Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Doubts? Dont Dr Kelly Is Amazing

I am 27 with a young family and have decided to be sleeved by Dr. Kelly. I just told my mom about going to mexico and she is worried about after care. If I got home and something were wrong what would I do... would I be able to get treatment....will my pcp still see me? I told her a hospital HAS to treat me! I will have to pay out of pocket (I think) but I won't be turned away! Does anyone have any advice I could pass on to her to make her feel better about this?

I am 27 with a young family and have decided to be sleeved by Dr. Kelly. I just told my mom about going to mexico and she is worried about after care. If I got home and something were wrong what would I do... would I be able to get treatment....will my pcp still see me? I told her a hospital HAS to treat me! I will have to pay out of pocket (I think) but I won't be turned away! Does anyone have any advice I could pass on to her to make her feel better about this?

Tell mom that Dr k does 3 leak tests, 2 in surgery, and one 48hrs later. Also, you can tell her that the main complication is a leak, and Dr k hasnt had one in years! He also sews the fundis(sp) onto the sleeve over the area that usually is thr most prone to a leak. Tell her that Dr K is a fellow in the prestigious American College of Surgeons (FACS) and that he has been a bariatric surgeon 2x as long as most American surgeons performing the sleeve. he also belongs to the American bariatric association. He also graduated from college magna cum lade (sp) (with honors) So, in essence you are choosing an higher American standard of surgeon with a Mexico price! I believe he is extremely gifted, kind, and skilled :)

You need to talk to your pcp about aftercare. It will mostly consist of a blood panel every 3-4 months for the first year. If your pcp has an issue caring for you, drop them and go elsewhere, but in the meantime, you can go into any wslk in clinic to have labs run. Im ten years older than you and have children in grade school, I understand your/her concerns, but honestly, you have chosrn a phenomenal surgeon, and unless you have some major health problems, or have sn extra high bmi, you will do great! But Dr k eill do surgery on patients other drs won't touch. Hes incredible!

You need to talk to your pcp about aftercare. It will mostly consist of a blood panel every 3-4 months for the first year. If your pcp has an issue caring for you, drop them and go elsewhere, but in the meantime, you can go into any wslk in clinic to have labs run. Im ten years older than you and have children in grade school, I understand your/her concerns, but honestly, you have chosrn a phenomenal surgeon, and unless you have some major health problems, or have sn extra high bmi, you will do great! But Dr k eill do surgery on patients other drs won't touch. Hes incredible!

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly back in March (so far I have lost 42 lbs). I wrote about my entire experience on my blog page here on the site. I was sleeved just before his transition to Omar as his coordinator. I went directly through him with no problems. I would definitely recommend him. I went by myself and had no problems (look at it as a giant adventure :)

I'm glad you had a great experience! My surgery was 6 weeks ago with Dr. Kelly. I had a great experience and healed up well. Omar rocks. He seriously needs a fan page' date=' lol.[/quote']

Hey that's a good idea! Lol

I am 27 with a young family and have decided to be sleeved by Dr. Kelly. I just told my mom about going to Mexico and she is worried about after care. If I got home and something were wrong what would I do... would I be able to get treatment....will my pcp still see me? I told her a hospital HAS to treat me! I will have to pay out of pocket (I think) but I won't be turned away! Does anyone have any advice I could pass on to her to make her feel better about this?

I left kids behind also. Mine are 19, 15, 12, 10, 8, and 6. I know how you feeling. I just want you to know when they wheel you out of your room and bring you into that operating room you will be terrified ( I dong care who your surgeon is) all I could think is " what the hell am I doing? " then I prayed!!! My sister in law (who has also done this) went through the same thing at that moment. So when your there being wheeled down just know that being scared is normal. It's not your conscience telling you something bad is gonbz happen. And I don't think you'll have any trouble with your aftercare. :-)

Thanks to all the replys! I have been waiting to have this done for the past three years! I am sick of fighting with united healthcare for an approval! My mom has known that I will be getting sleeved from the start and is fine with it....she just has misconceptions about mx. I am well prepared for this and am trying to make her feel at ease with it. I know I will be in great hands with Dr kelly and omar! Its not like I'm super huge either...my BMI is 43.8....so 280lbs I know all the do's and donts I know I will be fine. But she doesn't think I will be able to get care from doctors here if I go to mx.

Thanks to all the replys! I have been waiting to have this done for the past three years! I am sick of fighting with united healthcare for an approval! My mom has known that I will be getting sleeved from the start and is fine with it....she just has misconceptions about mx. I am well prepared for this and am trying to make her feel at ease with it. I know I will be in great hands with Dr kelly and omar! Its not like I'm super huge either...my BMI is 43.8....so 280lbs I know all the do's and donts I know I will be fine. But she doesn't think I will be able to get care from doctors here if I go to mx.

Sorry for the double msg!

Lol happens to me all the time! So when are you going to see Dr K? Can your Mom go with you? That might help a lot with a few of her concerns. Like I said prior, your pcp will most likely care for you post op. And you're correct, the ER HAS to treat you, but like you said, maybe at your own cost. I saw on a diffetent post on here yhat you can buy INS to cover up to 50k if you have complications. I was scared, and had a mini breakdown right before we left cor the airport. Those feelings are normal! I was not scared when I got wheeled into surgery, but I can understand why people would be. Dr Kelly & Omar took lots of time talking with my group, answering questions ore op. We got there the day before, and it allowed us to settle in, see other patients who were just sleeved, and get acclimated to our surroundings. I think that helped our anxieties quite a bit! Im very excited for you! I was very close to your bmi, and today im 30 days out and down 26 pounds!

Lol happens to me all the time! So when are you going to see Dr K? Can your Mom go with you? That might help a lot with a few of her concerns. Like I said prior' date=' your pcp will most likely care for you post op. And you're correct, the ER HAS to treat you, but like you said, maybe at your own cost. I saw on a diffetent post on here yhat you can buy INS to cover up to 50k if you have complications. I was scared, and had a mini breakdown right before we left cor the airport. Those feelings are normal! I was not scared when I got wheeled into surgery, but I can understand why people would be. Dr Kelly & Omar took lots of time talking with my group, answering questions ore op. We got there the day before, and it allowed us to settle in, see other patients who were just sleeved, and get acclimated to our surroundings. I think that helped our anxieties quite a bit! Im very excited for you! I was very close to your bmi, and today im 30 days out and down 26 pounds![/quote']

I am planning on going in March so I will have our tax return to pay for it! ;-) My mom lives in FL and I'm in MI....She also thinks I need someone to fly with me to help me through the airport. I've been telling her that people go alone every day and do just fine! I just don't have to many people I would want to go with me. I wasn't planning on telling to many people about going to mx...I just don't want to feel like I have to explain my actions to everyone in my family to possibly find someone to go with me! I probably shouldn't have even told her....but she's my mom.

I am planning on going in March so I will have our tax return to pay for it! ;-) My mom lives in FL and I'm in MI....She also thinks I need someone to fly with me to help me through the airport. I've been telling her that people go alone every day and do just fine! I just don't have to many people I would want to go with me. I wasn't planning on telling to many people about going to mx...I just don't want to feel like I have to explain my actions to everyone in my family to possibly find someone to go with me! I probably shouldn't have even told her....but she's my mom.

You are braver than me. I'm not telling my mom. She will be dead against it. She would be stressed for months about it. She would relate every ailment I ever get directly to WLS. She would read every article and swear it was the Gods honest truth. She was a nurse and doctors dont know anything. And, she would tell the world. As it is she will be greatly concerned with my weight loss even though she is greatly concerned with my weight gain. lol She has the best intentions but it's better for everyone within earshot not to tell her.

You are braver than me. I'm not telling my mom. She will be dead against it. She would be stressed for months about it. She would relate every ailment I ever get directly to WLS. She would read every article and swear it was the Gods honest truth. She was a nurse and doctors dont know anything. And' date=' she would tell the world. As it is she will be greatly concerned with my weight loss even though she is greatly concerned with my weight gain. lol She has the best intentions but it's better for everyone within earshot not to tell her.[/quote']

My problem is my mom doesn't even know how to use a computer so she has no clue what's going on! Nor can she do any research on her own. All she has is what I'm telling her! I think she will be fine after I get it through to her I will still be able to see a doctor when I get home!

My problem is my mom doesn't even know how to use a computer so she has no clue what's going on! Nor can she do any research on her own. All she has is what I'm telling her! I think she will be fine after I get it through to her I will still be able to see a doctor when I get home!

Maybe you could print out Dr kellys resume, some of the research stats that you have found