Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC September Chat

Awwww pebbles... any time you are feeling this bad you should always come here and post.

I have had ice cream, what's wrong with ice cream? I don't have this humungous bowl covered in whipped cream and caramel like I used to. Now I just have a scoop and I am satisfied. You shouldn't beat yourself up over having ice cream if you want it. Personally, I did not get the band to be on a diet the rest of my life. I got the band to limit my hunger, snacking, over eating, etc. If I went into this thinking I was dieting the rest of my life, I would have never done it.

For example, I had an egg, cheese, ham and jalapeno kolache for Breakfast. I can still only eat about 6oz. before I get full. So I'd rather have the filling than the bread because I like the taste of the egg filling better than the bread not because I can't or am not allowed to eat bread. I hope that makes sense.

Now for your nerve damage. I too had nerve damage and I know how painful it is. The pain is worse than giving birth and it completely takes over your life it is so excruciating. I did not realize how much it takes over until my pain was gone. I had a malignant soft tissue tumor on my back below my right shoulder blade. I had the tumor removed (it was about the size of a small egg, then several months later an oncology surgeon went back in and took 4 layers of tissue from around the site to remove the "positive margins" of cancer from the area. I ended up with a 6 inch wide by 4 inches tall 1 inch deep hole in my back, covered by skin. I didn't know at the time but as it was healing my nerve endings would grow into the scar tissue from the surgery causing excruciating nerve damage pain.

One day, sitting at my desk the pain was so bad that the best way to describe it would be if a grown man was standing over me repeatedly pounding my back as hard as he could with a baseball bat. This level of pain went on for 6 hours and it was getting worse.

I had tried all of the medications too... frankly I think they were "sugar" pills because they all had ZERO affect on my pain. LOL. My FIL is an eye surgeon. I had my husband call him to plead with him to research some way to relieve my pain. I found out that there is a very common procedure that eye surgeons do for people who have nerve damage around their eyes. Its called "Trigger Point injections". I had my FIL do this on my affected areas. I had about 9 nerves that were hurting and it took 2 injections per nerve over several days. The injections are temporary, mine last about 2 months. Within 2 days of starting the injection process I was "pain free". I hadn't been pain free in a year and a half. If you want to more about it... send me a PM and we can talk about it. Mine was free so I have no idea how much a procedure like this would cost.

Pebbles, I hope you get to feeling better and always come here and vent when things get overwhelming....

(((hugs))) and eat some ice cream if thats what you want, you just won't be able to eat the whole tub. =P

Pebbles, here is a big ol' hug! Ok, wait, maybe sort of gentle hug since you're in pain. Girl I feel for you! That whole scenario sounds miserable and you have every right to complain. Try not to be so hard on yourself though. You've gone through a major surgery -- 2 actually -- and it ain't easy! I say (and this may be an unpopular opinion) have that ice cream, but skip the smokes. The cigarettes can actually set you back in healing inhibiting the growth of new cells yada yada...but the ice cream? Have it! A scoop won't kill you. Even 2 scoops every day for a month wouldn't be that bad. Do whatever you can that helps you soothe yourself. Hang in there. Can you watch some DVDs, or are you into Sudoku? Crosswords? Can you ask your mom to buy you a bunch of gossip rag magazines? That stuff helps me when I'm confined to airplanes and whatnot.

Can you go to YouTube.com? There are tons of funny videos. I especially love the news bloopers. I totally laugh out loud at them even though I've seen some of them 10 times.

Keep your spirits up...the rough part will pass!

edited to add: sorry to bring up the smoking. I used to smoke and I KNOW how hard it was to really actually never ever smoke.

Can you watch some DVDs, or are you into Sudoku? Crosswords?

Soduko... I am in love with Soduko just absolutely hooked! I didn't know what the rave was all about until I did a Soduko puzzle on an airplane in the airplane magazine. I'm so hooked, I have a book in my car and take it every where I will be waiting. I also play soduko online. Although, it is not much human interaction. For human interaction you could try yahoo games. You can pick your game of choice.

Thanks Faybie and Pelorojo I appreciate your support. I am trying to make myself feel better but cant stop cryin tonight. I just feel alone this time around with my LB surgery I had so many family members and friends that stopped by daily I never felt alone and with this last surgery no one has stopped by except my parents. My sister has come a couple times to drop stuff off for me but thats it. To me this surgery was much harder and I was in the hospital for 5 days with no visitors besides my parents. I know everyone has their own life but this is a rough time for me and wish I had some more support. The only ones I have is you guys and I hate to whine so I try not to. Well I'm gonna call a doc tomorrow about the nerve blocks and Im gonna look for the Sudoko as well. As far as the Ice Cream its already gone I sent it home with my mom. Thanks alot to you two I appreciate it more than you know.

Pebbles,

You had a football, I had a baseball. The baseball was a surprise, they were going in for the tumor the size of a honeydew in my uteris. I had a hysterectomy in Feb, He left me one ovary and took everything else. The good news is I feel so much better and you will too. The recovery time is long and boring. My little one flipped out when she found out I was having another surgery, thinking this one was going to be like that one. I was lucky and didn't suffer the nerve damage you are going thru, I'm so sorry. I have heard great things about the nerve blocking procedure and I know regular pain meds don't usually work on nerve pain. Let us know what the Dr. says, it never hurts to ask. Feel better and I am sending you positive thoughts.

Pebbles,

I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. Any time you're feeling low, you should definitely come here. We're here to support each other. It's good that the ice cream temptation was removed from your house, although I don't think a scoop would have hurt too much (saying this because I ate some last night...dang PMS!!!) I also get really stir crazy at home. I don't like to be alone either. Do you like to read? Maybe your mom can pick up some books for you. I'm a total bookworm so that helps me when I need to pass some time. Please, come vent to us any time.

Faybie,

Thanks you so much for taking on such a huge project!!! I nominate you ABC member of the month!!!:wacko:

msbrookins - Dr. Sanchez, Monterray, Mexico

Kiana38 - Dr. Oh, Federal Way, WA

kmwwmk -NY

Boo Boo Kitty- Hurley Bariatric Center, Flint, Michigan, Dr. Farhan

foodstampchamp - Dr. Watson, Reno

Drifter - Dr. Montgomery, Everett Washington

lisag77 -

Clarityseeker - 1st Fill 9/11/06 - 1.2 in 4 cc band; minimal restriction; 15 lbs down.

Bandster16

Rlittman - Dr. Spivak, Houston, TX

Anne W

Caroline - Dr. Ashley Vernon, Boston

sillynilly

Meme - Houston, TX

Josette - Dr. Boutt, Michigan - Scheduled for first fill Oct. 3rd. down 25 #'s

sandee 77

Jadedlady1 - Dr. Rumbaut, Mexico

BANDSTER45

Rid - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

NewDay

Diva

unclmdtrsure - Dr. Nirmal Jayaseelan, Dallas TX

Sweet Caroline - Dr. Haag, Western MA

kutia~Dr. Jay, Dallas, TX:) ~1st fill

babyjessica - Dr Richard Carter, Arlington TX

Koala - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

smalldreams - Dr. Carlos Allessandrini, Tijuana

GE Mom - Chicago

diana2798 - Dr. Richard Carter, Arlington, TX

jekbird - Dr. Spivak, Houston, TX

Texas Princess - Dr. James Davidson, Dallas TX

CateyP

PattiU - Atlantic City NJ

Justy - Dr. Rumbaut, Monterray, Mexico - 1.2 cc fill in a 5 cc band on 9/18

Scribby - Dr. Robert Pinnar, Reston, VA

SeaBreeze - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

pebbles

Endocollector - Dr. Jayaseelan, Dallas

bmorgaine - Dr. Joya, PV Mexico

kelliw - Dr. Rumbaut, Mexico

badmadmama - Dr. Myers Chicago

TerryB - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

dovie6523 - Dr Richard Carter, Arlington TX

Allie C

GotGlock21 - Dr. Kelly Frances

Losin' it - Dr. Krishnaraj/Dr. Grossbard - Florida - Down 28 lbs - First fill scheduled for 10/3

Cathy231

Timjgordo17

Micmadd

LapBand - Dr Scott, Rome, GA

ronrwilson

Bug - Dr. Heydari, Crystal Lake IL

wavydaby - Dr Bauman, Concord NC

libra - Dr. Nusbaum Livingston, NJ (going for 2nd fill 9-29, down 19.5 lbs)

Wheezy - Dr Mumford, Mississauga, Ont

LittleBird - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

Diva Girl - Dr. Alan Bradshaw, Asheville, NC

Joliesmom - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

Ladysman - Dr Kwon, Port Jervis,NY

Kirsten117 - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

pbrown - Dr. Robert Pinnar, Reston, VA

Andy Liz - Dr. Rumbaut, Mexico

Kate27 - Dr. Wood in Detroit, MI

natashiki

LynnC - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

TheQueen - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

henderson925 - Langhorne,Pa

Diver

Jewel

starting over - Dr. Robert, Texas

reaganm04

domino032002

Jewels - Dr. Foster, Burlingame, CAlifornia

Denise

Hsquiggle

floridakate

ladydi - Dr Spivak, Houston TX

904cathe

Kendadto3 - Dr. Woodman, Memphis TN

TX_Quilter - Dr. St. Laurent, Cypress TX

Serendipity4124 - Dr. Stanish, Merrillvile IN~Down 32 lbs 1st fill scheduled for 10/02

abbysbug

belle75067

Kiarnold

chrissie

Surby

sabrina

joanne

Trizzy - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

Loriely's DH

mstrish - Dr. Mark Fusco, Melbourne, FL

WhimsicalClay

jillian

jahair - Dr. Spivak, Houston

nochoice - Dr. Singh

jgandg - Dr. Allan Geiss, NY

faybie - Dr. Spivak, Houston TX

Ilovablelisa

Happy2BMe - Dr Warden, Slidell LA

Booda

Lisah25 - Dr. Montgomery,

Everett Waneenagh - Dr. Mumford, Mississauga Canada

mferra - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

PeloRojo - Dr. Ortiz, Tijuana

Pebbles, sorry you're having such a rough time. We're all here for you so post when you need us! As for the ice cream, I agree, i don't think it hurts to have a scoop or two. As long as it's not a hot fudge sunday every night, I think you're safe! :)

Thanks everyone for the support. I am feeling alittle better today I even had my friend come pick me up and take me to the store to get some groceries. I got all the healthy stuff Im supposed to have and then I bought a little thing of Ice Cream a real little one like the Haggen Daaz size lol. So I came home and sat down with my ice cream took 5 bites and was more than satisfied. So I agree it cant be that bad. Hey it made me smile for a minute LOL :hungry: It felt really good to get out of my house and talk to some other people Plus I bumped into some people I havent seen in awhile and got some compliments on my weight loss :clap2: which definitely made me feel better about all this Well again thanks to all of you for your support. I go tomorrow to have my second set of staples removed YAY I cant wait and hope these are the last ones for along time. I also will get my new updated weight loss So I hope that its a good #.

Pebbles,

I'm glad you got your ice cream!! I bought a ben and jerry's 2 weeks ago and I nibble at it every now and again but its nice to have when I'm having a bad day and need a little pick me up! :) I'm also glad that you got out of the house for a bit, I get that way about staying at home too long too.....keep your chin up and congrats on the NSV!!!

Ha Ha. I almost have the complete list updated. You guys are such LOSERS! LOL. It took me 3 days to record everyones information by reading through the posts. A couple of you guys lost weight in those 3 days and I had to update your weights. LMAO. Good Job!

Here it is:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?p=307849#post307849

OK, here's my info: I was banded at Central DuPage Hospital on August 7 by Dr. Spitz. I've lost 25 pounds from my preop visit, 18 from day of surgery. I had my first fill on August 20, 5 cc in a VG band. I think I'm going to need more because I feel absolutely no restriction, just that I stop eating when I've had about 1/4 my previous intake. No nausea, no PB, nothing else. Too good to be true, I think.

In fact, is it possible for the band to simply fall off and disappear? If it weren't for the little cuts on my abdomen, I wouldn't think I'd had surgery....

I'm wondering whether to go in for another fill. I have followed the guidelines closely and have only lost 4 pounds since my 1st fill on 9/11 (initially lost 6, but regained 2) I stopped losing about 6 days after the fill. I don' really have much hunger and have felt an occasional PB after eating chicken too quickly, but I am barely hitting 800 calories a day. I had to stop exercise this week because my knee has worsened. I thought with the stop of exercise particulary the light weight training I was doing that I would drop a few pounds. Didn't happen. I am either eating Protein Shakes with Unjury, chicken or fish and a small amount of vegetables. No breads, no Pasta, no rice, and the only sweets are an occasional peach or grapes.

OK, here's my info: I was banded at Central DuPage Hospital on August 7 by Dr. Spitz. I've lost 25 pounds from my preop visit, 18 from day of surgery. I had my first fill on August 20, 5 cc in a VG band. I think I'm going to need more because I feel absolutely no restriction, just that I stop eating when I've had about 1/4 my previous intake. No nausea, no PB, nothing else. Too good to be true, I think.

In fact, is it possible for the band to simply fall off and disappear? If it weren't for the little cuts on my abdomen, I wouldn't think I'd had surgery....

Rlittman: I know it sucks when people say this because it seems like surely what you doing will work. But maybe youa ren't getting enough calories to lose weight. Your resting metabolic rate is probably at least 1000 calories. Any less than your RMR and you can really slow the metabolism. Just a thought. I know it sucks not to lose!

Ok well again wanted to thank you all for your support. I'm feeling alot better. I found the Sudoko puzzle but couldnt figure out how to do it LOL I did do some old Cryptoquip puzzles from some old newspapers I like those alot. I went and had my staples removed and boy did it hurt, :cry nothing like the LB staples, the staples towards the top of my incision didnt hurt but when he got towards the bottom I felt like I was screaming so bad the other patients would have thought I was dying LOL. Well I'm still pretty sore but came home and took and nice hot shower. I also went to my Dr for the LB today and I lost 11.5lbs So my updated Weight Loss is 48.5lbs :confused: YAY 1.5lbs and I'll be at 50lbs I cant wait.