Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing From Rny To Sleeve--Grateful For 6 Month Requirement

Recenly, I was complaining about how devastated I was to have to complete a 6 month dietary program, because I am feeling so completely miserable with my comorbidities (joint pain, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, and sleep apnea). Well, after careful thought, prayer and consideration, I have decided to puruse vertical sleeve gastrectomy instead of the RNY. I changed my decision because I am now 35 years old and I need to minimize my risk for complications. I have 4 small children (9, 8, 4, and 2) and I husband who I need to care for. I know that VSG is not always complication free, but again, I need to minimize my risks. Secondly, I was reading a study in my insurance policy that cited that VSG is just as effective in reversing high blood pressure and diabetes as RNY. With RNY, I am not completely comfortable with the rerouting of intestines/malapsorption. Also, I am researching more and more that the weight loss is almost just as good, or just as good as RNY with VSG.

I am grateful that I have had this time to think everything over and continue my research. I am coming up on appointment 5 of 6 with the supervised program, and had I not had this time to do extra research, I may not have discovered that the VSG is just as good as the RNY with usually fewer complications. I have already confirmed with my insurance company that the VSG is covered and contacted my surgeon's office to inform them of my decision.

In addition to this change, recently I have:

-purchased a treadmill

-increased my exercise to 5 times per week

-completely eliminated carbs and sugar from my diet

-eliminated diet sodas from my diet

-drink 90% Water, th other 10% is hot tea (equal sweetner, little cream)

I was pretty much on the borderline of a BMI of 40, so I have lost 5 lbs and only wish to lose at the max 10 more before surgery. At this point, I cannot do anything that would disqualify me from this life changing surgery. I feel ready to utilitze this tool to maximize my results and live a healthy lifestyle! :)

I chose the sleeve for because I didn't want my insides rerouted either. But, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. I just knew after much research that the Sleeve was meant for me.

Less than 60 days out of surgery I accomplished what I wanted and knocked my diabetic A1C down to 5.7% and my high blood pressure back into the normal ranges - all of this without the 5 medications I was on to control those two diseases before surgery.

I am proud of myself for taking control and making such a smart decision.

Good luck with your new life and kudos for taking the time to reflect on what you want from the surgery.

God bless!

I feel ready to utilitze this tool to maximize my results and live a healthy lifestyle! :)

Congrats Rainy007

you are totally ready for this new sleeved life.

I envy you at the age of 35 having the sleeve done, you have made a very wise decision.

i'm 58 and 5 months post op, wish i had the sleeve done a long time ago. - won't get upset about the past, too happy to look toward the future.

best

kathy

Great post!

You are well on your way to your new healthy life!!

Ok so when I saw your title I thought you were revising from RVY to VSG and had all sorts of wtf questions I wanted to know about the procedure. ;) But since you hooked me, here are my two cents...

I know that VSG is not always complication free, but again, I need to minimize my risks. Your initial risks will be about the same with either procedure. Both have about the same leak rates, I think stricture rates for the first 6 months are similar (then VSG goes down), etc. When you get out to, say, 5 years they are almost night & day. Secondly, I was reading a study in my insurance policy that cited that VSG is just as effective in reversing high blood pressure and diabetes as RNY. With RNY, I am not completely comfortable with the rerouting of intestines/malapsorption. Just to make sure - you understand that sleevers can have dumping, many develop similar intolerances to RNY, etc. Also, I am researching more and more that the weight loss is almost just as good, or just as good as RNY with VSG. Initial weightloss (2 yrs) tends to be slightly lower, but regain stats are much better.

I am grateful that I have had this time to think everything over and continue my research. I am coming up on appointment 5 of 6 with the supervised program, and had I not had this time to do extra research, I may not have discovered that the VSG is just as good as the RNY with usually fewer complications. I have already confirmed with my insurance company that the VSG is covered and contacted my surgeon's office to inform them of my decision.

In addition to this change, recently I have:

-purchased a treadmill

-increased my exercise to 5 times per week

-completely eliminated carbs and sugar from my diet If you're truly going to follow a zero carb lifestyle, please research it. You will also need to ensure your are adequately converting Protein to glucose (testing regimen). Our proportionately small livers (store it) and big brains (need it) can quickly lead to some serious problems. It is going to be very hard (I'd say impossible, but impractical is probably the better term) to maintain with a sleeve, especially a new sleeve. And be diligent about your checkups. The rates of things like gut cancers, kidney stones... cringe. Also, if you're achieving zero carb through a meat only diet, make sure you include animal fats and offal. This is a must.

-eliminated diet sodas from my diet

-drink 90% Water, th other 10% is hot tea (equal sweetner, little cream)

I was pretty much on the borderline of a BMI of 40, so I have lost 5 lbs and only wish to lose at the max 10 more before surgery. At this point, I cannot do anything that would disqualify me from this life changing surgery. I feel ready to utilitze this tool to maximize my results and live a healthy lifestyle! :)

HTH, and best of luck.

I chose the sleeve for because I didn't want my insides rerouted either. But, doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. I just knew after much research that the Sleeve was meant for me.

Less than 60 days out of surgery I accomplished what I wanted and knocked my diabetic A1C down to 5.7% and my high blood pressure back into the normal ranges - all of this without the 5 medications I was on to control those two diseases before surgery.

I am proud of myself for taking control and making such a smart decision.

Good luck with your new life and kudos for taking the time to reflect on what you want from the surgery.

God bless!

Thank you!! What a great success you have had. Congratulations on reversing those comorbids so quickly! :)

Congrats Rainy007

you are totally ready for this new sleeved life.

I envy you at the age of 35 having the sleeve done, you have made a very wise decision.

i'm 58 and 5 months post op, wish i had the sleeve done a long time ago. - won't get upset about the past, too happy to look toward the future.

best

kathy

Congrats on your sleeve, and thanks for the positive thoughts. Your future is before you, and I'm sure it's looking bright!!! :) Keep moving foward.

Great post!

You are well on your way to your new healthy life!!

Thanks Pennie. I'm working on it day by day....

Ok so when I saw your title I thought you were revising from RVY to VSG and had all sorts of wtf questions I wanted to know about the procedure. ;) But since you hooked me, here are my two cents...

HTH, and best of luck.

Wow, thanks for your '2 cents' :) When I stated that I wanted to minimize my risks, I am talking about overall risks and complications when comparing sleeve to RNY. I wasn't just speaking about initial risks. I fully have research and understand the leakage rates with the sleeve, and my surgeon has gone over all of this data with me. I also understand that sleevers can dump, which would be a good thing for me...would act as a deterrant from consuming too many starches and sugars.

Let me clarify, I am not aiming to maintain a zero carb lifestyle, but there are lower carb foods like vegetables, sweet potatoes, complex carbs that I will consume to meet my need for carbs. I will maintain probably around 30g of carbs per day, and 70-100g of Protein. My dietician has approved my plan and I have informed her of my change as well. I will be meeting with her in a few more weeks.

Thanks for your advice and info.

ok... fat, yes, but offal ?

of·fal

   /ˈɔfəl, ˈɒfəl/ Show Spelled[aw-fuhl, of-uhl] noun

1. the parts of a butchered animal that are considered inedible by human beings; carrion.

2. the parts of a butchered animal removed in dressing; viscera.

3. refuse; rubbish; garbage.

um....

???