Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obesity: The Next Protected Class

This might seem a bit off topic and I’m not really sure what forum this belongs in. It is a serious topic for sure and would almost border on being political. I wonder how everyone else feels about this subject. We have all kinds of protected classes within our society, such as gender, race, sexual orientation, disability, etc. Do you think obesity should be the next protected class? I’m sure we have all felt as though we were treated differently due to our weight. This might include not getting a job or promotion. Perhaps you’ve been given the cold shoulder by sales people when they’ve chosen to wait on someone else. How about a dirty look when you sit next to someone on a plane. Have you overhear comments by others when you enter a restaurant? Did someone refuse to let you sit next to them on the bus?

Does anyone have any such stories they would like to share? I’m a pretty thick skinned individual and most things bounce right off me. However, my wife is a “plus size” girl and I would be very upset if someone were to make a comment or similar about her. I had a pastor many years ago make a comment about overweight women. Needless to say we no longer go to that church and he is no longer a pastor there.

I was in Germany on a business trip with a co-worker about 10 years ago. My co-worker, who was much bigger than I, sat down on a chair at an outdoor restaurant. When he did so the chair collapsed. The entire restaurant burst into laughter. I felt so bad for him. What seemed to make things worse was the fact that nearly everyone in Europe is thin and he really stuck out from the crowd.

So what does everyone think? Are there enough protected classes already and it would be silly to have another? Does the ever expanding waistline of America warrant protection from discrimination?

We all know that being overweight does not mean we are lazy. I think we work even harder than other people to break this stereotype. Many of us are on the way to a slimmer waistline, but that does not mean we are no longer sympathetic to the humiliation that other go through every day.

IMHO, you can't legislate decency. In other words, even if obesity is a "protected class", that's not going to keep people with crappy manners from laughing at your friend when he collapsed a chair, or similar things like that.

I personally think obesity kinda/sorta falls under the disability protections in the U.S. if the obesity is enough to cause physical problems. I'm pretty sure that's done on a case-by-case basis. I don't want someone looking at me, though, checking my BMI and then saying I am suddenly "disabled" or in need of special protection.

More than thirty percent of Americans are obese. It would be a bit ridiculous to put that many people in a protected class. Again, JMO, and others I'm sure may have very different views.

It's all about decency and fairness. One example is a growing movement underway that believes doctors should be health role models for their patients. They actually believe an overweight doctor is somehow less qualified to practice medicine. My primary care physician is an overweight individual and has had a practice since 1982. Should this doctor lose his license to practice medicine because he doesn't fit someone’s idea of what a doctor should look like? Should we allow this kind of nonsense to take hold or should we be more proactive to be sure it doesn't?

I'm the last person to suggest we need more legislation, but examine cell phone use while driving. This has been a simmering debate for over a decade now. People know that using their cell phone while driving is a danger to others, yet most continue to do so. Since the general public won't police themselves, our lawmakers are going to do this for us. Is this wrong? People often won't do the decent (right) thing unless they are forced to.

If ABC Company fails to hire an individual because they are looking for a younger worker and not the 63 year old person that applied, that's discrimination. You could just as easily substitute an obese person for the 63 year old. Legislation might not stop the laughing behind their back, but it would prevent a qualified obese person from being turned down.

Years ago it was common for a Landlord to refuse to rent a home because they didn't like the idea of the applicant having children. Most would agree these Landlords were wrong by not doing the decent and fair thing. Now "family status" is a protected class and Landlords cannot discriminate against these individuals. This new legislation has forced Landlords to be fair.

This too is JMHO and I love to play the devil’s advocate!

If you are a thick skinned person. Then why all this stress about legisytation? It won't change how people think about obese individuals. I don't want or need any laws saying obese people are handicapped. There not and should be treated as equals. I day let it go.

I guess that's my point. It would not change how people THINK about obese individuals, but it would prevent them from being TREATED any differently than anyone else.

Veterans are not handicapped. Being female or male doesn't make someone handicapped. You are not handicapped if your original country of origin is Yemen. None of these groups are handicapped, but they are afforded the luxury of being treated as though they are just like everyone else.

I don't think obesity should be a protected class. Obesity can interfere with job performance for some jobs.

I can only use my own experience at home as a basis of my opinion. I know in my personal life, I am amazed at the the things I do now that I'm 70 pounds lighter that I didn't even try to do at my higher weight. I didn't even realize I was avoiding those behaviors.

When at my heaviest, I wouldn't bend down to get something that has rolled under a table, and I wouldn't climb up a flight of stairs in my home. At my higher weight, I would get one of my kids to pick up my item on the floor, and I would yell up the stairs to wake my kids instead of going up there.

Now I do it for myself because I can.

My examples aren't job-related, but I can see where obesity would prevent me from performing well doing certain required job activities.

I wasn't lazy when I was obese. I was active, but my body size prevented me from living my life to the fullest. I can see how obesity can interfere with some job performances. This is what is going to prevent obesity from being a protected class.

It is wrong to discriminate and make fun of someone who is obese, but legislation isn't the answer to prevent it.

Should we have a a protected class for junkies because they are addicted to crack or Heroine? They are treated differently and their condition is disabling. Where do you stop? What makes a person human is one thing; sex, color, ethnicity. Choices are a completely different thing. No one held you down and shoved that Twinkie down your throat any more than they shoved that needle in the other guys arm. That's the problem with America today; free speech has gone out the door. Should anyone make fun of another person for any reason... Absolutely not! (and trust me, I know plenty about this, I have two handicapped children), but guess what; last time I looked, the First Amendment still gave them the right to be an A$$ if they choose too. So if you value your other rights, suck it up. Once we allow them to take one, they can easily decide to take all.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Well said everyone. I love a topic that is different and sometimes controversial. I appreciate your thoughts.

Cobrargc ~ Have you had surgery or are you in the process of having it? Just curious. ;)

There is no place in the Constitution that says that you have a right to NOT be offended.

As for job performance, I would say yes, obesity can very much impact job performance and sick time.

I was a zombie from lack of sleep and it did affect my productivity. Some retail sales jobs and other high public profile jobs take your looks into account. I don't see obese retail clothing sales people. Face the facts. it's not good for what they have to sell. How about an obese personal trainer or gym membership rep?

Do we have to force another law on the workplace and everywhere else?

My health was not the only consideration for WLS. I saw the writing on the wall and knew that life insurance and health insurance was going to be severely impacted. God forbid Obamacare stays in place. What penalties do you think are going to be imposed on an obese person who needs more care than the general population?

Cobrargc ~ Have you had surgery or are you in the process of having it? Just curious. ;)

I'm 6 weeks post-op.

CONGRATS! How is everything going? Have you lost 9 lbs in pre-opt or is it post op?

No, I don't think obesity should be protected in the same way that gender or sexual orientation are.

And how can you prove discrimination against obesity? You didn't get the job and the obvious reason is because you are obese? I just can't see how you could prove something like that.

Should we have a a protected class for junkies because they are addicted to crack or Heroine? They are treated differently and their condition is disabling. Where do you stop? What makes a person human is one thing; sex, color, ethnicity. Choices are a completely different thing. No one held you down and shoved that Twinkie down your throat any more than they shoved that needle in the other guys arm. That's the problem with America today; free speech has gone out the door. Should anyone make fun of another person for any reason... Absolutely not! (and trust me, I know plenty about this, I have two handicapped children), but guess what; last time I looked, the First Amendment still gave them the right to be an A$$ if they choose too. So if you value your other rights, suck it up. Once we allow them to take one, they can easily decide to take all.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You don't see the irony in the "no one shoved a twinkie down your throat" comment coming from someone who had 80%+ of their stomach removed to lose weight?

The issue isn't free speech. It is whether or not an employer has the right to discriminate against you because of your size. If you are capable of doing your job, as many of you were prior to surgery, then why should you risk getting fired because you get a new boss who decides they don't like fat people? In an ideal world you get the job because you have the skills and abilities to do it.