Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers?! Where Ya's At?

Good luck to everyone going in over the next few days. I go in Thursday and was excited. Now I keep breaking down in tears of anxiety. I'm just so upset and I'm not sure if I'm scared of pain, or scared I'm leaving my brand new business...I just start shaking and crying...I hope to feel better tomorrow.

I'm scheduled for Thursday as well. I'm so afraid of dying. I have 4 kids I really don't want to leave motherless. They are still babies. I just wish it was over with.

I'm 4 weeks out this tue, and I have to confess I'm only supposed to be on soft foods and I ate 1/2 cheeseburger pattie from in & out.. And 10 French fries... Wow can't believe it was sooooo good.. I'm working out a lot but have only lost 18 pounds.. Weight doesnt bother me, I see a big difference in my clothes. Am i the only naughty one here?

Why would you risk your life for this surgery and then try to kill yourself with food again? Your stomach is not healed and your poor choices aren't just bad choices now....they're Russian roulette. It's not a good game to play.

I'm scheduled for Thursday as well. I'm so afraid of dying. I have 4 kids I really don't want to leave motherless. They are still babies. I just wish it was over with.

I've been down this road and know your concerns Hun. Hug your babies and make sure you have a good doc and support staff. Don't make stupid choices after surgery and you'll very likely be telling us how great you feel next week. You and your babies will be in my thoughts!

Why would you risk your life for this surgery and then try to kill yourself with food again? Your stomach is not healed and your poor choices aren't just bad choices now....they're Russian roulette. It's not a good game to play.

Actually the stomach is healed between 14 and 21 days after surgery.....it does not make for thebest food choices but she isn't playing Russian roulette....the point for me of having this surgery is that if I feel the need to screw myself up I can only do it with a small amount of food......our stomachs were in surgery not our brains and this is supposed to be a place of support.....I understand you didn't mean it that way..or at least I think...but if I just messed up it would really make me mad if someone spoke to me this way.....

It is true we need to do good.....and we need to eat Protein first then produce....we r in this together.....I am gonna screw up, so are you and you and you.....as far as the burger and fries goes.....not our best choice but not the worst either.....good luck with your food choices....

If you read the surgical literature on this procedure you would understand the heeling process better. The first seven days are the highest risk for damage, the second two weeks are the more common damage points because people feel better and feel they can do things they cant (safely). But there is a clear window of six weeks form surgery in which leaks can easily develop by making stupid food choices. After seven weeks you are out of the highest danger zone but it still takes months for the new stomach to be fully formed (absorbing the staple line to make a wall of its own around them).

Eating foods too complex for our sleeve early on is not "naughty". It's risking your life. No one makes a cheese burger that good! I am not of the school that says because you didn't shoot yourself in the head you did ok...which leads folks to try the game again. Eventually your luck will run out. I'd rather that people understood how bad what they have done is and what it could do to them.

Offensive? Maybe to some, but no more offensive than reading that someone played Russian roulette while I am lying here after almost dying having this procedure.

Actually the stomach is healed between 14 and 21 days after surgery.....it does not make for thebest food choices but she isn't playing Russian roulette....the point for me of having this surgery is that if I feel the need to screw myself up I can only do it with a small amount of food......our stomachs were in surgery not our brains and this is supposed to be a place of support.....I understand you didn't mean it that way..or at least I think...but if I just messed up it would really make me mad if someone spoke to me this way.....

It is true we need to do good.....and we need to eat Protein first then produce....we r in this together.....I am gonna screw up' date=' so are you and you and you.....as far as the burger and fries goes.....not our best choice but not the worst either.....good luck with your food choices....[/quote']

Thank you icandothis,

I'm glad u understand me. I've actually been doing good with my protien. Not trying to make excuses but all my family stopped by at in & out after our Vegas vacation and I was so tempted. I could of had my 2nd protien drink but I didn't. Even when we were at vegas, i kept drinking my h2o and Protein Shakes. Even worked out at the gym at our hotel. Nothing like me!!!Before my surgery I could have had 2 cheeseburger animal style with a large coke.... Having those 2 1/2 bites of a cheeseburger pattie(chewed it well), felt good.. I chewed like 45 times, learing how to chew my meals have been the hardest for me. I know I got this! Good luck to all of us!!! Yay :)

If you read the surgical literature on this procedure you would understand the heeling process better. The first seven days are the highest risk for damage' date=' the second two weeks are the more common damage points because people feel better and feel they can do things they cant (safely). But there is a clear window of six weeks form surgery in which leaks can easily develop by making stupid food choices. After seven weeks you are out of the highest danger zone but it still takes months for the new stomach to be fully formed (absorbing the staple line to make a wall of its own around them).

Eating foods too complex for our sleeve early on is not "naughty". It's risking your life. No one makes a cheese burger that good! I am not of the school that says because you didn't shoot yourself in the head you did ok...which leads folks to try the game again. Eventually your luck will run out. I'd rather that people understood how bad what they have done is and what it could do to them.

Offensive? Maybe to some, but no more offensive than reading that someone played Russian roulette while I am lying here after almost dying having this procedure.[/quote']

I have read....and studied....books by 4 different drs who do the surgery...I have researched and researched.....and I am sorry you almost died... Thankyou for your input....

My surgery is Tuesday morning and I keep telling my husband how to care for our son if I die, how much I love him and I'm sorry if I die... It was freaking him out a bit. I don't think it's likely to happen, but need to be prepared for the worst.

My doctor said that the people he has lost during surgery were people that knew it was likely.... Very high risks factors, etc.

You are in the best hands EVER...Dr. A and his team will be really good to you. Don't be nervous :)

Best wishes to you !!

Thank you so much! I know you all had great experiences with dr a... So that makes me feel better. See you on the losers bench!!!

Hi Everyone' date=' my sister and I are having our sleeves done tomorrow morning... Due at the hospital at 7am..... Fingers crossed![/quote']

My prayers are with you both :)

August 31st here, HUMC , NJ

My surgery is Tuesday morning and I keep telling my husband how to care for our son if I die' date=' how much I love him and I'm sorry if I die... It was freaking him out a bit. I don't think it's likely to happen, but need to be prepared for the worst.

My doctor said that the people he has lost during surgery were people that knew it was likely.... Very high risks factors, etc.[/quote']

Bethany, I have zero comorbidity issues and am a low bmi. I was supposed to be the poster child for an easy surgery. I'm not trying to scare you, just share that for anyone there are risks. My advice to any mom or dad is to be sure to write a just in case letter to your kids (so freaking hard to do but I'm glad I did it) and have your medical directives in place. You'll feel better going into it that way.

Well we are at the Mi hospital I am all dressed up waiting for the dance :)