Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want Opinions Plz - Full Fat Vs Low Fat

I've been thinking about life after sleeve, mostly how and what I will be eating since I've been starving on my preop diet! I previously enjoyed regular mayo, full fat Salad Dressing, butter, etc...

My question is since I'll be eating so much less, shouldn't I really enjoy what I eat? Do I need to try to replace what I used to love for all low fat and fat free choices? Or do a lot of you indulge in reg mayo and full fat dressings on your salads because they are in so much smaller quantities?

I know using low fat/FF would help lose faster, but how about life ever after for those who have reached goal or are below goal?

Please give me your opinions.

I'm no where near goal, but many of the posts I've read, from very successful people, claim that they don't have to track their food nearly as much if they exercise regularly and following the plan of Protein first, then Veggies, then Starches/Carbs.

Good luck!

I can't eat salads yet, but when I can I will use regular salad dressing. My sleeve can only hold such a teeny, tiny bit of food that I hardly think it matters. I love salads and have tried to picture how eating them again is going to work. Thinking of an entire plate of salad, like I used to eat, is just downright comical. A shot glass of salad is much more realistic at this point.

mayo is never on my menu, I can't stand the stuff and even eat tuna dry.

I do follow the Protein first rule and eat whatever I want. I guess there may come a day when I can fit more in my sleeve than just Protein, but for now, I just pick yummy protein sources and don't bother counting calories.

I am not a fan of low fat or fat free anything, except maybe milk. My main reason is when the fat is taken out it is usually replaced with something unpronounceable ! I do believe in eating real foods....nothing synthetic, no preservatives, etc. My goal is not only to lose weight but to also be as healthy as possible. Since I am only four weeks post op, I have just recently started eating regular foods, and this is what I have been doing. Real food, of course Proteins first, then veggies, etc.

I am not a fan of low fat or fat free anything' date=' except maybe milk. My main reason is when the fat is taken out it is usually replaced with something unpronounceable ! I do believe in eating real foods....nothing synthetic, no preservatives, etc. My goal is not only to lose weight but to also be as healthy as possible. Since I am only four weeks post op, I have just recently started eating regular foods, and this is what I have been doing. Real food, of course Proteins first, then veggies, etc.[/quote']

Im not into the fat free stuff either. How much weight have you lost?

I think you can do either or a combination of both. I happen to do a combination. Some lowfat stuff is very good, some not. I pick and choose. mayo and cheese are definitely full fat. Hot dogs, bologna, pepperoni are low fat. Those are just a few examples, but you get the idea.

I use real honey and 1/2 n1/2 in my coffee. I am working on this one but only drink maybe a cup and a half daily.

I use very small amounts of real butter. I love mayo but avoid it at all costs for it is like chocolate to me.

I do eat a lot of fat free or lowfat preferrable but there are somethings I just don't bend on. I hate any kind of artificial sweetner , except for crystal lite lemon flavored Decaf iced tea.

I don't do the nonfat foods because they are loaded with sugar and sugar is toxic and addicting. I eat Protein first then some veggies. I do eat Protein Bars but seldom. I want to eat simple and organic. Here's to good health! Cheers!

I almost always use full-fat products. The only thing I can think of that I prefer to buy lowfat is Caesar Salad Dressing. First off, fat fills you up better; second, a lot of times the manufacturers replace the fat with sugar and/or weird chemicals. I always read the labels and it's almost always the case, so I usually go for full-fat options. That Caesar dressing is the only exception, because the lowfat version simply has more Water than the full-fat, and no sugar or other weird stuff to make up for it. Plus I find the original one a little TOO creamy for my taste!

I am a big believer in "clean eating" too. Most non-fat (and many low-fat) products have lots of nasty things in them. I will do lowfat dairy (like lowfat sour cream, yogurt, cheese). I have found that my sleeve doesn't like mayo so I rarely have any.

I do track all my food on MFP, and I watch my fat and carbs - but I focus mostly on calories and Protein, and as long as I hit the appropriate targets for both, the fat and carbs don't seem to matter all that much for me.