Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been under anaesthetic approx 5 times. It's just like having a sleep. What is your fear of? You will wake up? Or you won't wake up?

I'm more frightened of being put to sleep, not so much waking up in the middle of things (nearly impossible), and I'm just about 100% sure I'll wake up at the end of things--although when you consider major surgery like this, it's something you think about in passing.

I think it's the "losing control" part of it. I've never been given anything stronger than a local anaesthetic, really.

When I went under I wasn't even aware that the gas had been turned on. They placed the mask over my nose, then lights out..... I can say I learned one thing, when I came back out I was combative (they said that's not really uncommon) fortunately the surgical team has seen pretty much every possible reaction when comming out so they were prepared. Though I know now what to advise the anestioligist of if I ever get put under again.

Oh wow--yeah, I can't imagine myself becoming combative! Sounds kind of scary--I'm glad that you weren't too upset over the experience (or weren't aware of it). I'm pretty scared of gas--even more so than an IV, because needle pokes I can deal with but the idea of inhaling a gas that will put me to sleep would have me holding my breath! If they use gas, I sure as heck don't tell me when they're turning it on or I'd be so afraid!

Most surgeons give a relaxing agent before you go in... Ask and make sure, you won't care if the janitor wheels u into the OR

They drug you before surgery. I don't remember much, except being rolled down the hall and they pumped up a mattress to transfer me to the surgery table. I don't even remember a mask. I woke up to some lady yelling at me for sleeping too long and some an screaming in pain. For me, if you put on some Bob Marley, I would have thought I was back in my college days.

:lol: @ Bob Marley, and being back in your college days! That made me laugh, and I needed a good laugh! I don't think that nurses should yell at patients who are waking up from anaesthesia! That's very rude!

Most surgeons give a relaxing agent before you go in... Ask and make sure, you won't care if the janitor wheels u into the OR

I would feel so much better if I were sure I could get something like that to relax me!

I was put under about 5 hours ago for my endoscopy and it was no problem whatsoever. The anesthesiologist asked me a few questions, put the knock out juice in my IV and I was out within seconds. Woke up about 45 minutes later in recovery.

Downside? Slight headache. Upside? Quick, easy, painless (no new stick or anything like that) and had some of the best dreams I have had in a LONG time! :D

You'll be fine!

I never made it past the initial agent they injected into my hand. I was out like a lightbulb. :) (and I'm a big dude - 6'3", 425# at surgery)

It was my first experience with it too. No problems, and I thought the experience would be a little scary. I just remember getting sleepy - but in a good way - kind of like after going swimming in the sunlight and getting out and sitting by the AC. I just dozed off.

It was a good way to get a nap in while the doctor did all the work!

That sounds absolutely marvelous! Hey, if it feels like swimming in sunshine then I've got nothing to worry about, right? Right? :unsure: No, really, that sounds like it wasn't scary at all for you, and I'm glad! I hope I have an experience like that. All us pre-VSG peeps will be hurtin' after the operation is over and some of us will have a longer recovery than others, it would be great to have one less thing to obsess over!

I was put under about 5 hours ago for my endoscopy and it was no problem whatsoever. The anesthesiologist asked me a few questions, put the knock out juice in my IV and I was out within seconds. Woke up about 45 minutes later in recovery.

Downside? Slight headache. Upside? Quick, easy, painless (no new stick or anything like that) and had some of the best dreams I have had in a LONG time! :D

You'll be fine!

Thanks a lot Dadto2, even if you didn't have it in your username, I can tell you're used to reassuring people in a fatherly way! That really helped--it's always good to hear the cons right along with the pros. I look forward to having beautiful dreams too--I think that would be an excellent side effect, since I have pretty vivid dreams anyway and almost always remember them!

I think Anesthesia is least of my fears....my top fears are: 1. Catheter. 2. Lead, 3. Unable to operate cause of liver size, 4. Lovenol injections for blood clots daily for 2 weeks post op.

I think Anesthesia is least of my fears....my top fears are: 1. Catheter. 2. Lead, 3. Unable to operate cause of liver size, 4. Lovenol injections for blood clots daily for 2 weeks post op.

Hi Patrick!

As a man, I can see how a catheter would be a scary prospect for you--youch! I'm sorry, but I don't know what #2 refers to (I can be kinda slow sometimes--sorry!) Are you referring to the mineral lead? Or are you referring to something they have to do to you before surgery? Did your surgeon tell you that they may not be able to operate because of your liver size? They will have go to inside before they can tell? I wish they could do some kind of scan for you so they could get an idea of the size and placement of the liver before "going in".

I have personal experience with lovenox injections--they're awful. I'm SO sorry that you'll have to have them for two weeks! I had to give them to my mother in law every day for a month and her stomach was yellow and green and purple. Is this a common thing for people who are going to have VSG, or is this something that is specific to you?

I'm so glad you're going to go for it, though, because reading your list of goals is just so inspirational!

For me, I want to be able to wear a skirt or shorts in the summer and be able to walk for more than five minutes without my thighs rubbing, chafing, bleeding, and scabbing! But I'm a HUGE roller coaster fan too! I will probably be having my surgery around the same time as you--how about we meet up one day at Cedar Point (since you're in Ohio) and ride a coaster together? lol

Congrats again on your Independence Day!

I think Anesthesia is least of my fears....my top fears are: 1. Catheter. 2. Lead' date=' 3. Unable to operate cause of liver size, 4. Lovenol injections for blood clots daily for 2 weeks post op.[/quote']

Sorry to sound silly but do you need a catheter for this op?

I think Anesthesia is least of my fears....my top fears are: 1. Catheter. 2. Lead' date=' 3. Unable to operate cause of liver size, 4. Lovenol injections for blood clots daily for 2 weeks post op.[/quote']

Hey Patrick, I can't say much for number #1, but you will only feel it being pulled out. It is two seconds. As for #4, I had my wife do the shots for me in my belly. They do not hurt.

Hi Patrick!

As a man' date=' I can see how a catheter would be a scary prospect for you--youch! I'm sorry, but I don't know what #2 refers to (I can be kinda slow sometimes--sorry!) Are you referring to the mineral lead? Or are you referring to something they have to do to you before surgery? Did your surgeon tell you that they may not be able to operate because of your liver size? They will have go to inside before they can tell? I wish they could do some kind of scan for you so they could get an idea of the size and placement of the liver before "going in".

I have personal experience with lovenox injections--they're awful. I'm SO sorry that you'll have to have them for two weeks! I had to give them to my mother in law every day for a month and her stomach was yellow and green and purple. Is this a common thing for people who are going to have VSG, or is this something that is specific to you?

I'm so glad you're going to go for it, though, because reading your list of goals is just so inspirational!

For me, I want to be able to wear a skirt or shorts in the summer and be able to walk for more than five minutes without my thighs rubbing, chafing, bleeding, and scabbing! But I'm a HUGE roller coaster fan too! I will probably be having my surgery around the same time as you--how about we meet up one day at Cedar Point (since you're in Ohio) and ride a coaster together? lol

Congrats again on your Independence Day![/quote']

Thanks for your kind works. I dont remember what #2 was now but that was.a typo lol. Endoscopy could be on that list. I'm just not a fan of hospitals anyhow or tests lol.

About cedar point that would be cool, we should have ohio michigan indiana open invite to cedar point in a year or so.

About cedar point that would be cool' date=' we should have ohio michigan indiana open invite to cedar point in a year or so.[/quote']

I'm from Missouri, so IDK what Cedar Point is, but if it's a big coaster I'll make the trek.

I'm from Missouri, so IDK what Cedar Point is, but if it's a big coaster I'll make the trek.

Cedar point has the biggest / most roller coasters of any amusement park in America, at least 10 years ago they did lol. - It's near Toledo Ohio fyi.