Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so discouraged right now. Had VSG May 8, lost 20 lbs in the first 3-4 weeks, then stalled since. I've had 3 periods in those 6 weeks, even though I had novasure to remove endometrial lining in January. Saw the NUT last week and she told me that my weight loss was too low (of course, it was lovely to hear this after she told me how she'd never been able to gain weight til she was 40 which means she totally doesn't understand where I'm coming from.)

I was so encouraged and excited by the weight loss in the first month. I know that I did a TON of exercising right after surgery, walking around shopping with my mom. I'm not exercising 60min/day 6x/week like my NUT wants, but I'm a single mom of 3 working full time and doing what I can - which is walking during lunch at work and doing the elliptical at home.

I started taking metformin this last week in the hopes of jump-starting something but it's giving me headaches and a hypoglycemic feelings. Need to find my glucometer to check blood sugar when I feel that way.

So I've increased activity, increased Water, and no weight loss. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone through this?

5'9", Started at 250, 37.2 BMI

Now at 230, 34.1 BMI -- lost 1" bicep. 1.5" chest, 3" hip, 4" thigh, 1" calf

I'm sorry to hear this I'm a PCOS patient also everybody is different I was sleeved on 01-23-12 and lost so far 84lbs and my nut was surprised because she said that pcos patients are typically slow losers my advice to you is drink Water protien first in every meal try to eat every 2 hours I think ur doing great and don't be discourage the pounds are going to fall off but Just will be slow. Ohh ur bmi is maybe in the low side don't worry or stress

I went through the same thing. Almost same stats as you. I was on a 3 1/2 week stall. I tried everything. More exercise. More Water. More calories. Finally... It moved. And like 8 pounds in a week. My stall started at week 4 and ended at 7. I am 9 weeks now. From 230 to 219. Just keep Proteins first. Walk walk walk. Up your water some. Maybe up your calories a bit (I was only getting like 350-450, now at 600-700) It will move. Just give it time. Good luck.

That first stall is a KILLER, isn't it? It can undermine your determination so badly! Just make sure you meet your Protein and Water goals and keep the faith. Unless you're dumping a ton of empty calories into your body, you will lose weight. It's great that you are working out, but exercise can cause a stall when you first start all by itself. I don't know the reasons behind it, but I'm proof that it can happen that way.

BTW, your nut sounds like a NUT job to me. 60 minutes 6 days a week is a great goal to reach, but it's not practical for most people, and it's not where you want to start with exercise. I think walking during lunch at work and doing the elliptical at home is a great start! I literally started with 5 minutes at a time on the treadmill! Now I do at least 30 minutes of cardio per day, plus weights 3 times a week. I've lost over 100 pounds with my routine and I have a lot more free time than many. I don't have 3 small children at home like you do, nor do I have a traditional 40 hour a week job because I'm self-employed.

Listen to your nut, to a point. You have to find a routine that works with your lifestyle, not the idealized version of life your nut has dreamed up for you. :)

Good luck! don't let your stall get you down. BTW, have you taken your measurements yet? If not, NOW is a good time to do that and keep them for future reference. I lose inches during stalls, and during stalls is where I notice that my clothes are getting bigger, too. :)

Thank you all for the support. It helps to know that others know where I'm coming from and have been through it. Im hoping I've broken the stall.... Down 2 lbs after staying the same for so long. I've also realized that in all the things I've done to lose weight my body has stopped at 20 lbs, so this is just my normal set point but I have a better and more sustainable tool now. Inches are coming off and clothes are loose so things are still happening!! Thank you for the pep talks!

I've not excersiced at all but I have a 3 week stall..... finally I went back to basics Protein and Water and vitamins..... that started the weight loss again....... almost to 200 soon...... next week maybe.

I have found that I need a different mindset post-op. I need to think in excess - excess Water, exercise and sleep. I also need to consume at least 1,000 calories (no more than 1,200) of mostly Protein a day.

If I get enough sleep, hydration, and calories - I lose weight. If I miss any of these, I do not. If I exercise more, than I lose more as long as I met my sleep, hydration, and calories.

I also do not worry about the week before my period when it comes to the scale - I retain too much Water. I just try to add more hydration during this time period.

I got wls for assistance with conception due to PCOS. So, I am very motivated after 3 years of failed conception.

I have been taken off of my pre-diabetic meds and have recently started supplements of L-Arginine, CoQ-10, and NAC to assist with PCOS symptoms.

I do get discouraged when the scale "stalls" but I keep at it and so far I have lost 75 pounds in 4.5 months post-op. The surgeon was recommending a loss of 120 pounds over the year - so I am over halfway there in less than half the time. I have increased my goal loss to 150 pounds, but I will not put extra stress on me (stress can also cause weight loss to slow).

Good luck and I am glad the scaled moved a few pounds, before you know it, it will be moving faster than you ever thought.

I have found that I need a different mindset post-op. I need to think in excess - excess Water, exercise and sleep. I also need to consume at least 1,000 calories (no more than 1,200) of mostly Protein a day.

If I get enough sleep, hydration, and calories - I lose weight. If I miss any of these, I do not. If I exercise more, than I lose more as long as I met my sleep, hydration, and calories.

I also do not worry about the week before my period when it comes to the scale - I retain too much Water. I just try to add more hydration during this time period.

I got wls for assistance with conception due to PCOS. So, I am very motivated after 3 years of failed conception.

I have been taken off of my pre-diabetic meds and have recently started supplements of L-Arginine, CoQ-10, and NAC to assist with PCOS symptoms.

I do get discouraged when the scale "stalls" but I keep at it and so far I have lost 75 pounds in 4.5 months post-op. The surgeon was recommending a loss of 120 pounds over the year - so I am over halfway there in less than half the time. I have increased my goal loss to 150 pounds, but I will not put extra stress on me (stress can also cause weight loss to slow).

Good luck and I am glad the scaled moved a few pounds, before you know it, it will be moving faster than you ever thought.

Wow, that a beyond fantastic loss! Especially with pcos! If you don't mind my asking, are you a virgin sleever? I will be a band to sleeve conversion, and from what I'm reading I am expecting losses that are no quicker than methods like Weight Watchers (which I can do, but eventually run out of steam with it.....). Wanted fast loss is something I'm going to have to get past because it probably won't pan out that way. What's the old saying....wish in one hand s*** in the other and see which one fills up faster? Hahaha

Good luck on TTC and I wish you a healthy happy pregnancy!

Hey startingover, have you hit the other side of that stall yet? Hope it's finally caved in and given you some pounds =)

Thanks Izuri - stall finally broke after 3-1/2 weeks and I'm down 10 more pounds. Dreading my followup with the surgeon on aug 6 because I'm only down 30lbs in 12 weeks ... But without considering how the NUT and dr will judge me, this is more weight than I've lost in probably 10 yrs. I'm a slow loser, but if I can keep losing I'll be happy :)