Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, So Happy Since The Band Removal And Sleeve

I can't believe that it has been 14 mos. since I had my band removed, and the sleeve done! I am 91 lbs. lighter, and I feel wonderful! I never lost any appreciable weight with my band, and I would have some pain and discomfort if I ate certain foods, and sometimes vomiting. I had trouble eating the good food, (chicken, pork, veggies) but the junk food went down just fine. I had 6 adjustments, and it didn't help me. Thank God for the sleeve. I am so happy for this new chance at life. Thank you, thank you, Dr. Dumkowski of Sebastian, FL. You changed my life! Here's to all my fellow "losers" that have already or will experience the new you.

Yeaaaah!!! Good for you in braving another surgery to get the "right" surgery done! I'm friends with a band to sleeve convert. She said the restriction with the sleeve is like how she thought the band was going to be, but never was. Plus, much less pain and less drama. Best thing she ever did was to get the band taken out and get sleeved! I bet there are going to be more and more band-to-sleeve converts as time goes on (and the bands, almost inevitably, start giving patients problems).

Congrats on your success!!

Once I did some research on the band I was lke "whoa!".

The sleeve has saved my life, congrats on your revision and the best of everything to you!

I am revising from a band to sleeve. Although I did lose weight initially, I never got to a sweet spot and things went totally awry after a year. I am happy for those people for whom the band works, but I can hardly wait to get it out of me!

Congrats to everyone on their success!! I'm a conversion too. I had the Band for almost 4 years. When I first heard about the sleeve at my surgeon's office I almost cried because I kept thinking that I got the wrong surgery. Thank God the Band is removable! I got it out ASAP and got the sleeve April 24th, 2012, and I'm so happy that I did it. The Band was just getting worse and worse and I've heard of horror stories with some people so Bye Bye Band for me!!

Congrats to everyone on being converted to the sleeve. I was banded April 30, 2010 and it has been the most trying 2 years of my life. I've been adjusted about 5 times and I have the hardest time eating ANYTHING! I've met with the doctor and he agreed the sleeve would be best for me. I told him it's hard for me to eat and I've just been dealing with it. But I've had enough, I want this thing out.

Got a call from the insurance (BCBS) on Tuesday saying they denied me because they don't think I've done enough with the diet and exercise portion. They have also requested more information from the doctors office as well. However, if I can show that I've been working out and am on some sort of diet plan then she will resubmit my case.

Positive thoughts I will be approved soon. I really need this surgery.

Dear MsE,

You've got our positive thoughts for sure. It seems like its up to your doctor to step up and go to bat for you. These insurance companies will try to sqirm out of anything if possible. Keep after your doc, and hopefully you'll be able to go forward. Keep the faith..... And thanks to those of you that have responded with all of your good wishes. Right back at cha!!!

Wow, LCS! You have given me hope. I have been on another sleeve site for about a week looking for answers. I am scheduled to have a Band to Sleeve revision on August 11. I have put my $500 deposit down, but I am not sure I will actually go through with the surgery.

I was banded two years ago in Mexico (had a wonderful experience there). But had a really disappointing experience with my band. I've been completely drained about three times and spent $100s on adjustments that have left me vomiting and also affected my esophagus. I hate that when I'm filled, I can't eat raw or fibrous veggies. It's like a game to figure out what I can and can't eat from day to day, hour to hour!

I have been completely drained since March and still vomit on occasion (bread...) I am around 240lbs and need a way out of this hole. Can any of you band to sleevers give me some advice? I'd be so very, very grateful!

I'm so impressed and amazed by all your strength and perserverence! Thank you for inspiring me!

Many thanks, Erika :)

I know exactly what you mean. I typed out my whole story of my journey from a band to sleeve, post #34 on this thread,

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/38798-are-we-all-doing-this-too-soon/page__st__20

In summary, sleeve works, band not so much.

Wow, LCS! You have given me hope. I have been on another sleeve site for about a week looking for answers. I am scheduled to have a Band to Sleeve revision on August 11. I have put my $500 deposit down, but I am not sure I will actually go through with the surgery.

I was banded two years ago in Mexico (had a wonderful experience there). But had a really disappointing experience with my band. I've been completely drained about three times and spent $100s on adjustments that have left me vomiting and also affected my esophagus. I hate that when I'm filled, I can't eat raw or fibrous veggies. It's like a game to figure out what I can and can't eat from day to day, hour to hour!

I have been completely drained since March and still vomit on occasion (bread...) I am around 240lbs and need a way out of this hole. Can any of you band to sleevers give me some advice? I'd be so very, very grateful!

I'm so impressed and amazed by all your strength and perserverence! Thank you for inspiring me!

Many thanks, Erika :)

Just like everyone else...I am SO glad my band is gone and I am sleeved. The sleeve is everything I thought the band would be. My 1 year revision surgiversary is in 10 days and I couldn't be happier w/my sleeve. For the first time ever, I know that I can keep this weight off :)

From one Erika to another....take the leap and do it!!! I lived through two bands and I don't even remember how many fills/unfills I had. My sleeve never needs to be adjusted and gives me consistent restriction daily. I still have to make good food choices, but the sleeve makes eating healthy so much easier!!

Thank you CowGirlJane and Ricky!! (My parents considered calling me "Ricky" too!) It is so inspiring and helpful to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to write your posts. I was on another site for the last week or so and no one would respond to me and I got discouraged. I really appreciate your responses, and I am so happy for you guys! Hope you continue to experience much happiness with your sleeve! ...I may come back for more questions later!! Thanks again, and much love! Erika ;)