Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Milk, My Friend, Why Do You Insist On Hating Me?

So I have never in 33 years had a problem with lactose.... Until day 4 post op and then it decided to kick me in the ass! ^_~ I had no idea how many foods lactose is in until I developed this intolerance. I have switched to lactaid milk for my shakes, purchased lactaid pills, and I avoid foods with lactose. I have found the pills help but I still feel a little sick with them. Any other advice?

So..in a glass full way of thinking.... If I ever feel constipated all I have to do is drink a very small glass of milk.

Things could be a lot worse but I hope this goes away sooner rather then later.

My lactose intolerance is easing up in a big way. I ate some cottage cheese tonight and actually had some regular milk last week without problems. However, I was careful to keep the portions small. I never tried the lactaid pills.< /p>

i have always loved milk, but after surgery it doesn't love me. can do milk based products now, but more that 2 or 3 sips of milk and i am running for a bathroom€.

Maybe your stomach isn't ready for dairy yet. It took me about six weeks before I was comfortable with it. Hold off for a few days and then try it again.

So maybe this was a bit lofty... but for the last couple of days I was trying to get my protine in the old fashoned way--eating. I see that at about a month out that is an imbossible task. I do have unflavored protine that I have been using in my crystal light but wondered if anyone had any suggestions on a good tasting lactose free RTD shakes. I am a kinda rare becuse I do not mind premier, adtkins, or any of the mixes that I bought from GNC. As a matter of fact, I kinda even enjoyed the protine shakes. I could still tolorate my gnc powder with lactaid milk until a few days ago. I do prefer RTD shaks, tho.

Hi all,

I had my sleeve done 5 months ago and have had diarrhea at least twice a week since???? I had my gall baldder out last week because I was having vomiting and pain after eating. Now that the gall baldder is out I still wonder what is causing the diarrhea? I had a band first then was converted to sleeve. I was never lactose intolerant with the band or even prior to the band. Help, I worried about going out for too long. If I take imodium I am ok but I know that is not good with the sleeve. Can I become lactose intolerant?

I've heard becoming lactose intolerant is quite common with the sleeve. You may want to leave lactose alone for a couple months. My girlfriend who had her sleeve in Feb is lactose intolerant. She now drinks the syntax nectar drinks. I bought a few just in case this happens to me after surgery.

Yes, lactose intolerance is a very common side effect of sleeve surgery. Some people can still tolerate cheese and other products but not milk. My surgeon suggested lactose free milk for after surgery. I'm still on Clear Liquids, so I haven't tried any yet though. Some people grow out of it, but some are lactose intolerant for life.

cheese doesn't bother me at all, but milk might send me running to the bathroom a couple of hours later, but if I want to have a milk based drink (say, iced coffee with milk from Wawa) I will. I never had that problem before.

Sadly, I absolutely can *not* drink milkshakes at all - they make me nauseous almost immediately. I'd like to be able to have them on a special occassion (say 2-3 times a year), but I can live with it.

A few days after surgery I discovered i had become lactose intollerent after 30+ years of successful milk drinking.

Not being able to have milk was not an option for me..... So I tricked my body into going back to lactose tollerent by drinking milk 2x/ day for a week and dealing with the "fallout".

It only took a week until i could have dairy w/o running for the restroom!!

Now milk is no problem.

@Calikat, how did you know that would work? Thats awesome!

Truthfully- I had no idea it would.... I kinda did it cause the thought of not drinking milk, having yogurt or cheese was way to limiting for me and it was a stab in the dark!

Thankfully it paid off!

I used to be horribly lactose intolerant from sleeve surgery. It drove me nuts, because it interfered with a lot of things I really enjoy.

Thankfully, it went away. Most of us do adjust eventually.

I too developed lactose intolerance post-op. At over one year out, it is better but not gone.

Immediately post-op I only tolerated powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein. It has very little or no lactose.

I drink Soy Milk now in my lattes and have learned to like it. I just kept trying different brands till I found one I liked.

I can eat greek yogurt, but not regular yogurt.

I can now drink a little milk, or have a couple of bites of ice cream, soft cheese, or whipped cream, but at first even one bite would get me.

Lynda