Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, as far as vanity for Hair loss I tried Xfusion which really hides thinning hair. I ordered it from Amazon and it is pretty reasonable.

Try Biosil drops....about 10-12 drops a day. Buy them online at Amazon or at GNC. Make sure to mix them with a strong liquid cause they are nasty. You should see a difference after a few weeks of taking them EVERY day.

Thanks I will also try that.

Hi

Can someone explain why we are going to loose our hair after surgery

I've been taking Biotin every day since 2 months out and my hair loss, IMO, hasn't been too bad.

Kat1, there are different theories from lack of Protein to natural side effect of anesthesia. Everyone's Hair loss is different and you don't lose it in the places you'd LIKE to lose it from. It all seems to come from our heads! :)

Thanks Lissa

Now I am nervous as I am over 50 and my hair has become thin ugg to lose more hurray lol.

I'm so glad you guys started a new thread on this, because it's SO TIMELY for me. I'm getting close to five months out and if I even touch my hair, many strands fall out and it's constant. When I blow it dry, these humongous amounts of hair come out.

The good news is that I had a lot of hair to start with, but I'm figuring that won't help long if this doesn't slow down. I'm losing it like crazy.

I'm taking a couple of salmon oil tablets daily and only putting my hair in a ponytail when I work out, which I understand is tough on it.

I always make sure I have my oil in every day, which I figure could be important.

All suggestions welcome!!!

Onward,

Carol

Big topic but I can just tell you for me, I was 4 months out before I noticed the Hair loss and then I was freaking out; didn't want to comb it, didn't want to wash it, started looking for wigs, and was generally pissed. I had been taking Biotin for months; then on the advice of my Naturapath Dr. I started taking Luminous and bought some Shampoo with Biotin in it made for thinning hair. Not sure what did the trick, but the important thing is that the period of it being super fragile was only about 2 weeks. I am now 6 months post op and my hair is starting to return to normal. I haven't dyed it since a month before surgery and am thinking I may take the leap here soon to hide some of the gray coming in. Here I am finally looking younger because of my weight loss, I don't want gray hair getting in my way!!!!

i am two month out i got my hair braided individually for 1 month n 3 weeks .. i took em out.. got it relaxed n i can say no hair loss.. its actually healthier n fuller.. in a couple of weeks i will get it braided again.. i add olive oil n some dr miracle leave in hair treatment while its braided. if anything i will start taking Biotin

My Nut explained it to me like this: our food intake changes so drastically that our bodies kinda freak out and place all of our nutrients and energy into our life preserving organs like brain heart lungs etc etc. Our hair is not needed to live so our bodies dont care for it. When our bodies finally figure out that our new low intake is normal and we aren't going to starve our hair will get better. She said taking in our Protein can help but it varies by individual. Hope that helps :)

I believe that what we are seeing is a delayed reaction from the stress on our bodies from surgery and recovery. Sure enough, I started noticing Hair loss 2 days ago -- almost 4 months to the day post surgery. It can't last forever. right? ;-)

I'm sure there is some accuracy in the Protein to Hair loss correlation, BUT I've had 2 c-sections in the last 4 years & at 3.5 mos out I'm just starting to see some hair loss that looks exactly like what I experienced after those 2 surgeries as well. The timing & amounts I'm losing are the same. I was told when I freaked out after c-section #1 that the shock on the body from surgery & anesthesia causes the hair loss. I don't see how this would be any different because as a total carb monster prior to surgery, I'd imagine that while I'm consuming so fewer cals I'm probably eating more protein than I was. And yet my sister wouldn't even let me in the kitchen tonight at her house because of the hair all over the back of my shirt, lol. It won't last long so don't freak out!! In the meantime, use it to get you out of cooking & kitchen cleaning duties hahaha!

I am right there with you all! I'm so glad I saw this thread because I have been in an absolute panic for days. I'm at 4 months post surgery and my hair is falling out in clumps too! I asked my doctor last week about it, and like everything else he acted as though it was no big deal and I was crazy. Typical for him... I have been scared to brush it or blow dry or anything. Luckily I had a lot of hair to begin with, but I can definitely tell a difference now. I started taking a hair and nail Vitamin from the Vitamin Shoppe awhile back, but I have noticed no difference. Now what can I do!? I'm 70 lbs lighter and am starting to be happy with my body, but now I'm losing my hair. I can't win for losing. :)

Mine started to fall out about right weeks post op. It's still coming out every time I touch it. It's disconcerting but I have a fair amount to start with thankfully.