Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tomorrow And Im Freaking Out Mentally.

I have surgery tomorrow and im freaking out in the head about if im doing the right thing. I know its what I need for long term weight loss success. I guess im scared that Ill eat like a bird forever and be looked at differently and wont feel confident out at dinners with friends anymore. But obviously I am overweight because I abuse food and somewhat have an addiction to it. Breaking any addiction is hard, so I shouldnt expect this is be any different. Does anyone have any advice? Its hard to talk to people about it because I dont know anyone that has had it done. I dont have a lot of support and everyone keeps saying that Im not that big and dont need something this serious. Help!

I haven't had the surgery yet but I just wanted to tell you you're not alone. Freaking out it natural; you're about to change your whole life. But you're changing it for the better. And you've found a forum that will give you the support you need. Hang in there and keep us posted!

I went through the same exact thing. I knew in my heart though that I really needed to have something drastic done because I was losing and gaining repeatedly and I was SOOO tired of going from diet to diet. My friends told me I didn't need anything as final as surgery, but I really wanted it. I knew I could lose a lot of weight by just dieting but I had gained it back so many times.... At first, I was SURE I wanted the surgery.

A few days before surgery I started to have doubts. I started thinking something might go wrong during surgery, that I might die, that GOD may be against my having surgery.

Now, 4 weeks down the road I can say that I'm glad I have had the surgery. The first week or so afterward I was really thinking I had made the wrong decision. And sometimes (when my family is eating pork chops) I still hate that I can't eat "normally". But I know it will get better and I will find other things besides food to enjoy.

If you have gotten this far being sure that you want this surgery and you're just now having second thoughts I would say that you are getting cold feet. Your friends don't live in your body. Maybe they don't have weight issues so they can't possibly understand or maybe they are afraid to have surgery. My good friend was really against my having surgery because she just felt I wasn't big enough (she's heavier than I am). Now that I'm losing weight she is having 2nd thoughts, she's actually looking into the surgery for herself.

Having a positive outlook is essential so my advice is to make up your mind and stick by your decision. Go in to surgery with a great attitude and feel good that you are doing this for yourself. A few weeks of pain are nothing compared to the years of not dealing with the fat anymore.

Good luck!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches