Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Days Out And I Finally Felt Hunger

eaOK, I have had a VERY smooth ride. So smooth that I wonder if anything was really done besides a couple of tiny incisions where CO2 was added to my abdominal cavity. The worst thing so far has been the bloating and the gas. The bloating finally seemed to disappear yesterday after a nap and the gas is... slowly making it's way out- but, being no stranger to surgery, I have had worse. During these 7 days, I have felt no hunger. I mean nothing! It's scary. So today, I felt well enough to volunteer a couple of hours at my daughters school and I felt "hunger". Not head hunger but really like my body needed nourishment. I had something to drink, finished up my work, and as soon as I got home, had a Protein Shake, LOL, it took me about an hour to get 28 grams of Protein down but I did it. I try to get 2 of those a day and I am usually successful.

For those that are further out from surgery, how do you manage family gatherings or going out to dinner when the feeling of hunger is almost non-existent? While many of us have had too much pleasure from food, it is a part of family and it is very social so I also wonder how we sleevers ever really get to enjoy eating in a social gathering when the hunger or desire for food is so greatly diminished?

It does get better and yes, you do get hungry...eventually but you just cant eat very much at one time. I have been out to dinner with friends/family several times since surgery and I do eat...just not as much as everyone else. I make smarter choices that I used to and I get a to-go box right away and put most of it in the box to take home. I havent felt like I am going without at all, it has been kinda nice. You will do just fine, just think positive!

Thank you! Don't get me wrong... I see all the benefits to this :D I just really have no desire to eat. I don't know if the surgery impacted my psyche where I just don't want to eat or if my desire is truly gone. Everything is a turn off. Will I still be able to cook?!?!?!

Hey Fluffy. I'm also 7 days out but I'm total opposite. I'm ready to eat!! Can't wait for Monday so I can start "mushies." The fullest liquid I've had is Tomato Soup and it was heavenly. Ha. I'm pretty sure that what I have is head hunger but I can't really tell. Congrats!

Oh yes, I cook all the time. I make dinner for my husband and kids all the time.Sometimes I eat what I cook for them , sometimes I dont, depends on what they ask for! I even make Desserts, Cookies etc. I try to go sugar free or at least low fat on the desserts tho!

I had surgery 3 weeks ago today. It was the same for me at first then slowly I could feel hunger return and I was happy to feel normal...but as others have said, you will be easily satisfied with a tiny amount of food. Spacing liquid intake with shakes and meals takes some getting used to. I am great with liquids. Last week I invited family over for tostadas and I still loved cooking...I had 1/2 cup of refried Beans with cheese and a little salsa and sour cream. I got a little overly full (just one bite too many) so I took a walk and felt just fine. Good Luck!