Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shame on Golden Corral.

Hubby and I decided to "beat the beast" so to say and make a visit to our local buffet. We typically enjoy the yummy food at Souper salad (who by the way does offer a discount to WLS patients).

I had called shortly after my surgery to see if they give a discount and they said yes, with proof of surgery (the card). I didn't have my card at the time and just said forget it.

The last time I went into the resturant they told me they would honor our cards this time, but not to be surprised if they don't in the future as it is "against company policy" to honor WLS discounts as Golden Corral is an "all you can eat resturant" and "if that is all you can eat, then that's all you can eat".

I know they aren't the best place to eat, but every now and then I enjoy a change of pace and I can honestly behave myself enough now to eat there.

Personally I think that type of company attitude promotes obesity. Gotta love the all mighty dollar!

I went to the one by me a few weeks ago and got charged child size. That is really obnoxious of them. Would they rather have you pay for a child size or not come at all! We should all write the company letters, and report it to the news - then we would see how fast thier snotty attitude would change. That really ticks me off that they said that!

If you have an Old Country Buffet near you the company policy is the same. If that is all you can eat, oh well. We don't eat there anymore. Also if you order off the kids menu at Bakers Square there is a service fee. I wasn't told about the fee and I ordered chicken when the bill came I was charged a $2 service fee and I was charged for my drink. I could have ordered the adult meal and had lunch for the next day. We don't eat there either. I am however in love with Olive Garden they let me order off the kids menu and they offer grilled chicken, it is about 4 oz and comes with steamed broccoli and Pasta, I skip the pasta and get either extra broccoli or mashed potatos. It also comes with salad or a Soup for around $5. That is a regular place for us. Healthy and reasonable. ~Mandy

Hi Carrie,

I have been to Golden Corral about 10 times in the last three years. ITs sometimes a good place to go because my children are fussy and like to make their own choices (4 and 10). In all the times that I have gone, I have never asked for special treatment because I eat less than others do.

Even as a bandster, I can still eat a fair amount at a grazing place due to the variety of textures of foods and their consistencies. Probably about 8-10 ounces. Most bandsters I know that are banded for a while eat about that amount which equates to about 1/3 of what I ate before I was banded.

I don't think they owe anything to me just because I had WLS. I was at the buffet at the MGM last year and it was a long line. I was alone and on my second day eating there, the waitress commented that I had not eaten much and wanted to know if the food was OK. I told her it was great, but that I had WLS and had lost 155 pounds and so I was careful about portions. She came back to me and said that they had changed my room charge to reflect a kids portion. I thought this was very very nice of them and explained that I did not expect any special treatment because what I ate I enjoyed immensely and I did not feel deprived since I tried a bite of everything I wanted including dessert.

This topic comes up often on many of the lapband boards I have perused over the last 4 years and its a 50/50 split opinion on the way that establishments should handle this. I personally dont want any special treatment. If I go to a buffet vs a sit down and order restaurant, I know what I am getting myself into and I also know that I probably am not going to get my money's worth if I just base it on food intake. But personally, I dont care. I care more about the total experience than the quantity I am able to eat.

Babs in TX

334/180

-150+ give or take depending on the day

Last time I went to Golden Corral, I showed them my card and they charged me for a medical buffet, which was 2 dollars less.

Kathy

I tried to use my card at Old Country Buffet and was told that they don't honor them because people who haven't had WLS duplicate them and use them. Don't know if that's true or not, but the cashier said her mom had a band and she was told the same thing. I just don't go there anymore because I can't afford to pay almost $10 for a cup of food. But we are getting an Olive Garden, so I'm glad to hear they will do a discount.

Emily

I had called shortly after my surgery to see if they give a discount and they said yes, with proof of surgery (the card).

I've never heard of this policy before! Do a lot of restaurants give you a discount if you've had WLS?

I understand why places wouldn't want to accept the cards - but I do think they should accododate customers with WLS and it's not that I think they owe me anything like Babs said,,,, I just think they should do it if they want to keep customers. I am not going to pay $10 to eat at Golden Corral, or anywhere where I can't take the part of my meal I don't eat to-go. But if Golden Corral wantrs my friends, family, and husband coming in - they should honor the discount - because those people aren't going to eat without me, and I'm not going to go there if I have to pay $10. I'm sorry, but money is an issue in my family, and I don't have much extra money. If Golden Corral wants to lose me as a customer, they should remember they are also losing my husband, my friends, and my parents too.

Also, if they have a problem with people copying the cards - I'd be happy to show them my scars!

i happily pay 10-12$ to go to one of those places. my father in law is diabetic and cant eat spices so its the only place he can go. i have gone when i was so tight i pb broth from the chicken noodle in the bathroom. i paid with a smile. its all YOU can eat and if you cant eat that much- oh well! the people who can eat the largest amounts dont get charged a $2 service fee cause they can eat extra!

THIS IS SOOOO FUNNY. I AM REALLY SITTING HERE OUT LOUD LAUGHING ABOUT THIS. I would never in life expect a discount , for NOT stuffing my face. You have got to be kidding me!!

I wouldn't expect one, but I do think it would be smart of buffet places to offer one. To attract groups with a banded member that might not otherwise eat there.

We don't eat at the buffets that charge me $12 for dinner and I eat a cup of Soup and maybe a small portion of meat. I will also not eat at a place that charges me a service charge for ordering off the kids menu without warning me first. I usually order an adult meal and take a portion of it home with me or I share with my 5 year old daughter. I have no problem paying full price when I am on vacation or if the quality of food is worth it. I do pay full price at golden corral, we have one near us and we go for shrimp night, I can eat a bowl of soup and 8 or 10 shrimp. To me it is worth the $10 for dinner if I am eating good food. I won't pay $10 for crap anywhere. I haven't ask for a discount for a buffet except for when we go to Disney, I know they are WLS friendly and they charge me the $18 childs price for the buffet instead of the $25 for adults. They have never refused me the discount and have it on record when I make reservations now. I don't even have to ask at the places that we eat at on every trip as they know me and my family. I have no problem ordering an adult meal if I can take leftovers home and have them later. When we are going to be out and not have access to a fridge I usually order off the kids menu. ~Mandy

Hi Laura,

I got a laugh about the scars!!! LOL I dont think that Golden Corral cares about the small US percentage of folks that have WLS and have families that they will lose as customers as a result of their policy. Its really the same mentality that insurance companies have about paying for WLS. They just figure if they dont address the issue or just say its company policy that they dont do that, then you will go away or just pay.

I didn't mean to be unsympathetic to folks that dont have money to go out and eat and pay full price but you paid full price before you were banded, so I dont see that as being relevant. The price was the same before and after regardless of how much you can eat. If you dont think you are getting value doing this and others in your family want to go, I say just bite the bullet if you dont want to make waves. Why should a restaurant be responsible for a lifestyle change? When you were obese they didnt ask you to pay double because you were able to eat twice as much as their other customers did they??

I know that I did not have WLS to save money on food , but to improve the quality of my life.

I also don't think that restaurants have an obligation at a buffet to offer a discount for smaller portions. Afterall, it is a buffet. At a sitdown restaurant, I can order what I want , so I tend to frequent these restaurants anyway and take home what I cant eat. At least for me, I find most buffets the wrong place for me to go because they are grazing joints and I tend to eat a LOT more because I can and there are so many choices of soft foods that go through the band.

So I beg to difer on this topic. If its truly a money issue, I say dont go there and pick another place that offers smaller portions at a more affordable price.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish