Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Sugar Spikes On Pre Op Clear Liquid Diet?

I'm on my 3rd day of 10 on clear liquid pre op diet. I'm off all my diabetes meds but I'm having high blood sugar readings throughout the day. Anyone else had these problems at all??

Well, yes it you are off your meds spikes are possible...Take a reading every hour, and let your doc know that it is, at this point, not feesable for you to be off all of your meds...this can actually hinder your healing!

...what are you on?

Not everyone can get off their meds - you don't just get high reading because of your food choices, and there is nothing to say you started out as a type 2, BUT have type 1 isues now. Were you a controlled diabetic before?

I am not a doctor, but I do know about this, and have seen this in patients I have advocated. I was diagnosed in 2007, and went into full remisson after being a controlled diabetic from 2007-2012. (controlled 70-110 BG range including morning fasts, and average A1c of below 6 for last 4 years). Just some FYI on why I would offer such specific advise. of course, consult an endo.

Did your doctor instruct you to stop your mess? I know that when we are hungry and donot eat, our liver thinks we are starving and will produce glucose as a survival mechanism. Small frequent meals are best. It make sense on a long clear liquid diet, your body is reacting. Of course I too am not a doctor, just a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. Dealing with this for many many years. This happens to me overnight. I wake up high.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Yes my surgeon took me off all diabetes meds until surgery. I just don't like how it makes me feel. Took a walk at lunch and it went down quite a bit, so feeling much better this afternoon. Hopefully when this is all said and done I can get off it for good. Good luck!!

Ugot2laff,

Did he tell you why he was taking you off your diabetes meds so early? Mine told me to take them and my BP meds even the morning of surgery. He said the only thing to take after surgery is BP meds. Maybe you should could call his office and tell them your #'s and he can rethink his decision.

Hope that you are doing well other than that ;)

Ugot2laff,

Did he tell you why he was taking you off you diabetes meds do early? Mine told me to take them and my BP meds even the morning of surgery. He said the only thing to take after surgery is BP meds. Maybe you should could call his office and tell them your #'s and he can rethink his decision.

Hope that you are doing well other than that ;)

They didn't want me to crash i guess, having my blood sugar go too low. I've talked to the surgeons office and my primary and they both say the same thing, just keep testing my blood and report in to them. I do have to take my BP med and my thyroid meds, just the diabetes i'm off of. Maybe its telling me to get out and move my ass and walk a little more huh lol Hope your doing well!!

Doing pretty well, just trying to stay busy. Don't want too much time to think about things :unsure:

Hope that tomorrow is better for you with your BS. Mine has been pretty good through the liquid diet but I am still on my meds too. I only have had one episode so far, of it dropping crazy low.

Tomorrow is a week from us leaving for Texas, I am excited about that!! :D

They monitor sugars in surgery even if you're not diabetic because like pp said, the body responds to stress with glucose and cortisol, etc.

A fasting/liquid diet will cause physical stress. Idk what this means for a diabetic, specifically. Simply that all people have the capacity to trspond this way.

Just more information. No conclusions here.

I hope they level out and you feel better soon.

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX

I am not a diabetic, but I do work in a pharmacy. There are so many different kinds/strengths/etc of diabetic medications that it's possible your doctor could lower your dose, depending on what you're taking. It would definitely be worth a call to them to make sure they realize how your blood sugar is spiking. I would contact both doctors, and let them know that you're concerned. Hopefully, even if they don't decide to prescribe anything, your mind will be put at ease that they are aware of the situation.