Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Defining A Higher Power

As a recovering person, I rely on the science of addiction studies, which assures me that addiction is not evil or sin, it is a disease. Some of the behaviors that are symptomatic of my disease are serious and must be adddressed. Not through guilt and shame, but by the most effective recovery techniques, added to a basic spiritual factor that is also effective in breaking the bond substances and addictive behaviors have over me. Science also tells me that meditation, prayer, sharing, confession of behaviors, and journaling, as well as other spiritual activities, are part of successful recovery.

Chapter Five of The Big Book of AA tells us:

"Do not be discouraged. No one among us has been able to maintain anything like per­ fect adherence to these principles. We are not saints. The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

"Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:

-- That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.

-- That probably no human power could have re­ lieved our alcoholism.

-- That God could and would if He were sought.

-- Being convinced, we were at Step Three, which is that we decided to turn our will and our life over to God as we understood Him. Just what do we mean by that, and just what do we do?"

This is where action must be added to faith...The 12 Steps helps us begin the process....{:>} rd

Well...it sounds like that's what's been given to you to help you through, and I hope it's doing just that. God is the provider of ALL things, and He gives us what we need if we are His. As for your religion addiction....might I inquire as to what "flavor" so to speak, it was? If you don't want to share that, I understand. Just curious. It's not often people will talk about these subjects without argument or offense, so I'm enjoying this, thanks. :)

As for your religion addiction....might I inquire as to what "flavor" so to speak, it was? If you don't want to share that, I understand. Just curious. It's not often people will talk about these subjects without argument or offense, so I'm enjoying this, thanks. :)

I travelled all over the US and the world (Russia) in an evangelistic singing group.

Independent baptist, Episcopalian, and Church of Christ. All had sexually abusive clergy. The latter extremely powerful, fundamentalist and cultic....

"When God Becomes a Drug" is a great book... Helped me reconsider a creator..

I travelled all over the US and the world (Russia) in an evangelistic singing group.

Independent baptist, Episcopalian, and Church of Christ. All had sexually abusive clergy. The latter extremely powerful, fundamentalist and cultic....

"When God Becomes a Drug" is a great book... Helped me reconsider a creator..

OOOOOoohhhhh. I'm sorry to hear that :(

God and my addiction... I feel so alone in this it's hard to believe anyone is out there watching over me. Maybe it's like the footprints prayer, or maybe I am all alone...

For me I guess I'm caught in a catch 22- did a god give me this problem to see me through it? If He did, I'm pretty angry because I don't know if I'll make it... If there's no one out there then I got this problem through luck of the draw but also have no option of divine intervention.

My arms are open to a higher power though...

I think a higher power can mean any number of things. For some its god, or some other deity, whatever the name might be.

For others, its an idea of how we want to live or be or act towards others.

For some its a thing or a situation, like a beautiful blooming flower or smelling their children's (or animal companions) hair.

To choose your own higher power is what makes us all important, different, unique. To not choose a higher power does not make us any less important, special, or unique.

To tell someone what or who they must believe in or think or feel about a higher power, well I think that's a crime.

I have no problem with people believing in a higher power and sharing their beliefs with others. I do have a problem with people saying I have a problem if I choose to believe in nothing.

Amen Dooter love and believe everything you wrote.

I am an atheist. I consider higher power to be a something I can achieve within myself through making the right choices. I can choose, actively choose, to behave differently, to be a better person, and so on.

I think a higher power can mean any number of things. For some its god' date=' or some other deity, whatever the name might be.

For others, its an idea of how we want to live or be or act towards others.

For some its a thing or a situation, like a beautiful blooming flower or smelling their children's (or animal companions) hair.

To choose your own higher power is what makes us all important, different, unique..[/quote']

The portion quoted above is my idea of a higher power as well just said more beautifully then i could have voiced it. But I differ when it comes to a person just not choosing anything to believe in. I find that difficult to imagine or maybe im out of touch. Seems at the bare minimum everyone believe in themselves or the idea of right and wrong. Ive been called naive more than once but honestly i believe that everyone has a belief system even if its a belief of their own ideas. One example that comes to mind is....Child molester enters prison, guards directly or indirectly make it known what he is in for, knowing what other inmates will do. Now inmates (along with the guards) of different races, religions, beliefs, gangs, cities, social classes, education levels, etc will despise him because a common Golden Rule which is you dont harm children. I guess one could choose to neither like or despise him. Guess this post was talking out the idea of not choosing anything. I couldnt find a point in living without a higher being or power. How could i make it through this thing called life without calling on something for strength, not even myself, not a thought? Nothing?!

Personally, my higher power is God! I gather much strength and determination knowing that Jesus gave his own life up knowing that it was just a little ounce of goodness in me. Even if it took 3 decades for me to even know myself. I have no interest at all in religion or church. Like the one poster before, church and religion is so saturated with manmade rules that they leave very little room for God. Just my opinion, I believe God is always with all of us. When i need to find my inner peace, i close my eyes and seek out the God in me. When i need to reach a person, I look them in their eyes and seek out the God in them. When i see that beautiful flower blooming, i see God working in it. And not just the beautiful....I see God in the not so beautiful things as well.

Anyway enough of my new age hippie soapbox!!! Lol, just my thoughts!

I probably should have clarified..by believing in nothing, I meant if a person chooses NOT to believe or subscribe to a religion or deity. It would be a true feat to believe in absolutely zilch in a broad sense. And I personally believe in lots of things: an all knowing, all powerful creator just happens to NOT be among them. Thanks for allowing me to clarify :-)

How does this impact on addiction? Lots of very good Christians struggle with OCD and addictive behavior?

There are no "very good Christians" no not one ,that's why we need a savior! I was led to Christ by a guy I met at an aa meeting 15 years ago! Funny thing was I asked him the same question you pose, he suggested that it only had to be higher than me (no pun) like the group,or somebody who wasn't drinking , it seems that the intention was not to force God on people, but rather introduce a concept to the recovering person ---OTHERS --- the aa writings expose the root of most of our troubles grew out of our self centered attitudes. All the steps speak to this. Jmo. We can only keep what we have by giving it away!

Ok....you asked.... ;)

Any "religion" that centers on man and man's power and ability is destined to fail.

The one true God of the Bible, who is the sovereign of the universe is the only one worthy of praise and glory. And that is our purpose. To glorify God. It is HIS wrath we are under, and He has gifted us with the answer to that problem through the Lord Jesus Christ because he loves us. God is not a power hungry ogre just waiting to cast us into Hell. He is perfect love and joy waiting with outstretched arms for us to answer His call.

We are not banging our fists on the gates of Heaven, wanting to be let in, yet He is keeping us at bay, instead... We are all running as fast and as hard as we can straight for Hell, but in His divine sovereignty and love he stops this one, and this one, and that one, turning us to Him and welcoming us into His family and Kingdom in eternal splendor. That's where I am.

I may have never been quite so vocal on this site about this subject, so I may lose friends, but... that's what I think and feel about it. The Holy Spirit confirms this in my soul.

Great Word....

RickyDee,

I am sorry, and sadden to hear that you were abused spiritually. I am reading a book of selections by Max Lucado and he talks about Gods love. " God's love does not hinge on yours. The abundance of your love does not increase his. The lack of your love does not diminish his. Your goodness does not enhance his love, nor does your weakness dilute it.

God loves you simply because he has chosen to do so. He loves you when you don't feel lovely. He loves you when no one else loves you. Others may abandon you, divorce you, and ignore you, but God will love you. Always.No matter what.

Many blessing on Yom Kipper, day of Atonement!

Nah, all religion is voodoo.

Live your life to the fullest, care for others, make the world a better place for your having lived here.

That's as close to "heaven" as any if us will get.

Sent from my iPad using VST

12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous & Biblical References

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol ... that our lives had become unmanageable.

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." (Romans 7:18)

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

"... my grace is sufficient for you, for my POWER is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9)

..for it God Who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose.. (Phil. 2:13)

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of GOD as we understood Him.

"... If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23**)

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

"Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord." (Lamentations 3:40)

Admitted to GOD, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed." (James 5:16)

Were entirely ready to have GOD remove all these defects of character.

"If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land." (Isaiah 1:19)

Humbly asked Him to remove all our shortcomings.

"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up." (James 4:10)

Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift." (Matthew 5:23, 24**)

Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Give and it shall be given you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6:38**)

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.

"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith GOD has given you." (Romans 12:3)

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with GOD as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will, and the power to carry that out.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly..." (Col. 3:16)

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and practice these principles in all our affairs.

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:1-2)

**The words of Christ

In my own strength, I could have never embarked on this journey. It was my absolute trust in God that moved me past any fear, doubt, anxiety, etc. that would have most def held me back prior to my 're-birth'. To non-believers this may sound crazy and take it how you want it but I've been pursing WLS for over 10 years and the financing and/or insurance approval was a mountain way too high to climb. It def seemed impossible to me. Finally, one day in prayer I asked the Lord to 'show me the way' after have given up on this idea for several years and literally within 10 min I had my answer! I found a lady on the internet who went to Mexico (cheap and no insurance hoops) and used her Med Flex 125 card to pay for her surgery...wow I could do that except one problem...I only put $1700.00 in my flex for the year which could not be changed without a qualifying reason. Within 2 months my husband changed jobs unexpectedly and BAM my qualifying reason so I upped my flex to $4500.00 (good thing too the IRS is lowering the max amount to $2500 next year), scheduled my surgery and now am 4 weeks on the other side. After 10 years I can hardly believe this actually happened for me. All I can do is give Glory to God for the amazing life he has in front of me...the strength of the Lord is my complete faith that I serve a God of the IMPOSSIBLE.

Born again Christians are not religious and cringe at the word. Our personal relationship with Jesus is a very spiritual journey that is different and unique for every believer. I def don't have the answers but I can tell you that my life was completely transformed for the better the day I accepted the Lord as my personal savior. To each their own but I have to share the JOY I've found in the Lord...there is NOTHING he can not do for you if you call on his name and ask.