talk me out of the VSG -- telling me all kinds of horror stories that could happen, not to do it, she completely scared the **** out of me. So I went back and forth about having VGS -- spoke to my primary care, my shrink, my therapist and the bariatric team...they all said to go for it. So I rescheduled and had the surgery and a mental breakdown. So my question is ... has anything like this happened to anyone else? I cannot imagine I am the only one. those of us desiring these weight loss tools are told all of the fanatistic results (I am now 17 days post and have lost 14 pounds -- ok with slow loss) all well and good, but the AMA does not pursue the MIND< BODY<SPIRIT connection. I have a long journey ahead of me, which is fine. Cuz as the weight comes off I want to reconcile my mind with a new physical change. It will be like peeling make the pieces of an onion. But my very short term goal, I must at least acheive a day to day level headed functioning of daily life so I can begin work on 8-13-12. If you have anything to share or wisdom to offer, pls do so. For me it is one step at a time. Success and godspeed to all.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, it sounds really scary. I'm glad you're back on the mend and looking into why it happened. I have not heard of this happening with any other sleevers, but anything is possible. Keep your head up, you're on a journey that can only go up from here! xoxo

thank you so much

Oh dcobb, I'm so glad you are home and on the mend. How scary! I am still pre-op, so I can't relate. However, I am reading a book called "Weight Loss Surgery: Is It Right for You?" by Merle Cantor Goldberg, George Cowan Jr., William Y. Marcus. In the book, it discusses the importance of a support system, someone you can talk to about issues that come about. It also talks about family members and their reaction to you having surgery. Not all family members will be supportive, and in the book it specifically says that sometimes siblings may not be as supportive, esp if they are overweight themselves, because of "sibling rivalry." I really don't know if this is the case with your sister, but that wasn't very nice of her to tell you such horror stories before you had your surgery. That goes for ANYONE having ANY kind of surgery. It's just heartless to instill panic and fear in someone. Clearly you had already met with your surgeon, had confidence in his abilities, and felt comfortable with him doing this surgery on you. All surgeons are different, and all complications are different. And especially when there is a bad outcome, sometimes those stories get told and passed along, exaggerated, changed, etc. You had to go by YOUR surgeon and HIS statistics.

I am sorry your sister is clearly not supportive at this time. In the book, it suggests that you keep in close touch with your support system (whoever that is, your husband, friend, surgeon's office, support group members, and/or us here on this board). We are here for you! And yes, you may still have some hurdles, but hopefully you have read through the forums on this board to know what to expect. You will get through this! And by the way, obesity is a disease. And obesity disease causes depression. So in the long run, when you look into the future 6 months, 9 months, 12 months from now, as your weight comes down and you are feeling better, the depression will subside as well. And as your health and well-being, and quality of life get better, other family members like your sister will take notice and come to realize that hey, this was indeed a good thing for you!

I'm sorry this is so long, but I feel you are reaching out by your post and we are all here for you. Please make a contract, PLEASE, right here and now: if you EVER have thoughts of suicide, if you EVER start getting those feelings, that you will NOT do anything until you have talked to someone about it first!!! You pick who that someone is. Whether it is someone close to you in your life, surgeon's office, whoever. PLEASE, validate your contract here on this board. I don't know you, but I'm making you confirm this contract. :) This is from my heart. And I believe I speak on behalf of other members of this board. As long as you communicate, we will do our best to help you through the hurdles.

It's not easy, but try not to focus on your sister right now. Focus on you and your new healthy lifestyle!

I had a very minor breakdown at the kitchen table. Had my surgery on 7/11/12 left the hospital on 7/13/12. On 7/18/12 for whatever reason, maybe grieving the loss of solid food and smelling it being cooked and eaten I kind of freaked out and cried for the rest of the night and kept saying I didn't want to be thin anymore. I'm over it now. I called my best friend and she came over immediately to talk to me. My mom was staying with me and my husband and they were both supportive as well. But I really don't think anyone who hasn't had to go through this really understands. That's why I'm so grateful for this site. Hang in there, it gets better day after day.

I agree with everything the others have said and only want to add one small point: 14 pounds in 17 days is amazing. Please don't diminish your successes. You need all the success you can get right now.

Wow! What a horrible thing to happen! I am always supportive of someone having therapy in conjunction with WLS, and it sounds like you're on the road to getting that help! (((Hugs)))

Please get all of the help and support you can get during your journey. I'll keep you in my prayers.

thank you all so very much for the support, prayers and kind words. And for each and every one of you...I hereby make a contract, I will seek immediate help, if I ever have suicidal thoughts again. I promise you all. Please note, killing myself was never in the cards -- it never crossed my mind. This surgery was to be a new journey and a new future for me and my hubby. But I am in therapy for the long haul and I have new wonderful friends on this website. I will post a quick note most days just to keep you all posted. Once more thank you all again. God bless us all on our journies.

thank you all so very much for the support, prayers and kind words. And for each and every one of you...I hereby make a contract, I will seek immediate help, if I ever have suicidal thoughts again. I promise you all. Please note, killing myself was never in the cards -- it never crossed my mind. This surgery was to be a new journey and a new future for me and my hubby. But I am in therapy for the long haul and I have new wonderful friends on this website. I will post a quick note most days just to keep you all posted. Once more thank you all again. God bless us all on our journies.

((((((Big Hugs)))))) and thank you so much for the contract!!!! :D :D :D

to the original Poster...I had a breakdown of a different sort. I am a teacher as well, and Post Surgery EVRYTHING and EVERYBODY seemed to cause me stress. I think not having food as a Coping Mechanism was a major factor. 3 months after my surgery I started having panic attacks at work, I thought I would haul off and smack a kid and expressed my concerns to my hubby, but eventually I flipped out and went Bananas (verbally) on a student. Luckily, they accepted me quitting mid-year. Whew!

I'm fine now, but NO DOUBT the surgery made me LESS TOLERABLE of my students off the chain behavior---and they were a difficult bunch to begin with.

YOU MUST find a replacement for dealing with stress, if food was your go-to.

Wow... I'm sorry to hear that happens to you. I find myself being a little more moody if I do have a bad day. I do contribute it to not being able to pig out and relieve my stress. A big part of this surgery is finding other methods of dealing with life's events. I do agree that maybe you should consult a psych... Maybe the person who did your preop psych eval, or even just a therapist would help. I would also suggest some type of exercise, I know your so fresh off your surgery, so maybe you could start meditation see how that works. Immediately preop I took dancing as my therapy, trust me when I was home alone I was one dancing fool. It tired me out so bad, but I would take a nap after, and just wake up feeling soo good. Best of luck to you.