Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation - What To Expect?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and in the very beginning stages of my journey to a new me in 2012. I have found so much great information from you all but I am really wondering about the psych evaluation. For some reason it has me a bit nervous and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect.

thank you!

It shouldn't be too big a deal. Don't tell them about your ancient history.. if you're 40 and you tried pot in college, you can leave that out. LOL My psyche consult told me I would be an alcoholic after surgery. She was wrong. Just stay calm and it will be okay. They're trying to weed out the people who won't be able to handle the changes to their psyche from losing weight. You're "normal", right? ;)

Absolutely normal! I guess it's the fear that they'll be trying to find a reason I'm crazy or make me think I'm crazy...like the "You'll be an alcholic after surgery" thing. I read somewhere that it's about a three hour process. True?

I had to do a survey first. There were like 200 short statements that I have to rate on a 1-5 scale and a lot of the the statements were the same but worded differently. Like: "On a scale o 1 -5 do you feel like you have a support system in place?" Then later I'd read: "On a scale of 1-5 are you lacking support?" The Doc said they don't do that to trip you up but to see if you can read and comprehend. We are expected to be educated about this journey and we have to sign A LOT of forms for consent, etc. He said that for patients where the scores come back funky, he recommends additional "classes" to help educate them that may take an additional 3 months to 1 year. Also, like Lissa said, there were a TON of questions about drugs and alcohol and he said, seriously, NOT interested in ancient history. You'll be fine!! Have fun!

I had to count backwards from 100 by 7. A nurse who works in the program said they don't care what you give as long as you don't get really angry.

count down from 100 by 7's ? Good gravy, I wouldn't be able to do that ! 100, 93, ummm..... but I guess I wouldn't get angry about it, I'd just feel stupid. :huh:

I've never heard of the test where you have to count backwards by sevens. Sounds pretty... innovative! I probably would have turned red with embarassment as I tried (unsuccessfully) to do the math in my head.

My psych eval was very simple. I just talked to the psychologist about my weight history, what I expected from the surgery, and things like that. I also had to take that long questionairre - which was a bit repetitive, like they were trying to "catch you" cheating the test by being inconsistent. LOL!

I think they want to make sure your expectations for the surgery are in check, that you are reasonably stable and have a support system in place. They also want to make sure that if you've had an eating disorder, that it has been under control. There are a few other red flags that they look for. Very few people fail the psych eval... most people that get this far in the process are fairly good candidates.

All in all, it took about an hour and cost my $20 co-pay. I have heard that some people have much more extensive evaluations than I had, though. But, don't worry. For most of us, this is a pretty brief and painless encounter. You don't need to lay on a couch and cry about how your mother never let you dance ballet when you were five... unless you really want to.

I just had my psych eval and it was a piece of cake... No pun intended. She asked about family history, diet history, support system, my views on what I planned to get out the procedure. Basically she was looking for unrealistic expectations and acknowledgement of the life change ahead. Best advice I could give is be honest and especially be yourself.

Good luck!