Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

O U C H... Sympathy please!

She was very specific for me to use those words and to make sure his entire staff didn't move around during the procedure. Do they normally ChaCha once we're under? Let's all hurl on 3: one, two, threeeee..............

When Penni told me about her situation and that her surgeon was the same as Lisa's... RED flags went up immediately. I told Penni to come here and check out what was going on with Lisa because they seemed to be having a very similar problem. I do not think either of you should have to pay for these revisions... and something doesn't feel right about this situation at all to me. Lisa... I am also concerned about your waiting until this weekend with that tube protruding from your incision. I feel that is a direct line for bacteria to enter the abdominal cavity and I don't like it one bit... not one bit I say!!!!! It bothers me greatly that Dr. Lopez is also willing to wait until Saturday... did he see those pictures??????

I am also worried of course in regards to if this is a common complication... or if it is just common for Dr. Lopez or any specific surgeon. Actually... it is scaring the BAJESUS out of me. If anyone is able to obtain statistics about this... I would be eternally in your debt!

Penni... I think you emailed me instead of Lisa... I got an email from you and it seemed to be directed at Lisa AKA DeLarla ???

Worried in Wisconsin...

Darcy

Hey, give me my e-mail! I've checked all my e-mail accounts for Penni's e-mail, give it back I say, give it back!

Don't worry, this kinda thing can happen to any patient. I'm sitting here summarizing medical records for one of our lawsuits. This woman had back surgery and needed hardware implanted. She had a leaking, infected wound also because it's related to any kind of implant, not just the band. It's just something that happens sometimes.

Maybe there are higher stats in Mexico - that I can't answer. But be calm; hell, if I have to be calm then you better be!

I'm not thrilled about waiting, but my Urgent Care doctor told me it's not an emergency as long as I take care of it this weekend. I agree, I think it should be done pronto, but I spoke with my Urgent Care doc, Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Lopez, and Dr. Kuri. None of them freaked out like it was an emergency. They all told me to calm down. I think if I had a fever they'd be more concerned.

Sent you a PM Miss Lisa... I included Penni's email that I am pretty sure was supposed to go to you. (o:

I'll stay calm... for a couple of minutes...

Darcy

PM...not be confused with BM... cause that would be GROSS Darcy....:D

Gross Darcy, you just made me rip the bandage tape away from my furry belly when it jiggled from laughing. Thanks for the PM, and thanks for not sending me a BM. Ever.

You need to add "Gross Darcy" under your Nightingale name. I just learned how to do that today, so mine will change a thousand times before I come up with a good one.

Boy, Lisa.... Now I'm worried about something...

If you get all fixed up, and finally on a smooth sailing track, who's going to keep lapbandtalk alive?!?!

I have never seen the board this busy, and it's all so darned interesting. And there are pictures, and purple bras, and slutty red hand gloves...

:(

You know I'm a true friend when I say I hope you're better soon, because I have an addictive personality disorder, and the board is filling that at the moment... lol :(:D

OK to answer all your questions. I was banded in April 6, 2004 at Sanoviv Medical Institute and I am so NOT worried about the sterility of the procedure in regards to their techniques. I watched them like a hawk prior to being put out. Being a nurse I watched them with everything and asked all kinds of questions and was satisfied they were up to speed.

Sanoviv is a GREAT facility and really prides itself on a healthy environment including the Water which I drank while I was there and did not get sick at all. You guys should check it out www.sanoviv.com.

I am going to talk to Dr. Lopez at great length regarding his after care and how it can be improved. I would be very interested in being a U.S. liasion for his office and all of us in the states. This is what I will discuss with him while I am there.

As far as how common this is. I agree that it should not be that common. But everyone must understand this is still a relatively new procedure and for this banding to be fool proof is unrealistic at this point. I believe it is in the make up of the port itself that is causing all the problems. Either it is the plastique, an adhesive, or what the filter is made out of that is causing the problems. INAMED is supposed to be the BEST band out there. SO something is wrong with the design or make up for all the rejection numbers. I plan on doing an extensive research on this when I return. I also plan on keeping the port that is taken out of me to use as an example so I can have it looked at to see what is wrong with it. That is if they will give it back to me. LOL!!!

The reason all of my incisions leaked was because they were not stitched up but glued together. I was not told they would be glued and I am very allergic to adhesive. So needless to say I was a hurting and itching momma after the surgery. That could have been my cause for the leakage. But it was still pretty unsettling to see all 5 incisions leaking and with bandages on them twice a day (more adhesive by the way). SIGH!! It was a good thing I had some heavy duty steroid cream I could apply to keep the skin break down under control. It is things like this that need to be addressed and discussed during after care. And it is NOT.

Just so many things could be done that would make the after care easier and less stressful.

Lisa the email I sent to Darcy was meant for you. I just hit the wrong button. Thanks Darcy for forwarding the email.

I get to the clinic on June 17th at 11am. My surgery is at 1pm according to Nora. We will see. Ask for me when you get there Lisa. I would love to meet you. By the way, where are those pics I keep hearing about?

Penni -

I think it would be a great idea for you (SOMEONE!!!!) to be the U.S. liason for Dr. Lopez's office. I think Anne Marie was going to nominate Diane, a gal in our San Diego group, who also had surgery with him and just started working with the BeLighter group. Diane already has a very close working relationship with Dr. Lopez, and speaks some Spanish as well, so that might be a good solution.

I don't know if Dr. Lopez will agree, or if that has all been worked out, but I know it is a hot topic with the conference in town.

Hopefully things will get ironed out, and we can all have a little more peace of mind about what happens when there are complications after surgery, regardless of their severity.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!!!

:D

Hi Lisa,

It's great that your spirits are up again. I'm glad to hear all is going to be taken care of. Hopefully Lopez will learn something with all of this. I think it's a good decision to change physicians, I would be a little concerned to let him touch me again for fear he won't be there again should you need him. Take care and good luck. Here's hoping the infection is all gone and they can just sew you up!!!

Kathy

Penni, I've heard people leak with real stitches, also. My friend had the biggest boobs in the world at an H cup (biggest in my world anyway.) She just had 4 pounds removed from each breast, and her incisions were big leakers with regular stitches.

People have explained the leaking to me, but I'm not right-brained enough to relay it to you. Something having to do with a hollow cavity left inside, and the serum collects but can't make blood, so it leaks out. That's a really bad explanation, but it's the best I can do.

I don't blame Lopez for my infection. However, I have to put my foot down because it's his fault that I've suffered so long. He's been made aware of his staff issues in the past, yet he hasn't resolved them. It's his fault for allowing his girls to mistreat me. Makes me think they get paid on commission so all that matters is getting people in the door.

Lisa: I hear what you are saying. I just dealt with it for a week and I got extremely pissed off myself. It is ridiculous what we have to go through to get in touch with someone. It shouldn't be that difficult.

I just hope they do find someone to be the liason. They truly need someone. I will still offer my services and if they are rejected then hey no harm done.

Yeah, sure Donali, like you'll ever be able to shut me up. I'm a problem solver by heart, but by nature I'm a problem maker! The fun has only just begun!