Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diagnosed With Sleep Apnea Today.... Feel Bummed

I had not been diagnosed with any complications ( of obesity)until today. Now i am feeling bummed and a bit down. I have not shared my journey with others. So only my husband knows. Feeling pretty crappy about myself. How did I get to this point?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Don't feel crappy about yourself, the fact that you're planning to have VSG to help lose weight is the most important thing! I too was diagnosed with sleep apnea, it's very common in folks with weight issues. I was happy that I was diagnosed, it was the determining factor in getting my insurance to approve my surgery. 6 more days until I get sleeved! Woohoo!

Hey look at it like this, if you get a CPAP machine, all the people i have talked to says it will change your life for the better, more energy more everything, the nurse told me this morning i will feel 20 years younger with the CPAP, I did a sleep study just last night with the mask only covering my nose, and it wasnt bad at all, just getting used to having a foreign object on your face, it wasnt bad at all. plus sleep apnea is very dangerous and can be deadly.

My sleep apnea machine (BiPap) has made a tremendous difference in how much energy I have and in how much sleep I need. I'm down to about six hours a night, no matter how hard I try to sleep more.

Don't look bad, look forward! You are on your way to health, which means you may not have the machine for long.

Just look forward.

You definitely should not feel bad about this. You've already made a decision to change your life for the better, and that's the important piece. You will have a great future ahead of you, and the CPAP machine can actually help you short term. I hope you feel better soon. :)

A big factor in my deciding to get sleeved was all the health issues that exasperate obesity: hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome and sleep apnea. I can tell you that since getting my CPAP, that I finally know what it feels like to get a good night's sleep! I actually don't sleep as well without it. So, chin up and sweet dreams! It will be awkward for a bit, but you'll get used to it!

And, once you lose weight, you probably won't need it anymore!

Don't feel crappy about yourself, the fact that you're planning to have VSG to help lose weight is the most important thing! I too was diagnosed with sleep apnea, it's very common in folks with weight issues. I was happy that I was diagnosed, it was the determining factor in getting my insurance to approve my surgery. 6 more days until I get sleeved! Woohoo!

WOO HOO! FIVE days now! Congrats on nearing your sleeve date! I cannot wait to be in your shoes!

Hello Everyone!

Thank you kindly for listening and providing me with encouraging words. This day has been very hard. I appreciate you showing me the light. 1. this will help me get approval for surgery with my insurance company. 2. to look forward to my future. 3. I have made the decision to find optimal health.

I sincerely appreciate your thoughts!

I hope you guys are doing well!!

Sarah

I was diagnosed with it but I have a very mild case. During the sleep study I hated the machine, I felt like a couldn't breath and I kept getting light headed. I decided not to purchase the machine because I felt like it was suffocating me :-(

Sarah, your avi reminds me of the banana phone song. Hahahahaha

Something you should know about sleep apnea is that most Americans have it. I'm in the trucking industry and it's common practice to have any driver with a BMI over 32 tested for sleep apnea. Over 85% come up positive. This is definitely not the end of the world, actually if you're dealing with insurance, this is a big benefit. Chances are that once you hit or get near your goal weight you will be retested and have a really good chance of curing the problem.

O.T.R. I love the banana phone! Made me laugh.

I myself was not diagnosed with sleep apnea, but if my surgery would have been denied due to no comorbidities, I would be excited to have this due to the increased probability of getting the tool to help me loose weight. not only that, sleep apnea causes all your internal organs to work extra extra hard, which leave you feeling tired and that alone increases hunger. It also causes difficulties with mental processes. you lack the ability to think clearly and therefore places your life in danger when driving a car. So I am so excited you found this out and the fact your taking the steps to get the tool of the sleeve to help lose those pesky pounds and live a healthier life. You are so lucky! So happy for you! :)