Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Won't Be Able To Eat Like I Used To Eat!

I won’t be able to eat like I used to eat.

Hi Everyone,

Believe it or not, this is one of the main explanations I hear from people as to why they don’t think they want to have weight loss surgery. Come on, that is how you got FAT and remained FAT—eating all that food. I never feel deprived at all—I promise you. I have a restrictions now of a “VSG aka Sleeve.” I am the first one who will tell you that the 1st month after WLS is the toughest months that you will ever have to do. That is the month that you have to reprogram your head(big job) to do and reprogram your stomach that it is OK to eat small amounts of food. It takes quite a while to learn how to eat small amounts of food without your ridiculous brain trying to convenience you that you should be eating more. Our brains love to play tricks on us. So many of us call this brain thing a “head game.” Because; honestly we DO NOT NEED all the food we used to eat—that is how you got fat eating all that food. It also takes time to learn to eat small tiny bites and to chew, and chew, and chew (about 30 chews) to each bite, until the food almost feels like liquid in our mouth before we swallow it. In my past, I inhaled my food before I had weight loss surgery. Stop and see how many times you chew your food now before you swallow it—I bet 2 or 3 times and you are talking and shoveling more food in all the time you are eating.broken_heart.gif

So, I want you know that it is possible to NOT feel deprived. It is possible to learn to eat healthy and yummy foods and occasional have a small amount of desert too. You need to have your head in the right place and want to have your WLS more than anything you have ever wanted to in your life. clap.gif

It does require work on your part, the fat will NOT just melt off of you without work on your part –making healthy food choices for me I ate about 800 calories per day and felt very satisfied. Also some exercise really does help. I know most of us have really never exercised much—I was one of those—I hated it because it was difficult to do when I was FAT. Find some form of exercise that works for you and that you like and will keep doing it. For me, I LOVE to walk,dance.gif and I have been walking more than I used to. It doesn’t require a gym fee or fancy clothes. You already know how to walk. Just get a good pair of shoes, socks and away you go. I am now walking 4 miles a day 7 days a week. cool2.gif

I don’t want you to give up on yourself. Come on make the pledge to put yourself FIRST and be the thin and healthy person that is screaming inside of you to come out! I am always here if you have any questions or need help or support. I have a favorite doctor and like a lot of you, he helped me change my entire life. It is never too late to make that change.applause.gif

Hugs, and take care of YOU!heart.gifheart.gif

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/21/2008

Lost 105 pounds and have kept it OFF

Wow... I wanna be just like you when I slim up :-) This gives me such a positive out look. You said what every person pre and new post op needs to hear. Thank you so much

Wow... I wanna be just like you when I slim up :-) This gives me such a positive out look. You said what every person pre and new post op needs to hear. Thank you so much

HI,

I wrote it because I have heard all the reasons and excuses why they are scared to have WLS or don't think it is for them.

You can do it and honestly , and I NEVER feel deprived. I can eat small amount of food. Sometimes the urge to eat something is NO more than just a small taste or bite of something--then the craving goes away. It is OK to toss out food, not clean your plate and eat small amounts of things.

I want you to be successful and always know I am out here if you want to talk or just need advise or need to talk and ask questions.

Hugs, you can DO this.

Suzanne

Thanks for the positive post. I am pre-op and scheduled on Monday. So needed your postive post!!!!

Thanks for sharing! I was just sleeved last week & am so happy with my decision!!

Thank you so much for this post! My surgery is next Thursday and I'm starting to feel the nerves!! Thank you for the encouragement! God bless you!

Thanks for the positive post. I am pre-op and scheduled on Monday. So needed your postive post!!!!

Hey, you are going to love your life changing journey that you are about to take. I want you to know that this is very normal to have all kinds of feelings and emotions about the surgery--so many of us did so do not panic OK. You are going to sail right through this surgery, and when you get home, if you need any help or want to talk, I am just an E-mail away.

Hugs, and I am sending you all kinds of good things and thoughts!

Thanks for sharing! I was just sleeved last week & am so happy with my decision!!

Hi,

Yay! you did it and you are right. It was the best choice you have ever made. Just hang in there, as I said this 1st month is the hardest month you will ever have to do. I am always here if you need something, or you are having a hard time. I have been down the road ahead of you and I know what it is like.

You are going to love your restriction and there there are times you many question it too, but you really have done the right thing.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thank you so much for this post! My surgery is next Thursday and I'm starting to feel the nerves!! Thank you for the encouragement! God bless you!

Hi,

All these feelings and emotions are sooooooo very normal. I must have tried to talk myself in and out of having this surgery 50 times those weeks before I had it. I was excited, scared, happy, nervous and not sure I could do it, wanted to have it done right away, questioned if this was right for me, sad, and questioned if this was the right thing, and new it was the right thing! I had all these feelings and emotions all in one day sometimes. So if you have these, it is so very normal to have.

I am glad my post helped you in some small way, I am here if you need to just talk and say how you are feeling. Hang in there your are going to love the results.

Hugs,

Suzanne