Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 13 days post-op and feels like I'm having acid reflux. The back of my throat to is all hot like a threw up and don't remember. HELP!!!

I kept Tums with me at all times. I also took an OTC acid reducer right before I went to bed at night. It normally held me over until the next afternoon. It's really bad at first, but it does get better. I'm 8 weeks out and rarely get it now. But I had it bad the first night home.

Ask your doc about liquid Zantac. My surgeon prescribes it for all his pts, for several months after surgery, to keep acid levels in the sleeve at a minimum. I've had no issues with acid...take 2tsps twice a day. Even the taste doesn't keep me from taking it!! (the taste clears quickly if you follow it with something flavored...chicken broth, or applesauce.). All the best to you!

I was put on pepsid morning and evening. I also took Gas-X. I have had acid reflux for several years now, and I was omaprazole, but the pill was too big.

If you are having problem with your Water coming back, try drinking out of a one ounce cup or even a shot glass, it helps you from pulling in too much air.

I wish I could go back on Omaprazole, but I can't handle opening it up and putting it on food to get down.

Since surgery I have more of a problem with my pills. I have never had a problem taking medicines before and now I have to take all pills with skim milk. Weird, I am hoping this gets better with time, and it most likely will.

You need a PPI - you need Nexium, Prilosec, or Protonix. Your doctor should have prescribed you something like this, but I'm seeing more and more people posting with acid issues lately so I think many doctors simply aren't doing it.

Either get to the store or have someone go for you - pick up some generic Prilosec (omeprazole) and you will feel MUCH better. You should be on it daily until you no longer need it and the acid is under control. For most people this is somewhere between six months to one year.

The only medicine I tried that did nothing for me was Prevacid, so I'd start with something else.

And make sure it's a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) or else you're only treating the symptoms, not the cause and you'll continue to be plagued by acid problems.

Hope you feel better soon!

~Cheri

Oh and in the meantime, while you're waiting for your meds to take affect, try sleeping on several pillows and not eating anything before bed. For me it was worst at night until I got it under control.

This is a very common side effect. You have nothing to worry about and with inexpensive medication you'll be much better.

~Cheri

Thanks everybody I was ready to go to the ER. I thought something was truly wrong with me. I took some pepto cause that was in the house and it helped me sleep. But today I'm buying me one of the PPIs that Cheri suggested. Thank You all again,

- Tracy : )

I've noticed the same thing, Cheri....it seems like many surgeons don't prescribe anything for acid reflux after surgery. I'm SO thankful I picked the program I picked!!! All the best, to all of us! :)