Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I've Began To Mourn Food :(

I've been very positive up until this point. I've had the exemplary recovery. No puking, Minimal pain, and i can handle ANYTHING (no nausea) i put in my sleeve. Somethings sit a little heavier (discomfort) than others and I feel a little discomfort when i drink too much at once. Ok to the mourning part lol. My mom and I went to Jasons deli today where i got a cup of chili. I was only able to eat like 3 spoons before i started feeling discomfort :(..... The amount is not the issue, well yes it is,, well IDK lol.. I know ill never be a buffet queen again but i just want to be NORMAL again. Ya know eat what i want IN MODERATION and gulp a nice cold Powerade without feeling like its going to power through my chest. I guess i dont know what the issue is .. Maybe its my darn hormones :(.. I just miss food.. i find myself slightly regretting my surgery. and not for the reason that i thought. The surgery itself and recovery are fine.. I regret not being able to STUFF my face on command ..ok im through Rambling hopefully somebody understands what im going through. I just want to be normal again

Absolutely, I totally understand what you're going through. I went out with hubby and suddenly really, really wanted a sandwich. 2 pieces of bread, meat, mayo, cheese, lettuce, Tomato. I'm still on full liquids so that is totally out of question. I almost cried. Just remember, the weight is going to start falling off, making us feel better about it; and WE WILL be able to eat more in the future. I send you a sister in misery hug!

Hi Anewlife... That is exacyly what im afraid of when i get sleeved 6/14. Im afraid ill miss food. But ppl say it will get better but its going to take a while. When i think of hiw much my back and knees hurt, it puts things back in perspective -- im doing tjis for my health. I hope it gets better for you.......

you're right! gotta remember our priorities.

see that makes me feel worse because i didn't have any of those issues.. HOWEVER i keep reminding myself that if i kept getting bigger it probably wouldve developed so ill suck it up and go run my Jasons deli chicken chili through the blender lol im on pureed..bt ive been cheating a tad

I think probably your hormones are kicking in big time but you r one in 1,000 of us who have these feeling every so often. I am almost 4 months out and I go out and eat quite often i order reg meals take some home or several of my favorite sides I and eat tablespoons of each maybe take some home. I went on a camp out with friends and ate a little bit of each food from potato salad to Pasta salad and grilled meats. In a few months you will be able to enjoy all your favorites just in smaller amts. The difference is the small amts. will be more satisfing and the scale will make you so much happier and healthier than you have ever felt! Be happy! Better days are coming. (I find myself gulping down drinks it doesn't hurt anymore but I have to remind myself to go slow)

I felt the same way at first, but trust me it gets better!! I went to the gym when I started feeling that way and now I'm obsessed with the gym and not food. I got sleeved 04/03/12 and I've lost 34lbs and feel amazing!!! Keep a positive mind frame you got this Girly

I totally understand too. I miss food immensely! I'm still on full liquids so that makes 3 weeks of liquids so far and add another for mostly liquids prior to full liquids. I MISS CHEWING! I miss flavor. It's funny, I will be at a grocery store or out driving with someone and I'll say I want that, and that, and that, and that. I really miss pizza. My friend got chips and salsa and I started dipping my fork in the salsa just for the taste of salsa! LOL. I can't wait for the pureed stage. However, my desire for food scares me in that maybe I'll go crazy nuts when I can eat. :(

thanks so much smileen and Bsleeve thats what i needed to hear.. that it wont always be this way.. Stirling2002 i feel you girl. I laugh at myself sometimes because i crave things that i didnt even like before surgery. Like CORNBREAD i HATE cornbread with a passion before surgery but now post op its like i think about it everyday lol WEIRD!!

Happy to help! This forum saved me too so always post when you're concerned or anything! I feel normal again just can't eat too much, but I NEVER think of food now I have to remind myself to eat its crazy!! Drink lots of Water too it helps with the cravings

Let me just tell you that I mourned food so badly that I kept my kids potato chip bags just to smell them. It was the most horrible thing I have EVER experienced...and I've been through some bad stuff!!!!

But, I also want to tell you that it gets so much better...day by day. After my surgery I kept thinking "will I ever NOT regret this?" Unlike you, I had a terrible recovery! I stayed in the hospital for a week because my heart rate would not go up...I couldn't get ANYTHING down for almost 2 weeks. In those 2 weeks I lost 20 lbs, and I thought that would make me feel better but I only wanted to reverse time and stay fat! I just wanted to be NORMAL....thats all I kept saying to everyone...I feel like I'll never be normal again!

Believe me, you will be! I'm still only 2 months out and I feel more and more normal with every day that goes by. I no longer regret the surgery.... What your experiencing is the withdrawl, because I totally believe that food is our addiction. This will go away, I promise you - and this is coming from a person who prayed to God to rewind my life so I could change my mind about the surgery. Today I can totally say it was the best decision.

My husband and I went out a couple weeks ago to a gourmet deli. I got a roast beef sandwhich and I ate the WHOLE thing....it took me 5 hours LOL But, I'm still loosing weight because, besides a Protein Shake, that was the only thing I ate that day. I think that how you feel (craving to stuff your face with food) will go away soon. Just be patient and remember that you did this for a reason..and you aren't alone!

Thank you so much.. Thats all i want. I just want to bite a sandwich and not have discomfort going down. Yep and its definitely my hormones because reading your response just made me cry lol. have NO CLUE why im crying.. maybe im crying over my old best friend.FOOD!

I'm sorry your going through that, I know exactly how you feel and I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy. After surgery my hormones were going crazy too!

I know this sounds weird..and it may not help you at all...but I got through a lot of my food mourning by watching the food channel on TV. Yes, I couldn't have the food...but I would watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, chopped...and all the cooking shows. For some reason, that helped me LOL

Now, I hardly watch them at all and I think thats how I know the mourning stage has passed... You WILL be normal again, I promise :)

OMG!!!!!!! i spent the ENTIIiiiiiire day yesterday watching food NETWORK!! you so understand me!!! thank you for your encouragement

Lol...I dvr dive diners and drives {think that's the name} i