Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Andrew Lessman - Vitamin Help!

I am hoping someone can help answer this. I will be sleeved on July 16th and know it is important we take out Vitamins. I really like these Vitamins from Andrew Lessman they are all capsules. Once we are sleeved are we able to break down the capsules in the our stomach since we won't have stomach acid? Can you swallow pills right after surgery?

My nutritionist at the office is NUTS she doesn't provide any info but instead talks about herself her dogs and her new boyfriend. So any info you can all provide I would be very grateful!!

Thanks,

Amy

Your ongoing Vitamins after surgery should be chewable. I'm sure your current vitamins are lovely, and maybe you can break the capsules open and mix them with something, but I would highly recommend researching the chewable vitamins that are created specifically for Sleevers.

I had to crush pills for the first 3 weeks and then nothing bigger than a pencil eraser then on to ensure nothing gets stuck. I talked to my doctor just 2 weeks ago asking if I could take Vitamins that are not chewable or Gummy and she said if they were small yes, but that my small stomach will not break down the pill as much as before so you loose some of the effectiveness. For that reason they prefer you do chewable or gummy. Most pill Vitamins I have seen are way too big for our new stomachs to break down.

Maybe ask you surgeon next time you see him/her about it since your nutritionist is being flaky.

I could take capsules from day 1. As a matter of fact, my acid reducer is a large capsule. You will be able to swallow capsules just fine, they will dissolve just like they are supposed to. Everyone is different so you should ask your surgeon if the Vitamin capsules are still okay to use. You dont HAVE to do chewables or liquids or crush pills unless your Dr. says you do. Mine didnt, he said capsules are fine.

Thanks for your responses. I will talk with my doctor but I'd really like to continue with the capsules. I will look more into it.

Amy :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Omeprazole (acid reducer) was the only capsule-pill my doctor "allowed" me to take normally with sips of Water for the first three weeks. He and his NUT instructed me to use chewable vitamins for the first month simply because you don't have the stomach acid to break them down for proper absorption into the body. The chewables allow it to be broken down my your saliva, and then passed into the system through capillaries in your mouth. The membrane under your tongue is really great for this. After the first month, I started taking pill-form Vitamins and Calcium with food. The chewables can be sickly sweet, and can add to your carb count (i.e. gummies).

I orders some from supplement warehouse. They are by twinlab baristric support chewable multi berry flavor. I also got one for Calcium. I really like them and they are very easy to chew and swallow! I also order all my Protein Shakes from there, they have good prices. The shakes that is for bariatric patients is gross!! Really thick and not great tasting so I stick with muscle milk lite and isopure! Good luck

Omeprazole (acid reducer) was the only capsule-pill my doctor "allowed" me to take normally with sips of Water for the first three weeks. He and his NUT instructed me to use chewable Vitamins for the first month simply because you don't have the stomach acid to break them down for proper absorption into the body. The chewables allow it to be broken down my your saliva, and then passed into the system through capillaries in your mouth. The membrane under your tongue is really great for this. After the first month, I started taking pill-form Vitamins and Calcium with food. The chewables can be sickly sweet, and can add to your carb count (i.e. gummies).

Does out stomach start producing acid at some point? So it sounds like after a month capusles / tablets can be taken is what your doctor said?

You all have been so very helpful!

Amy

Does out stomach start producing acid at some point? So it sounds like after a month capusles / tablets can be taken is what your doctor said?

You all have been so very helpful!

Amy

I meant "Our" ... lol

I'm not a true expert, but from what I understand we want to limit the acid production for the first 4-6 weeks after surgery to help the stomach while it is in healing mode. Some people produce more acid than others and have to be on the acid reducer for longer. Too much acid can cause problems like ulcers, heartburn, esophageal spasms, over the long run. Too much can also be confused for hunger right after surgery. However, most Vitamins are Water or fat soluble meaning that either have to be taken with Water or juice or some form of fat (you can Google which ones are which). Otherwise the Vitamins can literally go right through your system without being absorbed into the bloodstream. The other part of the equation is if you have enough stomach acid to break down the pill for absorption, or again just pass right through. So during the time that you're on an acid reducer, chances are the pill-form vitamins won't even "work" and you'll just pass them down the toilet. That's why they prefer chewable, sub-lingual, liquid, etc. in the beginning. It's also why we have to take "double the dose" since our smaller stomachs most likely do not absorb the majority of the vitamins we put down at any one time.

Granted, this is just what's been explained by my surgeon, NUT and two doctors in the family. Even they tell me there is conflicting studies here and there that say any Vitamin is a waste of money and 80% passes through your system. Most advocate getting as many nutrients as possible through a balanced diet, although food needs acid to break down as well. I just try to chew my food as well as possible since the enzymes in your saliva can aid in your digestion when perhaps your stomach isn't making enough acid. My dad's doctor told him that not chewing food enough before swallowing puts too much of the "breakdown process" on your stomach, sometimes causing acid overproduction -- which is why he's had a hard time with heartburn and indigestion.