Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Bowel Prep!!!

Hi,

I am having lap surgery this Thursday and have a question about bowel prep. on Wednesday.:) The surgeon's instruction is to take magnesium citrate at 1PM and to expect laxative effect for 6-8 hours.

I am working in the AM (9h to 1h30) and in the evening (6h to 9h). Based on your experience, would it be possible to take laxative at 9hPM? :paranoid Or can I expect the stronger effect of the laxative during the first hour? :nervous

Thanks for your reply.

Ciao... for now.

I have to tell you that it would be greatly advised that you call off the second half of your shift. 9pm is too late to take the mag citrate. I have had to take several bowel preps personally and also working a surgical floor and giving them on a regular basis I can tell you that it is not to your best advise to take it that late. Sometimes it takes right away and other times it takes awhile to kick in and lasts for a long time. They want you to take it at that time so that your bowels arec cleaned out and that you can get some rest. There is a good possibility that if you take it so late that you won't be completely cleaned out when needed and then will have to postpone your surgery. Thats something that I am sure you don't want to happen. Best of luck!

OMG, that stinks that you have to do this. I wonder why your doc wants it? I didn't have to do this for my surgery.

Now, my aunt had to do it for her GB and she said it was pretty intense. I agree with NurseTeresa...better be home for this!! And stock up on TP. I hope it goes well for you.

It is very intense. You will not be able to work that second shift. It really is impossible. You will be wedded to the toilet.

I have to say that it may very well help you with post op gas. I was on liquids the whole week and then did an enema the night before. I don't know what your pre-op diet is but I would also ease up on solids 2 days before Wednesday to make it easier on you.

Good luck with your surgery and cut yourself some slack. Unless you can telecommute by computer while sitting on the john, you can't work past 1:00. That mother kicks in like nobody's business.

I second what they said... I was on liquid for two weeks pre-op and did the magnesium citrate starting at 1pm drinking Water every hour and then the MC at 4 and then more water every hour until 9pm. It kicked in bad about 5:30 or so and didn't let up for a long time. And get yourself some vaseline for your backside privates...it stings somthing fierce!!

Thank you all for your reply,

I thought that the bowel prep would be similar than the one they give before delivering at the maternity ward. I remember that it was intense but it did not last 6-8 hours; more like 2-3 hours. I had gb removed 5 years ago and did not have to do this!

I am on Optifast since mid-july and did not eat anything solid in a while. How much liquid can someone flush??? :omg: (Not sure I want to know the answer for this one just yet...lol):nervous

Worst case scenario I will cancel my class in the evening which I hate to do because it is the beginning of the semester and I never missed teaching a class. :welldoneclap:

Whatever it takes... the band is a must!!!:)

Ciao... for now.

Hi Ericsmom,

Thanks for the tip about the vaseline. Now I'm nervous lol........

Sorry for the ignorance but what is MC? Did you have to take the magnesium citrate twice? Why did you have to drink hourly?

The instruction that I received are: take a dose of 10-12 ounces of Citrate of magnesia and follow this dose with 2 glasses of Water.

Thanks again.

One last suggestion-get yourself some baby wipes non-alcohol. It may not be so bad because you've been on liquids but it is good decision not to do that late shift.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!!!

Wow sorry you have to go through this. Hubby and I didn't have a bowel prep.

Best of luck with your surgery.