Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi Emma, wow 2 new Aussies in one night - great stuff :). Congrats on your op soon, wish you all the best and looking forward to being with you on your journey.

You are on a great thread here and you will find lots of useful information, but if there is anything you need to know and you can't find it in our previous discussions just ask and you will get lots of support. There is definitely a great bunch of people here and I would be lost without this site

Kayargh, I remember taking my steri strips off and one incision was very tender and I was scared to roll over in bed thinking it was going to pop open. I also remember how itchy my 5 little incisions got. How are you feeling anyway, hope you are getting better as each day passes. Time flies when life gets better, I just love my weekends now and funnily bugging my hubby to go and do something active as previously was always tired and didn't want to go out of the house.

Hehehe. I passed out and found myself on the bathroom floor taking off my Steri strips. Lol. I feel like a goose now, but I really truly thought that when I took them off, all my insides would pour out of that tiny little hole.

Hi,

I'm Emma from Melbourne, getting sleeved in one day's time! .... Nervous!!

Hi Emma! So xcited for you!!!

Yes they are itchy, the strips were irritating my skin so I had to take them off. I roll over and it feels a little less secure now and I'm worried I will scratch in my sleep! Funny Puppyphat, I know exactly what you mean. Shell I am doing ok thanks. Tomorrow (should I say today- its 1:43am!) will be one week post op. I seem to be tolerating eating so far. I feel instant discomfort and sometimes a sharp pain when food enters my stomach (Bella Banana) but it subsides just as quickly which is good. Having at least one Optifast a day, liquid supplements and liquid veges and such. Water is so harsh on Bella banana but green tea is soothing, so I am drinking lots of that. Using hydralyte ice blocks just to stave off dehydration. Getting in my 30 mins walk every day, praying I don't get a leak- the usual!

Hi Emma, I thought u may have been an Aussie as you referred to kilos rather than pounds. I should have told you about this thread- but I am glad u found us! Good luck with your surgery!!! Check in with us when you can, let us know how u are doing :-)

Yes they are itchy' date=' the strips were irritating my skin so I had to take them off. I roll over and it feels a little less secure now and I'm worried I will scratch in my sleep! Funny Puppyphat, I know exactly what you mean. Shell I am doing ok thanks. Tomorrow (should I say today- its 1:43am!) will be one week post op. I seem to be tolerating eating so far. I feel instant discomfort and sometimes a sharp pain when food enters my stomach (Bella Banana) but it subsides just as quickly which is good. Having at least one Optifast a day, liquid supplements and liquid veges and such. Water is so harsh on Bella banana but green tea is soothing, so I am drinking lots of that. Using hydralyte ice blocks just to stave off dehydration. Getting in my 30 mins walk every day, praying I don't get a leak- the usual![/quote']

You are doing very well by the sound of it. Don't worry about a leak at this stage, as it's hughly unlikely. The pain you get on first eating/drinking is swelling of Bella Banaa. That will subside after 28 days. Keep up the good work. I feel sack as I haven't done any exercise yet. Life keeps getting in the way, but I know I should do it.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Hey all,

Sounds like everyone is doing great, some set backs (poor Lila), but over all well. I have been only reading and not posting as had nothing to post about, really, but today I am only one week out from having my lap band taken out, which means I'm (hopefully) only 11-12 weeks out from getting the sleeve.

It feels like it's taken FOREVER to get to this stage, but this last week at work Im busy getting everything done before I head off so that the handover to my co-worker isn't so huge. Her team is really self sufficient and she's often just bored to tears, where as mos t of my guys are the kind that need me to sew their name in their underpants before they go off on a business trip (read: they be some needy males!). I don't want to overwhelm her, because when I go into have the sleeve someone will have to babysit my guys a lot longer, so don't want to scare her off! Hahaha

Right now I'm pre-op ing with Optifast, though my surgeon asked me why. I explained the whole liver shrinkage thing and he just laughed and said if I felt I needed to do it then go for it, but that it wasn't necessary. Come to think of it when I had my band in the surgeon who did that didn't require a pre-op VLCD either....hmmm. I wonder why some say you have to and others don't. But I can tell you I'm just about choc Opti'd out, going today to see if I can get some bars to help me through. I don't like the strawberry or vanilla, but I think I remember seeing a choc-caramel or toffee opti bar. Hopefully bit more savory sweet.

Once the band is out I'm going to try to use the ol' Jedi mind trick and convince myself I've HAD the sleeve and eat like a new sleever until I get it for rea! Hahaha

Aside from that just reading here and all over the net about sleeve experiences and watching every YouTube video on VSG and DS I can find (since DS is possibly the last stage). Hope everyone continues to do well and I will update when I'm disbanded!

Cheers!

OMG! I'm so glad I found you guys!! It's been so hard to find Aussie Sleevers out there!

Let me indroduce myself, my name is Mim and I'm from Sydney. I have already had an appointment with Dr. Craig Taylor at Crows Nest and was booked into surgery for the 15th October for a band. I originally wanted a sleeve and he recommended the band to me because I think he saw how daunted I was by the sleeve, anyhow I freaked out and cancelled the band and after thinking and lurking around forums I decided that I may book myself in next year for the sleeve. It just seems that people are generally happier with the Sleeve. I decided to book next year because at the moment work is very busy and I can't get the leave that I need for the surgery.

I'm glad to have found you all and look forward to picking your brains about everything sleeve!!!!

Hi KristiP - I'm hoping you don't mind my nosiness - I was wondering what happened with your band to need it out? I just find it interesting with the bands. Sleeve still seems to have a stigma (my experience), but the bands don't. But it seems like a whole lot of banders have had issues.

Hi I was 2 weeks post yesterday onto puree stage.I pureed corn beef pumpkin peas and potatoe went like a paste but tasted the same could only have maybe 1/4 -1/2 a cup.Im trying mashed bake Beans and advocado today.

One thing I have notice is im not weeing alot could I be dehydrated a bit????

Hi I was 2 weeks post yesterday onto puree stage.I pureed corn beef pumpkin peas and potatoe went like a paste but tasted the same could only have maybe 1/4 -1/2 a cup.Im trying mashed bake Beans and advocado today.

One thing I have notice is im not weeing alot could I be dehydrated a bit????

Hi Jules, during that stage my dietician advised me to drink a min of 2 lts each day pref Water and if you not eeng much or it is dark you coud be getting dehydrated. Suggest you up your Water. If your purees are a bit thick, thin them our a bit with liquid and they ho down easier. Good luck

I've noticed that my urine is a little on the dark side, but I can only manage to drink 1lt a day and even that is a struggle.

OMG! I'm so glad I found you guys!! It's been so hard to find Aussie Sleevers out there!

Let me indroduce myself' date=' my name is Mim and I'm from Sydney. I have already had an appointment with Dr. Craig Taylor at Crows Nest and was booked into surgery for the 15th October for a band. I originally wanted a sleeve and he recommended the band to me because I think he saw how daunted I was by the sleeve, anyhow I freaked out and cancelled the band and after thinking and lurking around forums I decided that I may book myself in next year for the sleeve. It just seems that people are generally happier with the Sleeve. I decided to book next year because at the moment work is very busy and I can't get the leave that I need for the surgery.

I'm glad to have found you all and look forward to picking your brains about everything sleeve!!!![/quote']

Hi Mim, welcome to this forum where you will learn heaps and get great support. Sleevers are a lot more positive than people with bands who seem to have lots of complications. Most of us here went through the whole band versus sleeve debate and it was a no brainer for me. I was looking for a permanent hassle free lifetime option and this is perfect. It is not an easy option though and still takes a lot of commitment and change. I look forward to chating with you further. Cheers Kelli

I've noticed that my urine is a little on the dark side' date=' but I can only manage to drink 1lt a day and even that is a struggle.[/quote']

Sorry, you need to up up your Water. I struggle with that every day too, but have started drinking a glass 10-15 minutes before eating and it helps.