Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Anyone in SEPT going to be banded and Forest Heath in MI?

:omg:

Also....I have a tad of a sore throat! I'm dosing up on Vit C, Echinacea and Rosehips! - any other suggestions?????

Hey Ratgirl, most men don't really know how to communicate their feelings. He may be trying to say he is worried about you and just can't. Men are wierd. Hang in there and take care of yourself. You have a son who needs you. Katt

Thanks Katt - I would agree, most men do have some issues with communication. As with most of us, there are a number of issue we have that go along with being over-weight. I just wish I could count on him. In any case, I guess it is good to know the truth and to know not to expect anything from him. I'm so glad my friend is coming down to take care of me.

- Kirsten

Ratgirl: Sorry to hear of your non-supportive husband. I think you got good advice when someone said that men have trouble communicating.

I also think that a lot of men can't handle illness very well. My husband hates, absolutely hates, being near hospitals.

One other possibility is that he's worried about what exactly is going to change around there. His life will probably be impacted to some extent, and he's probably not sure how it will affect him personally. Plus, maybe he is worried that you will be a real fox and won't want him anymore.

There are lots and lots of issues that can be involved and if you get too depressed, try to get some professional help to steer you in the right direction. I believe that when there are children involved, they deserve for us to not only be good parents, but to also maintain a good relationship with our spouses so that they can feel more secure (and actually BE more secure).

At any rate, I hope everything goes very smoothly for you. They say that none of the components of surgery or recovery are things we can't handle, so try to keep positive thoughts going and laugh when you can! :nervous

BJ

MOM: I don't know if you'll have your laptop with you, but good luck on your trip! You're so lucky to have your sister with you.

I did my pre-op yesterday and everything was very simple and easy. I spent time with the surgical nurse/assistant and with the doctor and actually did learn a few more small things. The primary thing being that in his practice, the people who participate in the program; go to the monthly meetings, see the nutritionist and exercise physiologist, etc., are totally changed people both inside and out. He said that after a few months you can hardly recognize some of his patients because their attitudes and outlooks are so great, they present a very different appearance than at the start of their journey.

The hosp. did a blood test (for kidney function) and an EKG, routine questions and instructions and I loved the way I was treated there.

I am psyched! I had lost 10 lbs. from my very first visit and 7 since my last appointment with them. Not a miraculous outcome, but worthy of praise from them. I can actually tell that my liver size is better because the whole area just below my breasts feels less bloated and is smaller. They said they can't stress enough how important this is. Carbs is bad, um kay?:)

I'm going on my pre-op shopping spree tomorrow, getting a pedicure and facial and just going to sit back and try to relax and feel pampered. BJ

P.S. They had a "mentor" call me and he told me that if he won the lottery he would bankroll several of his friends and family for the LB! He claims he's a poster child for the band wagon. :o

Had my banding 9/6/06 in Travers City Michigan .Got home from the hospital yesterday .Doing fine a little soar Doc says clear liquid 3 days then full liquids one week then pureed for one week then i go back to see him on the 19th. I Have been getting lots of good information here and want to thank you. I will keep in touch Thanks again:)

Gjdf52: Good for you! Sounds like your post-op diet is similar to the one I've been given. Hope you continue to do great and I'll look forward to hearing more about your sojourn into band-land!

I'm going on my pre-op shopping spree tomorrow, getting a pedicure and facial and just going to sit back and try to relax and feel pampered. BJ

I had my pedicure on Wed. I knew I needed pretty toes for the hospital ;) .

I'm trying to get my house cleaned up and all the laundry caught up so I won't have to deal with any of that next week. I keep trying different Protein Shakes to be prepared for my week of liquids. I start my 2 day liquid diet on Sunday. I can't believe it's only 4 more days!

How is everyone doing today?

I can't believe how fast this month is going.. I am so excited for everyone on thier upcoming surgeries... Today (4days post op) I feel much much better.... The nutritionist at Dr. Ortiz gave me a little different post op schedule that what I have been reading.... There is no mushy stage and after 3 days of Clear Liquids I can try other soft foods.. So far I just upgraded to thicker soups.. I'm scared to eat anything else..

I can't wait to hear about how everyone is doing!!!

Steph

Hi Everyone. Tuesday was my day and now it's Friday. I am feeling much better in terms of soreness. But what is this burp that I can't burp? For the past 6 hours I have had a burp (I know this isn't pleasant) stuck in my stomach and will not come out. I've walked, had my DH pat me on the back like a little baby, nothing works. ;)

Aside from that, I've been eating Jello, and now I'm on to Malt-O-Meal. It goes down very easily. I think I might make some mashed tatoes tonight, see how that does. Today is the first day that I'm starting to get hungry. I was watching TV and saw a Red Lobster commercial and it made me remember how much I love their little cheese garlic biscuit things. Yum. Yum.

Well, that's my update at the moment. I go back to work on Monday, so hopefully everything will be well by then and the blasted burp will go away. :)

Hi everyone!

I was just banded yesterday, the 7th. I feel pretty good and even had a latte and frappucino from Starbucks - they went down very well. I also had a peach smoothie from Sonic - and it was way too thick for this soon out! I am still sick to my stomach from it.

I feel good, other than a little nausea and some stomach port pain. How is everyone else feeling?

I also need some good, creative ideas for the full liquid stage. Thanks!

Want2lose - I laughed when I read about your pedicure. I did the same thing. My french manicured toes looked great. When I got to the hospital, they told me to undress and put these ugly socks on. Needless to say, while I was in surgery no one got to see my $30 pedicure. lol.

Cassandra, happy to hear you're doing well. Three days post op and feeling much better today. Yesterday was my worst day. The port pain can be annoying. Bending, sleeping, and sitting gives me pain around the port area.

As far as liquids, I've been making chocolate protien shakes with a quarter of a banana. I only drink about 4oz b/c I get full with thicker liquids. I made escarole and bean Soup and pureed it down to a full liquid. Had a little bit of that. Jello with homemade sugar free whip cream. I don't use alot of the cream. Just a teaspoon on the jello to make it a little more tastey. Split pea is good too. Not eating much. If I'm getting 600 calories for the last 5 days it's alot.

When I got to the hospital, they told me to undress and put these ugly socks on. Needless to say, while I was in surgery no one got to see my $30 pedicure. lol.

I didn't know about the socks!!! What a bummer.

I'm glad your feeling better.

I'm feeling really sore today. ;) I think I maybe overdid some things yesterday when I felt great because of the morphine. Stupid me. Now it's kind of hard and pretty painful to get of the bed because you have to use your stomach muscles somewhat.

I think I'm hungry? I don't know. I've just had Water the past two days, but I'm scared to eat even mushies yet.

I've been looking at some other posts about food, and I saw someone say she couldn't imagine eating chips because they wouldn't stay down. I wonder how you find out which foods you can eat and which foods you can't? I also read where a lady had slippage because of eating broccoli?? I guess after the fact, I'm really nervous about what to eat. :)

**Tha is exactly how I feel. How will I know what will pass through, or what will make me sick. Will it hurt? Thanks about the heating pad. I'll make sure I get one. Any other advice? I am getting band on the 13th.