Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who or what determines when it's time to fill ?

Hey everybody. Im kinda new to the forum. In fact I had to figure out how to post my question. Ok I see my doc tomorrow. Im about 6 weeks out. I wonder if Im gonna get a fill tomorrow. I think I need one. Im down about 16 or so since surgery. But Im down a total 46 since my heighest weight. I started at 356 and now Im 310. How or who determines when the fills are due ? Thanks in advance !

The doctor and you should put your heads together to determine your fill schedule. Many doctors have a minimum waiting time between fills.

You will probably get one soon if you are 6 weeks post op. I got my first fill at about that point.

It should be something that is determined by both you and your doctor. Basically, you will let him know how you are feeling, such as, are you hungry, how soon after eating do you get hungry again, how much are you able to eat at one time, etc. Your doctor will take all of this into consideration. He/she will also look at how much weight you are losing and what it averages out to per week. After taking all of that into consideration, a decision will be made as to whether or not you need a fill, and how much.

I would say, seeing you are six weeks out and have not had a fill, you will definitely be getting one at this visit. After all, the band is designed to work with fills, not without them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hello,

I have been banded since Jan 2006 but have only had two fills. I am down about 33 lb. I kind of held off with getting my third fill because we were going on our lifetime dream of an Alaskan cruise and wanted to be able to enjoy some of the treats. Did really well adn came back home the same wieght as when I left. Still maintaining that numbe on month later. No more loss. Now I will admit to not always eating exactly right but I do most of the time. I excercise 3-5 days per week. I teach Water arobics and walk.

My question to all of you is do you think I need a fill? I can eat what ever I want as long as I eat slow. Usually at least a couple cups. I try to contol snacking between meals. I can eat bread but in small bites. I can drink a little wine with my meal if I am careful. I love to eat Cereal and do try to drink a Protein Shake each day. I am NOT very faithful about writing down what I eat but when I do I seem to do better. Some days are more faithful with that that others. I can eat a faily large salad with no problem if I don't eat fast and chew well. What do you all think. Should I call for a fill? I have a 10cc band and have had two fills but I am not sure how much I have. I don't want to be down to liquids either. I want to learn how to eat without overeating and using food as entertainment. I did go to that web site Lap band transformation and I still am not sure. I am leaning toward needing a little more. I have also noticed I can eat more that before. Does fill go away?? After second fill it was tighter than now.

I have a 10 cc band Mar. 27 '06 and have had 2 fills (about 3.5 each). I've lost 81 lbs but I have stuck to the rules very close. I would say if you can eat 2 cups of food at a time you are definitely in need of a fill. Do you get (stay) hungry? The cereal and bread (carbs) would make me have quite a bit of cravings.

"wine with meals"....it's recommended you have NO liquid with or for an hour after a meal....it washes the food out and you get hngry quicker

As for 'fills going away'....as you lose fat around your stomach the band feels looser and you need to get it filled again....is that what you mean?

Ah, yes "food for entertainment"....that's been the hardest part for us. Not much else to do around here for entertainment since we don't dance, drink, party, and can't even agree on movies!!

Okay, maybe I don't know all the rules but I guess I thought I was following them as they were given to me. I am maybe eating more than I should, my papers from the doc say about 1-1/2 cup. I am spose to have 50 -60 gr of Protein each day. I have a high Fiber Cereal for Breakfast. I eat protein first, veg second, carbs last. Right? I was not told I could not have carbs but should limit them and eat them last. I have a snack from time to time but usually try to keep it to eating protien. (sometimes it is sugary treats but not usually) I will have a low fat cheese stick sometimes for snack or fruit. I have a protein dring most days for one of the Snacks. Once in a great while (like when we go out to dinner once every couple of weeks) I will order a glass of wine. I am not much of a drinker so that is no big deal. I try to have enough Water (36 oz)or herbal tea each day. I do not drink pop or fruit juice as a rule. However, it is obvious by my stand still in the weight loss area that something is wrong. I am thinking it is quantity mostly. I am going to start (tomarrow because I am pretty much done eating for today) weighing and measuring and see if I am not surprised by how much more I can eat than I thought.

I am going to call for a fill tomarrow. I sure wish there was someone who I could just sit and talk to who also has a band. Don't know anyone I can call. I live in a fairly rural area and have no support group of any kind. I have visited with the nutrionist a few times though. My hubby has just comunicated with me (bless his little heart) that we are maybe having more treats than we think. He says we got a little easy on ourselves, one bite at a time, when we went on our cruise. It is so easy to let ones guard down. Will let you all know how it goes tomarrow. Thank you Gayle for trying to help. I will get this weight coming off again soon. I got a real slow start due to some complications

with my port and did not get my first fill until April 3. I know it could be more loss but I was happy as long as there was progress but it has stopped so I need to re-adjust my thinking and actions.