Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi everyone' date='

Well I got my referral to see Dr Mark Daoud. Has anyone had their sleeve done by him? How long were you on pre op and what was the post op like? I have to wait till my referral comes in the mail to ring for an appointment. But my endo said he gets you through very quick

Cheers Bec[/quote']

Congratulations! I go to see my surgeon tomorrow. I saw the gp last Monday. I am a bit nervous and have been eating poorly.

NSV - no longer fear and avoid small toilet cubicles...That is all ;p

Congratulations! I go to see my surgeon tomorrow. I saw the gp last Monday. I am a bit nervous and have been eating poorly.

Thanks Misty,

I'm so excited and can't wait to get an appointment. Don't be nervous it'll be fine. And from what everyone has been saying it'll be the best thing ever and just think of the new u!!!!!!

Hi everyone' date='

Well I got my referral to see Dr Mark Daoud. Has anyone had their sleeve done by him? How long were you on pre op and what was the post op like? I have to wait till my referral comes in the mail to ring for an appointment. But my endo said he gets you through very quick

Cheers Bec[/quote']

Bec I saw him last year at Greenslopes for general surgery and he was very good.

Bec I saw him last year at Greenslopes for general surgery and he was very good.

Awesome thanks Kelliv!!!

Hi everyone - Just touching base as like puppyphat, things have been going along quite nicely. I have done my catch up read and can see more and more people joining our thread and a few of the old crowd ducking in for a visit - wow Shell!

I am still concentrating on my maintenance but have dropped another kilo over the last few weeks - now weighing 61.4kg (167cm and 51 yrs old sleeved on 18 July 2012 - pre-op weight 103kg for those of you who don't know my history).

Hi sue, just reading about your stats and have to say you have done remarkably well and must be feeling so good about yourself. I was wondering whether your current weight is close to your initial goal. My surgeon has never talked about goal weights and the dietician just talks about losing about 60% of my excess weight. I am a year older than you and 170 cms tall and started out at 109.9 kgs. I have my own goal at present of 72 kgs. Reading your stats I am thinking maybe I could get lower, say to 68 kgs. I have lost about 21 kgs now and sitting on 88.5 kgs. That's about 50% of my excess and I would be disappointed to think this is almost it. given we are similar starting stats was just wondering how you determined your goal. Thank you, Kate.

Hi sue' date=' just reading about your stats and have to say you have done remarkably well and must be feeling so good about yourself. I was wondering whether your current weight is close to your initial goal. My surgeon has never talked about goal weights and the dietician just talks about losing about 60% of my excess weight. I am a year older than you and 170 cms tall and started out at 109.9 kgs. I have my own goal at present of 72 kgs. Reading your stats I am thinking maybe I could get lower, say to 68 kgs. I have lost about 21 kgs now and sitting on 88.5 kgs. That's about 50% of my excess and I would be disappointed to think this is almost it. given we are similar starting stats was just wondering how you determined your goal. Thank you, Kate.[/quote']

Hi Kate, i am 51 and started at 107kg. Sleeved 14/8/12 and currently down 29kg to 78kg. Dietician suggested 70kg. Surgeon hasn't mentioned a goal, but asked me when I saw him recently what I was aiming for. I would like to get into 60's so am aiming for 68kg. Similar stats to you really. Cheers Kelli

On my way to see the surgeon. Ironically squished into the train seat next to another woman about my size. I feel like apologising and saying "Yes I know. I'm doing something about it." LOL

Good luck Misty!!! I hope it all goes well and you are able to get the information that you need to make the right decision for you...and yes we do not discriminate, you are welcome to come here for support even if you choose RNY :)

Dean, way to fly the Aussie flag. Love the profile piece.

I so need to get up to Brissy to meet all you Brisbanites :)...and yes Dean maybe you can bring along on single cops hehehe

On goal weights, neither my surgeon or endo ever mentioned a goal weight. I always had 75kgs in my head, which means i would literally be half the person I started out as. My endo was happy when I hit the mid 80's and was happy if I didnt loose another kg...

I currently sit around 77-78kgs (BMI 27) and feel comfortable here. I think there comes a point where you get to a weight where you are comfortable that you can maintain, your body and head generally tells you what this is.

I am going to start talking to plastic surgeons shortly about getting rid of the excess skin, atleast on the arms.....scary!!!

Hi sue' date=' just reading about your stats and have to say you have done remarkably well and must be feeling so good about yourself. I was wondering whether your current weight is close to your initial goal. My surgeon has never talked about goal weights and the dietician just talks about losing about 60% of my excess weight. I am a year older than you and 170 cms tall and started out at 109.9 kgs. I have my own goal at present of 72 kgs. Reading your stats I am thinking maybe I could get lower, say to 68 kgs. I have lost about 21 kgs now and sitting on 88.5 kgs. That's about 50% of my excess and I would be disappointed to think this is almost it. given we are similar starting stats was just wondering how you determined your goal. Thank you, Kate.[/quote']

Hi Kate - I am not sure what my surgeon based my goal weight on but assume it was just so I was within the healthy BMI with a bit of a margin. The surgeon set my goal at 65kg but I actually set my own goal of 69kg - That weight would give me a BMI of 25 which is JUST in the healthy range - I would be happy with that. Any additional weight loss I have considered a bonus (I am sitting around 61-62kg now)! To be honest, because I have not exercised I think I will gain a bit with muscle weight when I do start - I know i am not the model sleever!! - everyone else seems to have embraced the exercise but I can't get there!! YET - I still have good intentions!

At the moment I am still finding it hard to stop the weight going down. The surgeon has told me this won't last if I don't start exercising because my metabolic rate is so low that as my capacity to eat a few more calories increases I will gain weight - not looking forward to that feeling!

At the moment I still eat small meals often - I think this is the way I will always eat now. I had another swallow test recently and my sleeve is at the exact size you want it (about as wide as your asophagus) so I don't want to force any large quantities in. I have heard different things about weather you can stretch your stomach but from my experience so far, you certainly could increase what you can eat if you really wanted to - also I notice that I do get hungry now (which I didn't in the early days) - the hunger is no way as intense as it was pre op and I am still easily satisfied with a few nuts or something small!

Sorry for the long winded answer! Don't worry about your weight, it will come down. I think everyone losers at different rates but eventually gets there - I think 60% of excess weight might be based on old stats when they didn't make the sleeves as small so therefore didn't get as large weight loss results - it sounds a bit on the conservative side - I could be wrong about that but run it past your dietician. I know my dietician told me that my surgeon used to make the sleeves bigger when they first started doing the procedure but didn't get as good weight loss results. I think my surgeon also told me that it is 80% where the band was less - can't remember what % exactly.

Also I think the BMI is just a guide as it totally discounts muscle and your frame. It is all just numbers and stats so I am not a big one for seeing them as definitive. All the best for your continued journey Kate! You will be joining me on maintenance in no time!

9 weeks and 13kg.

I had an appointment this morning and am to return in 9 weeks time. This concides with my appointment with my surgeon for my one year post op check. June seems still a while away but now that it's really only 9 weeks, I'm shitting myself. I'm worried I won't get to my goal of 60kg lost by the time I see him.

I am getting my SLEEVE on May 14! I have to have a telephone appointment with the dietitian first but may not need to do a pre-op diet at all since I am under 100 kg. The surgeon would have been happy to sleeve me this Friday actually! But I have several commitments including travel to America next week and a concert to play on May 11.

I am thrilled. Need to talk to my husband about it to make sure he is ok with the dates and need to talk to the private insurance. Also need to sell the rest of my stock. Looks like the out of pocket will be 6500 plus the anaesthetist and hospital few. Two days in hospital.

Congrats Dean - you are now officially our Aussie sleeve star!

Thanks. I was flattered when they PM'd me and asked, but now the newsletter is out it's a bit.......... umm naff

Hi Kate, i am 51 and started at 107kg. Sleeved 14/8/12 and currently down 29kg to 78kg. Dietician suggested 70kg. Surgeon hasn't mentioned a goal, but asked me when I saw him recently what I was aiming for. I would like to get into 60's so am aiming for 68kg. Similar stats to you really. Cheers Kelli

Err, I've met you Kell. Must've been a typo. You meant 41, obviously.

Good luck Misty!!! I hope it all goes well and you are able to get the information that you need to make the right decision for you...and yes we do not discriminate, you are welcome to come here for support even if you choose RNY :)

Dean, way to fly the Aussie flag. Love the profile piece.

I so need to get up to Brissy to meet all you Brisbanites :)...and yes Dean maybe you can bring along on single cops hehehe

On goal weights, neither my surgeon or endo ever mentioned a goal weight. I always had 75kgs in my head, which means i would literally be half the person I started out as. My endo was happy when I hit the mid 80's and was happy if I didnt loose another kg...

I currently sit around 77-78kgs (BMI 27) and feel comfortable here. I think there comes a point where you get to a weight where you are comfortable that you can maintain, your body and head generally tells you what this is.

I am going to start talking to plastic surgeons shortly about getting rid of the excess skin, atleast on the arms.....scary!!!

Would love to meet.

I'll bring a couple along. That way, you can take your pick. Or be greedy! ;):P