Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

O U C H... Sympathy please!

I was fortunate enough to finally talk to a band surgeon over the phone today. He patiently listened and questioned my entire infected history. He told me I did the right thing by going to Urgent Care and said they treated me exactly how I'd have been treated if I went to an actual band surgeon, which was to lance, extract, drain, then pack the wound along with aggressive antibiotics (I'm on 4 Keflex for 2 days then 2 per day for a week.) He heard the anxiety in my voice and calmed me down, and then was very honest that my wound may heal but he warned me that some people struggle 2-3 months before the incision finally heals completely. Not that it's going to happen, but he said even if it heals, I shouldn't be alarm if it starts to drain again in a week. A small percentage of us might have to take several rounds of antibiotics before we heal, but he gave me back my band confidence.

I also heard that my doctor is out of town. While that's no excuse for not checking his office messages for emergencies, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he calls me tomorrow. If and when we talk, I'm going to tell him about my horrible experience with his staff. I certainly hope he's just as shocked as the rest of us over their lack of care and concern. They are very friendly girls, but yes, extremely disorganized and unprofessional. We just had major surgery, yet they can't return our calls? And the last thing Dr. Carmen says every single time we talk is "we'll be in touch." No, they never called after my surgery to check on me. I'm sad for Dr. Lopez, since this all reflects on him. He's a wonderful man who came highly recommended and I think it would hurt him tremendously to hear his name being tarnished. Let's hope he puts his foot down and corrects these problems soon.

Hi Lisa,

It sounds like your wound is doing well and I am sure you will sail through this with flying colors. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare the bejebers out of you, I know you are doing everything you can to get care and I thought maybe the hospital close to you would have someone on call for bands as the hospital I work at does. I just got done talking to the surgeon who did my band and he said that you did the right thing by getting the care where you could and to just make sure you go and see your doc tomorrow. It does not sound like you have an abdominal infection, they can be silent at first but usually you will run a fever, have pretty severe abdominal pain, nausea, and feel very lethargic and again it doesn't sound like you have any of those symptoms and I am sure everything is OK!!! Again, I didn't want to scare you but I also wanted to make sure you were being taken care. A lot of times anymore good medical care is truly up to the patient and how hard they push for it. I'm sorry this has been such an ordeal. Like Kathy said it just isn't right that you can't get a hold of someone that knows about you and your band. I am sure all will be well and you will soon be your perky self.:D

Sorry again and Take Care,

Kathy

Hi Again,

I had been working on my post for some time and didn't see yours until I had posted mine. Thats great that you finally got through to someone and your mind can be put at ease. I basically heard the same thing from my doc. My concern was genuine, though I fear I scared you more than I meant to. :D I'm glad to hear you didn't stop until you got the answers you needed.

Take Care,

Kathy

Hey Lisa -

I met Anne Marie today at our bandster support group. I told her about you and the problems you've been having getting in touch with Dr. Lopez. She took several items down to talk to him about - another Lopez patient was there who is having problems, and can't get them to return her calls.

Anne Marie volunteered to help get hold of Dr. Lopez for you, if you want to contact her. I think she can be reached through http://www.belighter.com/

She has a personal interest in Dr. Lopez's follow-up or lack thereof, as he is one of the surgeons she refers patients to. I got the distinct impression that this is going to be a major topic between them when she meets with him tomorrow.

Hope you're feeling better, girl!

Leave it up to me to stir up some shit.. and now I'm stirring it up in another country! Excuse my language but I earned a few cuss words this week!

Kathy, you didn't scare me. I need all the info I can get, and that's why I posted here. I can't wait to get past this infection issue because I've been eating too much for 3 days straight. I realize that's supposed to be okay, since this is a long journey, but now I'm uncomfortable and can add mild depression to my list of ailments. I'm not allowed to get a fill till I'm healed. I don't mind plateaus or gaining a couple pounds, but I know how bad I'll take it if I gain back 20 pounds after how hard I worked at taking it off. Plus the antibiotics make me feel queazy, so I'm feeling droopy all around. I need to get past the infection and regain my energy. I layed around longer with this episode than I did after having the actual surgery.

I hope tomorrow is the last time my wound needs to be packed because it hurts like hell when the doc mashes the port area to make sure all the liquid is out.

Good to hear from all you guys. Michelle, thanks for all the numbers & suggestions. Kathy, thanks for asking your doc on my behalf, and Donali, thanks for telling Ann Marie. I swear, I'll never refer anyone to Dr. Lopez again. Like I said earlier, I certainly hope he isn't aware of these issues, because I've lost complete faith in his office. Tomorrow marks one entire week of Dr. Carmen ignoring my infected pictures. You guys all saw those pics - it didn't take a rocket scientist to conclude something was wrong.

I hope my bad experience doesn't change anyone's mind about getting banded. I should have warned you guys that I have a black cloud. Even my husband knows I'm always the one that ends up in these predicaments.

Guest barbaraw

hi im new to this group and im not getting banded till6/25 but ive been reading the postings and im impressed with your positive attitude.What a bummer to have that infection but how nasty of the Dr. not to answer your calls right away.I think you should have a local dr. in case of an emergency get him all your records too so he'll know all about you.Im so impressed with all the people in this group.Everyone is really there for each other.I have a loving husband and good friends but no one understands my life long struggke with my weight.I am estranged from my original family(mom, dad ,sis,bro)My mother told me i was fat and ugly and no one would marry me.She and my dad said they were ashamed to walk on the street with me cause i was fat.Luckily I met my husband at 17 and a few years of unconditional love gave me the courage to get rid of those who dont love me.But the weight struggle always comes back and i imagine that when they put in the band they will remove the insults and pain i suffered at the hands of those who were supposed to love me.After ten years of therapy and 3 weight losses each one of 65 to 85 pounds i have stopped blaming myself for being fat.I need help and the band will do that.

Anyways, good luck with the infection im sure the antibiotics will do the trick and your lucky to be surrounded by those who love you including the dogs

Lisa, how are you feeling today? Please take it easy. Good luck in getting an appt. to see a local band doctor! Please don't get depressed if you're temporaily eating more than you should. You've lost a lot of weight already! They say everything lost before your first fill is a plus. Take care of yourself!

You've found an excellent board for support, understanding, and encouragement. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Hi Lisa,

Definition of a black cloud: For a sufficiently thick cloud (that has sufficient optical thickness) a bunch of the light is scattered back in the general direction from which it came as well as sideways and forwards, to there's just not as much light getting "through" the cloud to the ground. Up in the sky, thin clouds (like cirrus clouds) usually look white, but not thick clouds. The thicker ones look dark, but they are really just darker than the sky. It is the contrast that makes them look "black".

We, along with all your friends and family will hopefully be the light getting "through" the cloud your in right now and keep the one constantly wavering above your head white and fluffy. Just an attempt at a little humor. Hope your feeling a lot better today.

Take Care,

Kathy

Kathy, that's a beautiful analogy!

Lisa, Girl - hope you're feeling better, and remember, as bad as it is at the moment, it IS only temporary. I know it doesn't feel temporary, but it is.

Barbara, my heart goes out to you. You must be a truly amazing person to overcome your childhood and be able to accept love the way you have. :D

Let's hope this Monday is the start of a good week for us all! :(

awww delarla!!! (hugs) i hope your feeling better (a little anyway) i HATE the way infections make you feel. i am glad you had your pups there by your side. glad you went to the urgent care to get it all defunked. you'll be back to normal in no time!

has your dr called yet?

michelle

Had to close my office door because I'm sitting at my desk crying. I'm so frustrated and emotionally drained that I shouldn't even be here. I just got back from Day 3 of Urgent Care to have my wound re-packed. Only they couldn't repack it because part of the tube is now protruding out of the open wound. The doc tried to push it back in, but it popped right back out. I've been on the phone for 20 minutes trying all the numbers I have. I even tried Ann Marie, but there's a message that the office is closed till Wednesday for an annual seminar. Nora's number has a message that the number is no longer in existence. Carmen's sounds like she tried to answer a couple times. I can't get through to Mexico - all I get are recordings.

I'm sitting at work with bandages covering up the open wound that has tubing popping out. I don't recall ever feeling this depressed before. Sorry, wish I could say I'm doing better but now I realize I need port surgery ASAP, only nobody will call me.

Dr. Carmen just semi-answered with a horrible connection, but I heard her say my name and that I have an emergency. She asked for my number but I don't know if she heard me. But the office has all my numbers. I told her I had an emergency for my doctor. Time 9:11. Let's see how she handles this one.

I just called the local doctor, Francis Teng. Now one of my options has been eliminated because he won't even do any port related surgery. The only thing he'll do for Mexican patients is fills.

Donali, if Mexico calls, I may see you this weekend afterall. How safe can it be to walk around with tubing sticking out? Damn!

Hi Delarla

I was reading this painful tread yesterday and put in a call to AnnMarie and was waiting for a return call from her all day. It was ironic that others where doing the same thing. She and her Husband Eric are both banded and I believe they have a place in Vegas and they can give fills also. So when or if you get a hold of her ask about that. I am truly sorry that your going through this pain and frustration.