Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This makes me so sad for you. At least it's nice to know that there are still some copassionate people out there.

I'm scheduled for surgery in August, and I'm stressing about the flight. I borrowed money from people to pay for an extra seat because I know I won't fit, and I didn't want to risk being forced to buy a ticket they day of, or not be allowed on the plane. I'm not looking forward to the stares or having to deal with asking for an extender. *sigh* But, we must remember the outcome....this nightmare will be over soon.

Best wishes to you *hugs*

This makes me so sad for you. At least it's nice to know that there are still some copassionate people out there.

I'm scheduled for surgery in August, and I'm stressing about the flight. I borrowed money from people to pay for an extra seat because I know I won't fit, and I didn't want to risk being forced to buy a ticket they day of, or not be allowed on the plane. I'm not looking forward to the stares or having to deal with asking for an extender. *sigh* But, we must remember the outcome....this nightmare will be over soon.

Best wishes to you *hugs*

I am not sure that the moderators will allow this, but I would like to give a shout out to Delta. Although the flight attendant did forget to bring me an extender, they were all very nice about the whole thing. Their policy is that they will work with all passengers to transport them comfortably. You will not be asked to purchase an extra seat. If you require more room than one seat, they will re-seat you if possible, or move you to another flight where your needs can be accommodated. The lady I talked to on the phone before my flight was able to tell me that there were a lot of empty seats on the plane, so there should be no problem with my needing extra space. At least I knew that I would not be stranded or have to cough up money for another seat--just deal with the embarrassment. I also checked about seat belt extenders online and found out that you can buy them on ebay and several other sites for anywhere from $30 and up. Boy o boy do I wish I would have though about that before the flight. Having my own seat belt extender would have made this so much easier.

I am sorry to hear about your plane experience. That is one of the many reasons I decided to undertake WLS, Weight Loss Surgery. Plane travel for me is further complicated by the fact that I am 6'5 - 6'6. Thus, planes have never been comfortable for me. But, now that I have put on the extra weight..... down right terrifying. I imagine the people looking at me as I walk the procession of shame down the middle isle. Each one of them in turn hoping I am not sitting next to them. Thus far, I have found that most people are pretty pleasant. Huge props to a gay, I hope that is the politically correct term now days, dude who sat next to me on a flight to San Fran a while back. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met. Put the arm rest up and chatted and was so pleasant. No props for the snobby lady on the flight to L.A. who just gave me dirty looks as I leaned into the isle as much as possible.

I do not have a surgery date yet but, I hope to get one soon. I am trying to make as many changes now as I can. I have been seeing a psychiatrist, whom I lovingly call my head shrinker. He actually gave me a script for Xanax when I fly because I get so nervous about it that it is unhealthy.

Here’s to a better life. May I achieve control over my eating and maintain it for the rest of my life.

Southwest are the smallest seats I've experienced. I hate having to cross my arms and legs to avoid contact with the other passenger sitting next to me. I have sat next to all types. The worst was on my way to Chicago with Hispanic couple sitting next to me. At the end of the flight, They began bad mouthing me, making fun of me, and insulting me in Spanish (they were not aware that I am Hispanic myself and fluent in Spanish). I simply kept quiet and got off the flight. I did not divulge my hand. What I had just learned is that all of the deep dark evils of the world that we try to make pretend do not exist, actually do.