Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation And Other Thoughts

Friday is my appt with the Bariatric team's psychologist. I'm wondering what they'll ask. Would anyone out there like to share their experience? I'm a bit nervous. Just had the 4hr orientation last week and I'm still processing and reflecting on how huge of life changing journey this all is. I've also been thinking of how and if to tell my co-workers. I mean their going to notice such a drastic change. It's so strange because although my weight struggle is witnessed by others, y'all know it's a private matter. So many thoughts this early morning. Anyway, thanks for your responses.

When I went for my evaluation, I was nervous too but she made me feel very comfortable. She asked me what my life was like such as work, kids, and hobbies...she said to get to know me. Then she asked what expectations I had from surgery and what diets I had tried in the past. She explained how much of a change this was gonna be and how I would handle that change. I was honest and said I really don't know how to answer that, because I have all these ideas of how I will handle this lifestyle change, but in reality when the time comes I will just do the best I can and learn as I go. She had also had the same surgery so she knew what I was facing and the issues I was dealing with being overweight. I explained how I wanted to not be diabetic and that my main goal was to cure my illness that I was dealing with , diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and degenerative disc disease in my back . She asked about my support system and who would I be able to count on during surgery and after . We talked about how to handle negative feelings of others who think surgery would be an easy way out, and how to deal with people who will treat you different after you lose weight . I actually enjoyed discussing things with her .

Just had my psych eval yesterday. It's more of a behavior modification eval for life after surgery than a mental health eval. It was pretty painless.

Thank you both so much for your help!!!

I'll tell you that there is a wide range of what the psych evals entail. Mine was not about behavior modification, well, there was a little of that, maybe 5 minutes. Mine was more about my life history, trauma, weight issues, a little bit of everything.

I have heard where others have to take tests. Others get asked strange questions. So, it could be anything!

I can answer this one I think-

What I looked for when I saw people and what I believe others look for is emotional stability- also ruling out specific disorders that most definitely need specific medications that I believe are not easily regulated with such surgeries as the way certain meds are metabolized after theses surgeries are not all known or regulated well. So emotionally stable- sound support system; problem solving ability- likelihood of following through with dr recommendations; etc.

When I went for mine she hardly asked me anything but maybe because I am a therapist too. She did tell me I had a positive mindset which I do have not regretted do this for one minute

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I was asked a lot about what type of support system I have. She asked a couple questions about substance abuse and eating disorders. One of the questions she asked me that really stands out was: "What do you think will inhibit my weight loss process?"

Hey All,

My Psych Eval went well today and I was at ease thx to all of your responses! Next appt is with the Surgeon on 8/27. So excited! This process is moving along quicker than I thought. Thx for your support. TTYS!