Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Quick Did You Heal?

I'm possibly scheduling my surgery for July 10th but I have family coming in from out of town on August 6th who want to go hiking and do other strenuous physical activities. My surgeon's front desk staff is telling me I'll be fine, but I don't know. How were you all at 4 weeks post-op? Could you have gone for a multi-mile hike in a national park?

What is your endurance pre-op? Is this something you could have done easily or would you have been huffing and puffing? At 4 weeks post op, you will be fine going for a moderate hike, I would think. Your energy levels will be a bit off, but I would suggest having some orange juice handy or some other quick carbs available.

You wrote 4 months, I am thinking you really meant 4 weeks. Still pre op, also scheduled for July 10th. Sorry I'm no help.

Unless you heal slowly or have complications, you should be ok for some moderate hiking. It was hiking 4 miles a day 4 weeks out. Using my hiking poles really helped. I had a small day pack. I wouldn't have wanted to carry a full pack.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and I could've returned to work by the next Monday. I felt fine after a few days (and Percocet) LOL... And I'm a great big cry baby when I don't feel well but I was good in a very short time. If you don't lift anything very heavy (I don't hike so I don't know what you will carry) you should be just fine after 4 wks.

Thank you all for the input! It sounds like I would be okay after all. But for multiple reasons, I decided not to schedule the surgery til August 14th. So it's a non-issue. Yay! Thanks again so much.

I am a visiting nurse. The most strenous thing i do is carry my iPad and small bag in and out of the car about 4-6 times a day. I really don't want to stay out out of work for more than a week. Any ideas on this?

I have also been wanting to find out from those that have had the sleeve how long were you off from work? I don't want to miss a lot of time from work. I'd like to have my surgery on a Thursday or Friday and be able to return to work on Monday. Is that realistic?

Yes' date=' it is realistic, had my surgery on Wednesday , back to work on Saturday, I am a nurse![/quote']

That's great to hear! I recently took a case manager position so at least I know I won't have to be lifting or rolling anyone. ;-)

That's great to hear! I recently took a case management position so at least I know I won't have to be lifting or rolling anyone! ;-)

Really good to hear! Now lets hope approval is swift. On to the rest of my appointments...

Yes, it is realistic, had my surgery on Wednesday , back to work on Saturday, I am a nurse!

That's great to hear! I recently took a case manager position so at least I know I won't have to be lifting or rolling anyone. ;-)

I just wanted to caution you against planning for a fast return to work without a "back-out" plan.

I had my surgery on May 14, 2012 and was out sight-seeing and shopping 3 days later. I had pre-booked the following week off, just in case I had any complications or was still needing healing time.

I actually felt much more tired the 2nd week! I didn't take naps (though I should have) as I was convinced that I needed to "condition" myself for my return to work the next week. And I work in an office, mostly at my desk all day!

There were several difficult aspects the first few weeks back to work:

1. Getting ready in the morning

It took me MUCH longer than I was used to to get ready. Showering wiped my energy out, and I invariably had to lay down for a good 10-15 min afterwards to regain my strength to get dressed and out the door.

2. Learning how to "fit in" my liquids and planning for lunch

I'm usually a fast drinker/eater. That doesn't work when you're newly sleeved! I normally grabbed my Breakfast "on the go" when getting ready for work, and wolfed it down in the car. Not after I was sleeved! I had to take tiny sips (too much in a sip or too many sips in a row and it was serious pain!), and just figuring out how to properly mix my Protein shakes in the morning was taking up valuable time!

Also, I must now pack my lunch! In order to keep everything fresh (and best suit my tastes/mood for the day), I now pack my lunch in the morning. This is also new for me! I was eating from our little cafeteria or going out to eat every day. Expensive and fattening, but so very convenient! Now I had to make sure I had the right ingredients at home; the right (clean!) containers; a cooler bag; ice packs, etc. Phew! So much change!

3. Optimizing my "choices"

I usually just grab a drink (pop!) when thirsty. Well our little cafeteria has a limited choices for sugar-free drinks that are not carbonated. You can only drink so much "diet iced tea" or "G2 Gatorade" before you start to go mental (especially when you're on full liquids for a couple of weeks post-op). So I had to make sure I had other options with me. Either Crystal Light powder sticks, Mio, etc. And of course if you're not lucky enough to have a Water cooler around your work, you need cold Water too! Again, more planning!

I'm not trying to scare you.....I just want you to have a realistic idea of what you'll be dealing with post-op as it relates to going back to work. And these are only a FEW of the issues. Don't get me started on bathroom visits (I had "intestinal issues" for a few weeks post-op!); explaining your lack of eating to your colleagues while maintaining your privacy; acid reflux, burping, nausea, fatigue, etc.

And finally, of course, a very high percentage of us fly through the surgery and recovery without any complications (I'm one of them...except for the "intestinal issues" and some sleep disturbances). But there is a small percentage of patients who do have complications that can vary in degree. Please do have a contingency plan for your return-to-work if your recovery is less than optimal.

Good luck and happy surgery! Making room for you on the loser's bench..............

Thank you Webchickadee for the warning. Will definitely heed.

Does anyone find that taking B12 supplements helps increase energy levels post-surgery?