Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do for the first few months when people want to go out to eat? Do you still want the food as you sit there and smell it and watch others eat it while you drink a Protein Drink or whatever?

My "want" of food came back after the first 3 weeks or so. I go out to eat all the time and have since day 2. In the beginning I got broth or Soup and now I get whatever I want. I don't limit myself really. If I want it, I eat it. I just don't eat the whole thing or even half.

Most people only do Protein shakes and liquids for the first few weeks.

actually had something like this happen today. my boyfriend took me to my doctor appt this afternoon. he didn't eat before we left. and I haven't been eating much today either. so when we were done he was starving. i stopped off at burger king and he got a big mac meal. I didn't get anything. the only thing on the menu that I could have gotten away with eating was their smoothy which i'm sure is so full of sugar my nut would KILL me. so i sat there and watched him eat. didn't bother me a bit. i could smell the grease on the burger and it actually made me queasy. the fries didn't appeal to me either. and he had a coke...omg....a coke! but i didn't crave it (slaps forhead and falls over). i was perfectly fine just sitting there and chatting with him.

Now I wouldn't be able to do that with everyone. he knows better than to offer me any. he wants me to succeed. and it would also depend on the food. not so sure I could have passed up on brownies, choc chip Cookies, icecream, or itiallian food. lol

What about in the beginning while you were still on liquids and mushy foods. I guess it would depend on the restaurant. Some people went out for Chinese food today and I was thinking what would I have eaten here had it been after surgery?

They serve Soup everywhere. I MEAN EVERYWHERE. (ok, not fast food but you shouldn't be eating that anyhow)

So you will be fine.

Chinese has hot and sour soup, egg drop soup, sizzling rice soup etc

Mushy wise you could have had tofu based food I guess

My husband stopped on the way from hospital with me in the car and got KFC drive thru. I don't eat KFC. Even pre-op.

But I got really irritated with him anyway! I had been in emergency for 4 hours getting Fluid drip. My stomach was trying to eat itself. Although no way I would have eaten KFC, I was angry he didn't go on his way to pick me up instead of after getting me?

Even if he had thought of bringing a resource drink for me would have helped.

I was definitely angry but not cause I wanted his food!

I've been wondering the same thing and have been stalking restaurant menus all day. I just started dating a guy who doesn't know about my surgery yet and he wants to go to dinner Sunday. I'm trying to figure out if I can just avoid it and suggest something else to do or find some mushies on a menu. (I'm 18 days out.)

My husband and I are getting ready to go to Chinese for dinner. Will have egg flower Soup and a taste of his egg foo yung. Plus if they have a good tofu dish will probably order that too.

I had been in emergency for 4 hours getting Fluid drip. My stomach was trying to eat itself.

what happened? did you get dehydrated? By the way I would have killed him.

what happened? did you get dehydrated? By the way I would have killed him.

I originally went in because my hernia wound was open and bleeding and they said while I was there they would pop a cannula in and give me some fluids since its so hard to stay hydrated post sleeve. it did help, felt a bit more energetic while telling hubby off.

Lucky we live in Australia because the access to food I would kill him for is much greater in Texas! Spinach enchiladas for one!

Out to dinner in the liquids diet i would choose Soup... In the puree stage i would choose Soup again (as stated, all places have soup) ... In the mushy stage i would choose shrimp or fish...

My husband and i have gone to Applebees a few times and he gets the parmesan shrimp and steak dinner. He eats the steak, 1/2 parmesan shrimp and potato or rice pilaf and i eat 1/2 the parmesan shrimp and veggies....

so if your date does not know about your surgery and you are in the "eat anything you want" stage. Then order a smart choice and just remember you will have a few more meals out of your dinner. If you feel like he is going to question your "lack of appetite" just mention you had a late lunch.

Don't let the sleeve stop you from enjoying yourself ... You will be eating this way for the rest of your "healthier" life. :)

Hubby and I went to Chinese tonight, I had egg foo young. I had never had it before. It went down ok. I am on the mushie stage. I had about 5 bites.

Hubby and I went to Chinese tonight, I had egg foo young. I had never had it before. It went down ok. I am on the mushie stage. I had about 5 bites.

that's good. 5 bites? What do you do the rest of the meal? Watch him, or does it take a while to get those 5 bites down? This is going to be so difficult I think.

actually had something like this happen today. my boyfriend took me to my doctor appt this afternoon. he didn't eat before we left. and I haven't been eating much today either. so when we were done he was starving. i stopped off at burger king and he got a big mac meal. I didn't get anything. the only thing on the menu that I could have gotten away with eating was their smoothy which i'm sure is so full of sugar my nut would KILL me. so i sat there and watched him eat. didn't bother me a bit.

The chili would have been a good choice (if you eat meat). High in Protein... although I guess it depends on where you are in the food stage. :)